LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Jl 8 inch w3v2 sub replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-07, 12:31 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jl 8 inch w3v2 sub replacement questions

i received a jl sub for christmas as the person who got it for me knew my sub went out on my 04 ls

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=19

that was the one i received. after doing research, i found that i shouldnt use a sub that has more than 40 watts rms.. this one for optimal sound is stating it needs 125watts. this is on the dual 2 ohm version. i dont want to replace the amp

my question is how would it affect my system if i were to install it and how would it sound? thanks in advance.
Old 12-24-07, 08:52 AM
scottmcc
Rookie

Default JL subwoofer

You should be fine on the wattage rating. The 125 watt rating on your sub is usually a peak wattage rating.

You should be more concerned with your impedance values.. Since you have the Dual 2 ohm voice coils You will most likely want to wire these voice coils in series as if you wire them in parallel your load on the amp will be close to 1 ohm and will most likely cause it to overheat or fail..

I believe the stock woofer is 2 ohms.

If you have an option to exchange your woofer for the 4 ohm verison, then wire the coils in parallel and it will perform well!

good luck and merry christmas
Old 12-24-07, 09:26 AM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scottmcc
You should be fine on the wattage rating. The 125 watt rating on your sub is usually a peak wattage rating.

You should be more concerned with your impedance values.. Since you have the Dual 2 ohm voice coils You will most likely want to wire these voice coils in series as if you wire them in parallel your load on the amp will be close to 1 ohm and will most likely cause it to overheat or fail..

I believe the stock woofer is 2 ohms.

If you have an option to exchange your woofer for the 4 ohm verison, then wire the coils in parallel and it will perform well!

good luck and merry christmas
thanks for the info, the sub suggest around at least 40-80 wats rms to run well and 200 watts is around peak. does your suggestion now change?

again, thanks, and happy holidays
Old 12-24-07, 09:50 AM
scottmcc
Rookie

Default JL subwoofer

No, my answer will stay the same.. as how you wire your voice coils will change the amount of power your amp will deliver..

If you have a amp that is rated at 100 watts @4 ohms and you put a 2 ohm load on it, it will deliver up to 200 watts..
If you put an 8 ohm load on this same amp it will only deliver around 50 watts of power..

That is why you should try to put a woofer that has 2 four ohm voice coils wired in Parallel to get a load rating of 2 ohms which is what the system was designed for.

I believe the amp in the Lexus is rated around 100 Watts @ 2 ohms and if you wire the woofer you have in series it will be a four ohm load, reducing the amount of power you amp will deliver to the woofer..If you wire the woofer in have in Parallel you may damage your amplifier..

I have a 05 LS 430 with the Mark Levinson sound system and that is what I am basing my theory on..

There is also some other facts that can be considered such as if you are using a Free air woofer which is a woofer designed not to be in a sealed or ported box..

I recently had a DVD system installed using the stock NAV and sound system and the Custom Installer said it was the best sounding stock system he has ever heard and he has installed in Mercedes, BMW, Lamborghini, etc..

I usually do this kind of work myself but I just could not get the nerve up to tear my beautiful dash apart...

I plan on upgrading my sub woofer soon myself so let me know how it sounds when you are done..

Scott
Old 12-24-07, 10:59 AM
bluerex
Lead Lap

No, my answer will stay the same.. as how you wire your voice coils will change the amount of power your amp will deliver..

If you have a amp that is rated at 100 watts @4 ohms and you put a 2 ohm load on it, it will deliver up to 200 watts..
If you put an 8 ohm load on this same amp it will only deliver around 50 watts of power..

That is why you should try to put a woofer that has 2 four ohm voice coils wired in Parallel to get a load rating of 2 ohms which is what the system was designed for.

I believe the amp in the Lexus is rated around 100 Watts @ 2 ohms and if you wire the woofer you have in series it will be a four ohm load, reducing the amount of power you amp will deliver to the woofer..If you wire the woofer in have in Parallel you may damage your amplifier..

I have a 05 LS 430 with the Mark Levinson sound system and that is what I am basing my theory on..

There is also some other facts that can be considered such as if you are using a Free air woofer which is a woofer designed not to be in a sealed or ported box..

I recently had a DVD system installed using the stock NAV and sound system and the Custom Installer said it was the best sounding stock system he has ever heard and he has installed in Mercedes, BMW, Lamborghini, etc..

I usually do this kind of work myself but I just could not get the nerve up to tear my beautiful dash apart...

I plan on upgrading my sub woofer soon myself so let me know how it sounds when you are done..

Scott
Thanks scott,

this may sound elementary to you, but how would i wire it series type?
Old 12-24-07, 04:23 PM
scottmcc
Rookie

Default wiring dual voice coil

If you wire in series, the negative from one coil
is wired to the positive of the other. Now you can
hook up the speaker with the remaining two leads.
In other words, the positive from the one coil and
the negative from the other.

If you wire in parallel, the positive from one coil
is wired to the positive of the other. The negative
terminals get wired together in the same fashion.
Now you connect the positive and negative terminals
to the amp. It doesn't matter which coil you come
off of because they're wired in parallel.
Old 12-26-07, 09:55 AM
bluerex
Lead Lap

If you wire in series, the negative from one coil
is wired to the positive of the other. Now you can
hook up the speaker with the remaining two leads.
In other words, the positive from the one coil and
the negative from the other.

If you wire in parallel, the positive from one coil
is wired to the positive of the other. The negative
terminals get wired together in the same fashion.
Now you connect the positive and negative terminals
to the amp. It doesn't matter which coil you come
off of because they're wired in parallel.

oh thanks scott,
so to paraphrase, i am going to run an extra wire connecting the - to + of the sub, and then run the wires from the amps to the corresponding - and + terminal. so 3 wires total right?
thanks again, its always nice having someone help you on issues
Old 12-26-07, 03:58 PM
scottmcc
Rookie

Can you clearly identify each voice coil? - and + ?

Place speaker in front of you with one voice coil set of terminals on your left and one set of voice coil terminals on your right..

Take one wire and connect the Negative terminal on the coil on your left to the Positive terminal on the voice coil on your right. You should now have two terminals with no wires on them.. Voice coil on left with nothing on the positive terminal and the voice coil on the right with nothing on the Negative terminal..

Connect the wires from the amp to the corresponding terminals that are remaining.

Negative to Negative

Positive to positive...
Old 12-26-07, 07:33 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

thanks...got it clearly now...i just want to make sure so i dont fry my amp. thanks