LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Elimiate Speed Governer on '05 LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 03:41 PM
SandyA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elimiate Speed Governer on '05 LS430?

Is there a way to get rid of the 131mph governer top speed limit on an '05 LS430?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-07, 07:35 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

I dont think I would want to be riding in an LS going any faster than 100 or so. Thats a heavy car that would get flipped off the road with a big bump at that speed.
Old 12-27-07, 08:15 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcory
I dont think I would want to be riding in an LS going any faster than 100 or so. Thats a heavy car that would get flipped off the road with a big bump at that speed.
It's somewhat stable.

Make sure you get appropriate tires.

I do not like to take the LS430 any higher than 120, the suspension gets a little hairy when the surfaces aren't smooth like some of the more expensive tracks. Even in sport mode.

I still think the S-Class and 7er are much better at supercruising speeds, but it's very rare that you can do that in America
Old 12-28-07, 12:17 AM
SandyA
Driver School Candidate

Default Jdm Ecu

Originally Posted by Win_Huynh
jdm ecu????
Has anyone here removed the limit? There's a guy with a youtube video who takes it up to 161mph (260kph), http://youtube.com/watch?v=47_qFLlTTe0

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-28-07, 03:28 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I've found the LS430 very stable, although I have not taken it above 120. I can't imagine it being less stable than my '97 LS400 at the same speeds, and I've found that stable when taken up to shutoff.
Old 12-28-07, 05:29 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious - but has anyone verified the speed limitations of the other drivetrain parts?

I know tires have a speed rating - but I'm talking about transmission, torque converter, drive shaft, etc...

I know I know - how can I make this comparison.. but bear with me: A few cars back, I owned a '96 T-bird V8. On the T-bird message boards people wanted to get rid of the governor on those also. Sadly, it was set to a pathetic 105mph! It turns out the torque converter & drive shaft couldn't withstand the higher RPMs or something. People would upgrade them with the Lincoln Mark VIII TC & driveshafts.

Lexus tends to over-engineer their vehicles (especially the LS) - but all I'm getting at is that the speed limitation might be there for a reason other than to keep you from going fast.
Old 12-28-07, 06:15 AM
SandyA
Driver School Candidate

Default Anyone know how to remove 131mph governer?

Originally Posted by MadMax96
Just curious - but has anyone verified the speed limitations of the other drivetrain parts?

...Lexus tends to over-engineer their vehicles (especially the LS) - but all I'm getting at is that the speed limitation might be there for a reason other than to keep you from going fast.
It is my understanding that the governer is not present in certain markets (like Abu-Dhabi), and that the cars are otherwise nearly identical. It is my understanding that Lexus does not make different drivetrain components for different markets.
Old 12-28-07, 07:47 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SandyA
It is my understanding that the governer is not present in certain markets (like Abu-Dhabi), and that the cars are otherwise nearly identical. It is my understanding that Lexus does not make different drivetrain components for different markets.
Ahh - I did not realize that. Have at it and let us know what she'll do!
Old 12-29-07, 04:16 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Is there a way to get rid of the 131mph governer top speed limit on an '05 LS430?

Thanks!
Yikes, why

I would thinks its would be pretty rare in most roads here in the US to get any extended speed that high. Maybe a burst here and there. Realistically, to build up speed that fast and to slow down without extensive braking, it would be a good 3 to 4 miles of "nice" clear stretch. I've done it in other cars before up to 140mph but it does get very hairy as you are risking your life and others on the road. Please be safe.
Old 01-10-08, 01:44 PM
lexusthai
Driver

Thanks!
There are a few products that will remove the speed limiter.

1. One of them is the SLD or the Speed Limit Defencer made by HKS. I'm not sure if they make one for 3UZ engines. http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=781
Attached Thumbnails Elimiate Speed Governer on '05 LS430?-untitled-1-copy.jpg  
Old 01-10-08, 01:46 PM
lexusthai
Driver

2. This is the one I have, APEXi RSM (Rev Speed Meter), not on my LS but on my Nissan Cefiro in Thailand (in my signature) that had a 2JZ-GTE (Supra engine) swap. http://www.advancedjdmparts.com/prod...roductid=18218

Standard features include: Engine RPM, Vehicle Speed, Travel Distance, and Battery Voltage (All which can be displayed in real time graph mode, numerical mode, or analogue mode; 1-4 channels at a time.), Peak Hold, Replay (With 60 second playback.), Speed Limiter Cut, 0-100m, 200m, 400m times with trap speed, 0-100km/h, 200km/h, 300km/h times, 100km/h, 200km/h, 300km/h E0 times, user defined Mid Range Acceleration, Stop Watch functions, Best Time Memory, RPM Warning, Speed Warning, RPM and Speed Outputs (For external devices requiring an RPM or speed signal.), Tire Size Correction (For acceleration and timing accuracy.), and Vehicle weight input.
Attached Thumbnails Elimiate Speed Governer on '05 LS430?-rsm.jpg  
Old 02-05-10, 12:26 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Think it would work on a 3UZ?

Originally Posted by lexusthai
2. This is the one I have, APEXi RSM (Rev Speed Meter), not on my LS but on my Nissan Cefiro in Thailand (in my signature) that had a 2JZ-GTE (Supra engine) swap. http://www.advancedjdmparts.com/prod...roductid=18218

Standard features include: Engine RPM, Vehicle Speed, Travel Distance, and Battery Voltage (All which can be displayed in real time graph mode, numerical mode, or analogue mode; 1-4 channels at a time.), Peak Hold, Replay (With 60 second playback.), Speed Limiter Cut, 0-100m, 200m, 400m times with trap speed, 0-100km/h, 200km/h, 300km/h times, 100km/h, 200km/h, 300km/h E0 times, user defined Mid Range Acceleration, Stop Watch functions, Best Time Memory, RPM Warning, Speed Warning, RPM and Speed Outputs (For external devices requiring an RPM or speed signal.), Tire Size Correction (For acceleration and timing accuracy.), and Vehicle weight input.
Old 02-05-10, 02:18 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI2OG...eature=related
Old 03-11-10, 03:48 PM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but I take it nobody on this forum has de-limited their LS? Guess I'm going to be the test bunny..HKS here I come....now to find somebody who can install it :/
Old 12-25-21, 10:22 AM
Raiflan
Driver School Candidate

Default Sport suspension models

Originally Posted by vraa
It's somewhat stable.

Make sure you get appropriate tires.

I do not like to take the LS430 any higher than 120, the suspension gets a little hairy when the surfaces aren't smooth like some of the more expensive tracks. Even in sport mode.

I still think the S-Class and 7er are much better at supercruising speeds, but it's very rare that you can do that in America
If you have a sport suspension model or have it on good coilover is cruising at 100 plus miles an hour is smooth

Quick Reply: Elimiate Speed Governer on '05 LS430?