LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How close can you hang smart key next to LS

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 03:57 PM
rjfiore1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How close can you hang smart key next to LS

I know the manual says 15 feet I think, but say, would it be ok ya' think if it was say, 6 feet away. Is there any way to tell that it's too close to the car, just hanging in the garage? My garage is not big enough to hang the key 15 feet away! I'd have to build a bigger garage!!!
Any suggestions would be great, as I'm new to the LS, but have had a GX for 3 years but no smart key. Heck, I used to leave the key for the GX in the GX' cupholder in the garage.
Old 12-29-07, 04:07 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rjfiore1
I know the manual says 15 feet I think, but say, would it be ok ya' think if it was say, 6 feet away. Is there any way to tell that it's too close to the car, just hanging in the garage? My garage is not big enough to hang the key 15 feet away! I'd have to build a bigger garage!!!
Any suggestions would be great, as I'm new to the LS, but have had a GX for 3 years but no smart key. Heck, I used to leave the key for the GX in the GX' cupholder in the garage.
When its dark out and you get close to the car, the "puddle lights" turns on (the ones under the two side mirrors). I would assume you can turn off the lights in your garage to test this out. Guess it would depend on what you want to prevent it from? Someone opening your door or starting your car. I believe there is two distance the car uses. For unlocking the doors I have to be about 3 feet or so. For the ignition, I may sometimes return a movie at Blockbuster door slot and step out with the keys in my pocket while the car is still running, all I get is a warning when I come back.
Old 12-29-07, 05:31 PM
rjfiore1
Driver

Can you clarify the three foot thing? The smart key has to be within three feet of the door handle when you grab it?
Old 12-29-07, 10:28 PM
scottmcc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try these two tests.

Lock your doors and hang your key on the wall where you normally hang them.

Wait a few minutes and walk up to the door and see if it unlocks when you grab the handle. If it does open, see if will start..

I keep my key on the inside of the house which is about 15 feet from the car but it will not unlock or start unless it is within 3 to 5 feet. Although I still have the original batteries in my remote. Fresh batteries may make a difference.
Old 12-30-07, 05:43 AM
rjfiore1
Driver

Thanks scottmcc. I will try.