LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

iPod aux jack for LS430- TX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 03:21 PM
Lechuga73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod aux jack for LS430- TX?

Where in Texas, preferably near Houston, can I get an auxiliary jack installed into my 2001 LS430 for my iPod? About how much will it cost for installation?
Old 02-28-10, 06:19 AM
Oldguys
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Washington DC I've been quoted $400 to 500 depending upon where in the car you want the jack hidden. Glove box is cheapest. Elbow box is more money. I have the ML sound system.
Old 03-01-10, 08:52 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

You can buy an external interface device like the ones VAISTech sells. They are in the range of $200-400 and you can install it yourself without too much difficulty. I installed the SL2Vi myself and am satisfied with it.

If you are referring to hacking the cassette player to support a minijack line-in, I think I saw a write-up on this forum on how to do it.
Old 03-01-10, 09:01 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stan is right. VaisTech has what you want, and they're relatively simple to install. I've installed both their iPod interface & Sirius interface in my LS. Their customer support is very good, too.

This is what you want, I believe : http://www.vaistech.com/products/sl2i.php

Vaistech has this installation location listed for Houston:

Travis & Associates
8278 Warren Road
Houston TX 77040
Phone: 713-983-9990

This may be their website: http://travisnet.com/index.php

Walt

Last edited by ayonnebay; 03-01-10 at 09:13 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-01-10, 02:36 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

I agree. The VAISTech SL2Vi unit is much more than just an auxiliary jack. It allow you to leave the iPod in your glove box and is charged at all times. It plays thru the audio system and displays in the nav screen as an extra screen. All the car audio controls are available to play the iPod, including steering wheel controls and dash controls.

I use a 160GB iPod, which is equivalent to adding a 160GB hard drive to your car. Try finding that in any new car. Further, you just take it out and attach to your computer for updates of any music/video you want to add.
Old 03-14-10, 07:01 PM
Oldguys
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you need a full rolling cart of Snap-On tools to do the install or just simple stuff to install the SL2Vi??? Should you do the XM install at the same time?
Old 03-14-10, 07:52 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

Simple tools will work just fine. I don't know what's involved in the XM install so I can't comment on that.

I didn't have a tool to undo the 10mm bolts, so I drove to Canadian Tire with my entire centre console hanging out by the wires and bought this little ratchet and a 10mm socket - http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...52BRatchet.jsp

Larger ratchets are too big for the job and will not fit.
Old 03-15-10, 06:01 AM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldguys
Did you need a full rolling cart of Snap-On tools to do the install or just simple stuff to install the SL2Vi??? Should you do the XM install at the same time?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...vi-w-pics.html

Here's a install thread w/pics that I wrote up a while back when I did the install.
Old 03-15-10, 07:47 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LRoy430ul
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...vi-w-pics.html

Here's a install thread w/pics that I wrote up a while back when I did the install.
I used these photos before I ordered the unit, as it gave me assurance that I could do the install. Installation was then a snap. Just take your time and don't rush things. You may want to print out some of the photos to have on hand during installation.

It's a beautiful installation with the iPod in the glove box. You don't have to be a technician to be able to do this. And you'll really feel good about your self after it is completed. With an iPod Classic you have just installed a 160GB hard drive in you car that can be attached to your computer for updates.
Old 05-25-22, 06:08 PM
mywong23
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MDEC,
again thank you for the writeup.

I am referring to your install tips for a 3rd time....
Previously I had bought USA spec parts and installed in our 01 LS430. which got rear ended/totalled.
then removed pieces to install into a 04 LS430.
Last month wife bought herself another 04 LS430 with 88K; as her previous was up to 177K.

So now I will remove the pieces from the 04 to install in lower mileage 04.
(wife likes cars she doesn't have to learn how to operate....
a rental car with keyless ignition stumped her...as it required depressing the brake pedal first.
I don't blame her... she's addicted to the LS 430 a great car !!! probably the best car we've owned
=================================================

to MDEC or anyone else.
I now realize that on the MD setting, I don't see your 12 playlist option screen ???
However, I do see the info screen with artist name and song title.

USA spec had instructed me to use 6 specific playlist titles, starting with 'TOYOTA 1' up to 'TOYOTA 6'
for uploading songs onto IPOD playlists, when using iTunes. USA spec said their parts
recognized only 6 IPOD files.... so I followed their instructions.
I can't recall if I have both the PA-15 and BT35 or not.

In any case, the Mark Levinson radio plays the 6 IPOD playlists (like 6 CDs); then makes its own 7th & 8th playlists; using randomly selected songs from the 6 files....
and repeats the 7th & 8th continuously; unless I manually re-start from one of the programmed 6 playlists.
I do not have any idea why/how this works;
but I am not complaining, as wife is happy with the sounds

curious if any one else has encountered this 'behavior' ??
or has any explanations.

So I will repeat this 'transplant' surgery this week;
then procede to sell her 04 LS with 177K

thanks to all,

mike wong
sf bay area