Just off my 3 years of CPO, now what

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-08, 12:29 PM
Russ G
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just off my 3 years of CPO, now what

Hi all,

I have enjoyed my '01 LS430 for the past 1095 days. Now I just dropped off the CPO 3 year extended warranty and I'm wondering what to worry about . The car has been great. Dealer replaced a couple of rear view mirrors that were sticking (spending Lexus's $$). In the last 3 years, all I have done are home oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals. I drive mostly highway miles. The car has 87,000 miles.

What do I need to take care of?
Brake pads & turn (or new rotors)? Brakes are still good. Very little pulsing.
Transmission flush? Smooth shifting now.
Spark Plugs?
I'd like to do as much as I can myself. I'm pretty handy. I built a Cobra replica.

I'm anticipating that some will consider my oil changes only as abuse and want to have me sent to the big house. Others are in the same boat as me. What do I need to get done to have it stay reliable and terrific for the next 3 years.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-08, 12:44 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

I would suggest that you change the transmission and rear differential fluid every 30,000 miles - even though that is overkill according to the service schedule. Change the brake fluid, coolent and filters at the recommended intervals. And you are probably coming up on the recommended mileage - assuming it is 90,000 miles/6 years - for changing the timing belt during which the water pump and a number of minor parts are normally replaced.

Spark plug change interval on my 2000 LS400 is 120,000 miles and would assume that yours is the same or more. My front brake pads on my 00 LS400 were recently replaced for the first time at about 85,000 miles. The rear pads should last until about 125,000 miles based on my experience with my previous LS400. Transmission flush? Doubtful if that is needed - just change the fluid.

There is little to worry about if you follow the maintenance schedule.

I sold my first LS in 2003 after driving it for 183,000 miles and 13 1/2 years and maintaining it by the book. It was in great shape and people who didn't know Lexus thought it was new. The current owner is still enjoying it at over 250,000 miles -- he told me last week that he is about to change the front motor mounts for the first time.

Last edited by Kansas; 01-20-08 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-21-08, 12:23 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Same Boat!!!!!

Originally Posted by Russ G
Hi all,

I have enjoyed my '01 LS430 for the past 1095 days. Now I just dropped off the CPO 3 year extended warranty and I'm wondering what to worry about . The car has been great. Dealer replaced a couple of rear view mirrors that were sticking (spending Lexus's $$). In the last 3 years, all I have done are home oil changes at 5,000 mile intervals. I drive mostly highway miles. The car has 87,000 miles.

Spark Plugs?
I'd like to do as much as I can myself. I'm pretty handy. I built a Cobra replica.

I'm anticipating that some will consider my oil changes only as abuse and want to have me sent to the big house. Others are in the same boat as me. What do I need to get done to have it stay reliable and terrific for the next 3 years.

Thanks!
I am also of my warranty period and have been for 2 years. I own a 2001 ls 430 and have the same concerns but, have been told that no problems are certain just do services when there due and you should be fine. The car we own is a keeper for sure. At this point just doing services should avoid alot of problems with the car.

Im not worried a bit based on what others with more miles have said on this site. Anything that goes wrong is not predictable. Im just crossing my fingers that my car wont have multiple issues but, im sure you and i both will be fine if we do our services when there scheduled.

All the best to you,

L.G.N.M
Old 01-21-08, 12:27 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile My miles on my car 88,500!!!

Originally Posted by usermel
I am also of my warranty period and have been for 2 years. I own a 2001 ls 430 and have the same concerns but, have been told that no problems are certain just do services when there due and you should be fine. The car we own is a keeper for sure. At this point just doing services should avoid alot of problems with the car.

Im not worried a bit based on what others with more miles have said on this site. Anything that goes wrong is not predictable. Im just crossing my fingers that my car wont have multiple issues but, im sure you and i both will be fine if we do our services when there scheduled.

All the best to you,

L.G.N.M
I also am coming up on my 90,000 mile service. We have done well not pilling on miles also. Great job with your miles so far on your car. Can you believe we have 7 year old cars, WOW! this is the first car I have owned in the luxury car segment for this long. My LS430 has become a part of my life, I can get a new one but this one has my butt imprint just right for sitting on long drives and i know the sounds of my car so i can detect if theres a problem.

L.G.N.M
Old 01-21-08, 08:59 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If the spark plugs have never been change, i strongly suggest you replace them. I recently replaced them on the GS (same engine) and noticed improved engine response, and gas mileage.

Also, since your coming up on the 90K service, I would hold up replacing the coolant till then.

Be sure to replace the power steering fluid with Mobile 1 ATF. Done this on my previous LS, and my current GS, and soon my LS430, and the steering just feel phenomenal. I used a gas siphon to get all the fluid out and refill. A couple of fluid exchanges, and your good to go.

I would also drain and refill transmission fluid. Dont wait until you notice strange transmission behavior. A couple of drain and refills 10-20 miles apart should be good for now. (i usually make it a habit to exchange the tranny fluid at every oil change, which is about every 8,000).

Brake fluid is also important part of your braking system. New brake fluid is CLEAR, not yellow as many believe.

After performing the above mentioned, you should be good for a really long time. Since you will be performing these tasks on your own, it shouldn't cost much (save for the 90K service).

Good luck, and to many happy miles with your LS.
Old 01-21-08, 09:08 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Good Advice!!!!!

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
If the spark plugs have never been change, i strongly suggest you replace them. I recently replaced them on the GS (same engine) and noticed improved engine response, and gas mileage.

Also, since your coming up on the 90K service, I would hold up replacing the coolant till then.

Be sure to replace the power steering fluid with Mobile 1 ATF. Done this on my previous LS, and my current GS, and soon my LS430, and the steering just feel phenomenal. I used a gas siphon to get all the fluid out and refill. A couple of fluid exchanges, and your good to go.

I would also drain and refill transmission fluid. Dont wait until you notice strange transmission behavior. A couple of drain and refills 10-20 miles apart should be good for now. (i usually make it a habit to exchange the tranny fluid at every oil change, which is about every 8,000).

Brake fluid is also important part of your braking system. New brake fluid is CLEAR, not yellow as many believe.

After performing the above mentioned, you should be good for a really long time. Since you will be performing these tasks on your own, it shouldn't cost much (save for the 90K service).

Good luck, and to many happy miles with your LS.
Good advice, i wasnt the one who asked the question but, im glad it was asked. Thanks Grand.

L.G.N.M
Old 01-22-08, 05:42 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

everyone is pretty much spot on. follow that advice and you'll be at 300k + miles like one 430 i know of locally.
Old 02-08-08, 12:44 AM
feldman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up transmission

Originally Posted by Russ G

Spark Plugs?
This could be wrong but isn't the transmission on the LS430 a sealed unit?
Old 04-01-08, 10:22 AM
dubsta1
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by feldman
This could be wrong but isn't the transmission on the LS430 a sealed unit?
depend on the year you have. i think 04 is when they began the sealed units