LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Sport Edition - ??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 02:06 PM
DrJohn2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 Sport Edition - ??????

I'm very close to purchasing a 2001 LS430 Sport Edition, but am unclear exactly what it is, being new to the Lexus world (I'm in Oregon - the car's in Colorado, with pics on the way). We were looking for a UltraLux, but couldn't find one for the $$$ we had. I've combed the internet for info but can't find anything. Can anyone give me something about this model (options, numbers actually produced, performance issues, etc.)? I'm paying $16K - fair? Thanks, John

Last edited by DrJohn2; 01-27-08 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Forgot information
Old 01-27-08, 05:48 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Look at this: http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/2001/2001LSspecs.pdf

Your 2001 LS430 "sport edition" does not include other options except for 17" wheels. You would need to find out exactly what options are on the car. Ask the owner if he can supply a copy of the original window sticker.
Old 01-27-08, 10:32 PM
feldman
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation fair/unfair

Originally Posted by DrJohn2
I'm very close to purchasing a 2001 LS430 Sport Edition, but am unclear exactly what it is, being new to the Lexus world (I'm in Oregon - the car's in Colorado, with pics on the way). We were looking for a UltraLux, but couldn't find one for the $$$ we had. I've combed the internet for info but can't find anything. Can anyone give me something about this model (options, numbers actually produced, performance issues, etc.)? I'm paying $16K - fair? Thanks, John
Whether it's fair or not would depend on the mileage and the condition. Every body panel should have the VIN, if not the panel has been replaced. Take the vehicle to any auto-body shop and have them put a paint meter on the vehicle, if it's been repainted they'll tell you about it.

A vehicle with higher mileage is worth substantially less than a vehicle with low mileage. A vehicle with body damage is worth much, much less than a vehicle without prior body damage or paintwork. It may not be important to you whether a vehicle was repaired, but that is not the issue. The issue is value, and a painted car is worth much less than a car without paintwork.

Our local dealer has never seen a sport model. I drove an '01 Sport and was impressed with its handling, but it is suggested that you drive a non-sport model with the same size wheels as a basis for comparison. Some people do not like the ride of the sport model in comparison to the non-sport edition.

If the '01 is a one-owner vehicle, has not had paintwork, has all its service records, has everything working, and has 45k miles, $16k is quite fair. If the vehicle has 100k miles, beat up rims, does not have its service records, and is a two-owner car with paintwork, $16k is very pricey (around here anyway).

Good luck.
Old 01-27-08, 10:54 PM
DrJohn2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks - appreciate the points. This car does have 100k, and aside from a scuffed rear bumper that has been fixed (he backed into something at very low speed - $800 repair) it's in excellent condition. All service records, well maintained. Car has Nav, Levinson - still waiting on the pics and full options list. Although I've been scouring the country, finding a well-equipped 2001 LS430 for $16K has not turned up many worthy cars.
Old 01-29-08, 11:21 AM
feldman
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up paintwork

Originally Posted by DrJohn2
Thanks - appreciate the points. This car does have 100k, and aside from a scuffed rear bumper that has been fixed (he backed into something at very low speed - $800 repair) it's in excellent condition. All service records, well maintained. Car has Nav, Levinson - still waiting on the pics and full options list. Although I've been scouring the country, finding a well-equipped 2001 LS430 for $16K has not turned up many worthy cars.
Don't take his word on the paintwork. I took a luxury car that a close family member swore up and down did not have paintwork to a body shop and the body shop told me that a garage door had fallen on the roof. Apparently this happened at a parking garage while the family member was snowbirding in Florida and the family member never knew anything about it - the garage "fixed" it and never said anything. It is suggested that you get a body shop to check the car out.

The value of a car is not affected if its bumpers are repainted.

Galves says that the car you describe (without paintwork) is worth $18,725. You can take that for what it is worth. Kindly keep in mind that it is extremely difficult to sell a car with over 100k miles (even an LS), so if you are buying it you are likely keeping it.

Good luck.
Old 01-29-08, 05:53 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by feldman
Kindly keep in mind that it is extremely difficult to sell a car with over 100k miles (even an LS), so if you are buying it you are likely keeping it.
I have to disagree. I had a remarkable number of people who wanted to buy my first LS - an LS400 that I bought new in 1990 and drove for 183,000 miles and 13 1/2 years. I literally had to choose who to sell the car to and I chose to sell it to a coworker who I see every day.

As my 2000 LS400 nears 100,000 miles on the odometer, I have several people asking regularly if I will tell them when I am ready to sell.

Unless things have change recently, a well maintained LS in cosmetically excellent condition is a very easy car to sell - even if it is high mileage.
Old 01-29-08, 07:03 PM
LEX012006
Driver

I agree with Kansas, I have a 01 with just over 100k (100,312 to be exact) and I was offered $19k for mine. Grant it though, it is in excellent condition, everything still operational, most of the miles is highway mileage (live less than 5 miles to work and travel to North Carolina often), and it is a UL!! Still pondering on selling though. I would need to find a 04 or 05 just as clean as mine. Sometimes it is better to keep what you have than to purchase something you do not know anything about.
Old 01-30-08, 01:29 AM
feldman
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Over 100k - hard to sell?

Originally Posted by Kansas
Unless things have change recently, a well maintained LS in cosmetically excellent condition is a very easy car to sell - even if it is high mileage.
Dealers here won't touch a car with over 100k miles, which means that you are constrained to a private sale. Glad to hear that you could sell yours easily, will let you know in about 70k miles if I have the same luck.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-08, 02:24 PM
Roc3b
Driver

I have an 01 LS430 Sport with Nav...paid $21,990 last year with 62K....drove a **** load and am at 96k right now. Plan on keeping another 12months and then onto an 05 or 06. I know I am about $3k upside right now but hope to even that out. People love these cars and will pay for them as thier rep proceeds them. I have the crytal white with tan and 17s with a light tint. Every where I go it turns heads. LOVE IT.

I had a 98 ls400, Silver Jade that my father pestered me for everyday for 2 years and finally sold it to him with 129k for $11,900 and he felt it was a steal!