LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Navigation Display Quality

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 09:37 AM
jbbreeden
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Display Quality

My '05 LS430 navigation display is grainy. I had nav in an '03 LS and I don't remember it being grainy. The graphic quality is, of course crummy compared to the latest generation but I mean the screen looks "sandy or sand-papery" instead of smooth.

I bought the car off a 3-year lease. Suppose the DVD was upgraded to the wrong version for the car's electronics?

Or, is my memory getting bad after living with the new nav graphics for 8 months.
Old 02-22-08, 06:38 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The pixels in the newer generation definitely is alot higher than my 04. My guess mine is 800x480?? All touch screen display does have a storm screen look to them as it has to sense the finger on the screen. I can watch a movie on the screen and it looks pretty good for what its worth.

Last edited by airtime; 02-22-08 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-23-08, 12:02 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jbbreeden
My '05 LS430 navigation display is grainy. I had nav in an '03 LS and I don't remember it being grainy. The graphic quality is, of course crummy compared to the latest generation but I mean the screen looks "sandy or sand-papery" instead of smooth.

I bought the car off a 3-year lease. Suppose the DVD was upgraded to the wrong version for the car's electronics?

Or, is my memory getting bad after living with the new nav graphics for 8 months.
2001-2006 had the same screen. But im guessing you saw the navi from the new ones, and now yours "feels" outdated. If anything, 4th gen navi looks even better.
Old 02-23-08, 10:12 AM
jbbreeden
Driver

Well, here's what I'm seeing. Little speckled dots all over the GPS graphic images. I swear I don't recall this in the '03 but I'm getting older...

This image shows the brightness and contrast are at the default centered locations.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Display Quality-img_0003.jpg  
Old 02-23-08, 10:17 AM
jbbreeden
Driver

Here's another image of the screen, showing a little larger area. Actually, this isn't just an underexposed picture: It shows just about the true brightness of the screen. If I change the brightness and contrast I can make it brighter or have greater contrast, but the speckled look remains. Is this the way YOUR graphics look with Gen 4 version 4?
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Display Quality-img_0002.jpg  
Old 02-23-08, 10:23 AM
jbbreeden
Driver

Finally, the last shot. This one shows a slightly enlarged image of the speckling. Notice how clean the frame colors are and how sharp the "+" and "-" and "BRIGHTNESS" are. Could this be a bad disk?
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Display Quality-screenshot_03.jpg  
Old 02-23-08, 11:16 AM
airtime
Racer

Well, here mine, pretty close but when I'm moving, the text is a bit less jagged:

PS: I'm running Gen4 v7.1

Old 02-23-08, 12:01 PM
jbbreeden
Driver

Thanks,

I got a postcard from Lexus yesterday advertising the upgrade for $265. That got me thinking about it. 3 years is probably a lot of map changes in the DC area the way things are growing around here.

I know the DVD doesn't upgrade firmware, but did you notice any graphics differences between your old DVD and 4.7.1? Or, just the map data.
Old 02-23-08, 01:45 PM
denroll
Driver

I went from an '01 to an '07 map DVD. Aside from new streets and stuff, I didn't notice any difference. Except for the fact that they bypassed our ability to "unlock" the nav and change destination on the fly. So stupid.

Does anyone know if there is anything that can be integrated into the '02 nav system? I've seen the ipod installed on the '04 and that would be sweet. I'd really like to have full integration through the nav of either an mp3 player or Sirius satellite radio. I figure I'd ask here before starting another thread.
Old 02-23-08, 03:50 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by denroll
I went from an '01 to an '07 map DVD. Aside from new streets and stuff, I didn't notice any difference. Except for the fact that they bypassed our ability to "unlock" the nav and change destination on the fly. So stupid.

Does anyone know if there is anything that can be integrated into the '02 nav system? I've seen the ipod installed on the '04 and that would be sweet. I'd really like to have full integration through the nav of either an mp3 player or Sirius satellite radio. I figure I'd ask here before starting another thread.
Viatech makes Ipod adapters for the 01+ navi systems. No text support though.
Old 02-23-08, 03:51 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Well, here's what I'm seeing. Little speckled dots all over the GPS graphic images. I swear I don't recall this in the '03 but I'm getting older...

This image shows the brightness and contrast are at the default centered locations.
Yes, mine looks exactly the same on my LS. Thats what I like about the GS, doesnt have those dots for some reason.
Old 02-23-08, 03:55 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Thanks,

I got a postcard from Lexus yesterday advertising the upgrade for $265. That got me thinking about it. 3 years is probably a lot of map changes in the DC area the way things are growing around here.

I know the DVD doesn't upgrade firmware, but did you notice any graphics differences between your old DVD and 4.7.1? Or, just the map data.
I recently upgraded from 4.2 to 7.1, and no graphic difference noticed.

I live in the DC area myself, and not a whole lot changes (I live in Vienna, in Fairfax). Maybe a few changes in the newer eastern part of Fairfax, but not a whole lot. However, A LOT of points of interests were added, which I find important. Airtime for the most part and I have yet find a way to remove the over ride restrictions, as it has hampered GPS use on the highway, as I cant over ride and find a specific restaurant anymore.
Old 02-23-08, 08:27 PM
airtime
Racer

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Airtime for the most part and I have yet find a way to remove the over ride restrictions, as it has hampered GPS use on the highway, as I cant over ride and find a specific restaurant anymore.
True that.. I needed to get an address to a restaurant this week while moving and had my passenger key it real fast at a stop light. What a pain. I do like the new point of interest icons though. Like Starbucks has little Starbucks coffee cups icons, US Bank has their icon, Wells Fargo has their, etc.

PS: the new version has the built in "I Agree" after a couple of seconds so you don't have to press it.
Old 02-23-08, 09:29 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by airtime
True that.. I needed to get an address to a restaurant this week while moving and had my passenger key it real fast at a stop light. What a pain. I do like the new point of interest icons though. Like Starbucks has little Starbucks coffee cups icons, US Bank has their icon, Wells Fargo has their, etc.

PS: the new version has the built in "I Agree" after a couple of seconds so you don't have to press it.
Strange, I have to press I agree.
Old 02-24-08, 06:51 AM
jbbreeden
Driver

You'd think with all the computers built into these cars that Toyota could manage a flash update to the ROMs like we get for our home/laptop computers and digital cameras. I'd sure pay for an upgrade to the Gen 5 graphics. It's embarrassing to look at that big ugly Gen 4 display beside a 4.2" Garmin 680 which is too small but gorgeous.

Quick Reply: Navigation Display Quality