LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Couple of Important Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-08, 11:48 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Couple of Important Questions

Did a search and didn't find much definitive on these so I decided to post this so that we can get a good discussion going on the longer term maintenance needs of our vehicles.

I've got a 02 UL with 90k miles.

1) What's the deal with the Lexus Link. Went to the dealer and they want to remove the unit and put a sunglass holder in. I will lose my voice memo recording ability. Is this a joke? I kinda like that feature. Has anyone else been disturbed by losing this functionality? Can they disable the LL but leave the voice memo capability?

2) What's the bottom line on tranny fluid replacement. I know that the maintenance manual doesn't say to change it unless you tow with it but with 90k on it, I'm thinking it may need changing. The fluid is not burnt but I do see specs of rust colored bits on the dipstick. Has anyone noticed rust colored particles on the dipstick?

3) Are you guys changing the spark plugs and when? Are these Iridium plugs and if so how long do they last?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-06-08, 02:34 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Did a search and didn't find much definitive on these so I decided to post this so that we can get a good discussion going on the longer term maintenance needs of our vehicles.

I've got a 02 UL with 90k miles.

1) What's the deal with the Lexus Link. Went to the dealer and they want to remove the unit and put a sunglass holder in. I will lose my voice memo recording ability. Is this a joke? I kinda like that feature. Has anyone else been disturbed by losing this functionality? Can they disable the LL but leave the voice memo capability?

2) What's the bottom line on tranny fluid replacement. I know that the maintenance manual doesn't say to change it unless you tow with it but with 90k on it, I'm thinking it may need changing. The fluid is not burnt but I do see specs of rust colored bits on the dipstick. Has anyone noticed rust colored particles on the dipstick?

3) Are you guys changing the spark plugs and when? Are these Iridium plugs and if so how long do they last?

Thanks in advance.
Not sure about Lexus link, but im sure there is a way to disable it without losing memo function.

I would most certainly change the tranny fluid. I would preform two or three drain and refill sessions to clean the fluid as much as possible. You will notice a huge improvement in transmission smoothness and crispier shifts.

As far as plugs are concerned, I replaced mine on the GS (same engine) with NGK iridium, and they have been great. I've noticed better response, and provided improvement in gas mileage in my cross country trips. I would change them now if they have not been changed before.
Old 03-07-08, 08:00 AM
badbronco8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a firm beleiver in changing the tranny oil. I do not see why a full flush should not be done every 30-45k miles. I have my service center do it every 30k miles. When I bought my car with 35k the oil was very dirty. After the flush it is completely light pink and the vehicle shifts much better. It is a 100-200 dollar job that can save a 6 thousand dollar transmission. I do not see why it shouldnt be done.

Regards,
Ed
Old 03-07-08, 09:22 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the responses...regarding the tranny...it's the bits which look like rust which bother me more. I wonder if I should drop the pan and change the filter and clean the magnet as there's probably much more than the one or two bits I see stuck to the dipstick.

What in the world could be rusting in there? Could these be normal shavings rusting out? I thought the tranny fluid would stop any rust on the components.
Old 04-04-08, 05:09 PM
lex2001
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Lexus Link is an analog service and won't work with digital. I don't know if they can disable the link and leave the memo. If you get rid of it you won't have to listen to "Lexus link is active" at every startup! Ask a tech about keeping the memo only portion.
Old 04-07-08, 11:27 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the transmission service included in the 90K mile service?