Red Line Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 11:31 AM
scottmcc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Red Line Shifting

Hello all

I want to make sure that my LS is acting normal when shifting. When driving on the highway and passing someone when the passing gear kicks in seems the tach goes well into redline before shifting back. It never reaches the rev limiter but I would like it to shift back earlier.

When driving in manual shift mode and having fun, when I shift into third from second..(Don't do this out of first to second because you only have about 1.2 seconds before redline..) usually before it hits 5000, there seems to be a considerable delay and the vehicle does not shift until close to red line.... Yes I know its electronic and there should be some delay..but what is normal?

Please don't think that I race my car or abuse my car because I love it..I just want to make sure that it is shifting safely and not causing damage to my engine....

Sometimes when I try to pass someone slowly so it won't go into passing gear, it decides to downshift anyways and goes to redline.. When I get home I feel so guilty that I want to take it for an oil change...

Are these engines that bullet proof?
Old 03-28-08, 02:08 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I would be concerned, as it should definitely not go into redline before shifting... I don't think I've ever even been past redline with the pedal slammed. Maybe others' experience differs.
Old 03-28-08, 02:54 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

man....the things i have put these motors thru....they are very well built, dont you worry....throw a supercharger in there and have more fun!!

yes you are right about the car dipping into the red area before shifting!! that seems to be normal with car!!
Old 03-28-08, 05:13 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends greatly on where you have the power button selected. In SNOW mode, it barely moves, and this position should obviously be used only for slippery snowy conditions.

In NORMAL mode, it shifts up sooner even when the pedal is depressed to the floor. The redline is barely encountered.

In POWER mode, the shift points are raised, and take longer to shift. This allows for more power, less gas mileage, and a LITTLE more engine wear. My 99 GS4 has 172,000 miles on it with synthetic oil from the beginning, and it runs like new.

I WILL say that increased redline action should theoretically wear out the timing belt faster, but this has never been an issue. I always change at 90,000 miles, so I feel safe that the timing belt and water pump will last the entire time. I don't "hot dog' the engine, but I do some spirited driving from time to time. With today's gasoline prices, that fun is happening farther in between events.

The engine can take some downright ABUSE without cause for alarm. The limiter should take care of over revving. REMEMBER, people race these engine!

Some of us have the world-famous "E-SHIFT", with buttons on the steering wheel. They allow manual shifting for all gears except for 1st. I use it sometimes, but as the car ages, I don't use it so much anymore. High gasoline prices, and extremely high ticket prices have slowed me down a bit.

I just know that I have less than 10,000 miles before my next timing belt change, so I am not quite so hard on it. Don't worry so much.

ENJOY YOUR CAR!!

Last edited by gserep1; 03-28-08 at 05:18 PM.