LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Buying decision - Keep LS430 or buy new ES350

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-08, 07:15 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For me, a used 05 LS or new ES, I'd take the LS without a second thought. Except for the push-start, the ES has nothing over the LS. Big, smooth, V8 with known reliability and quality over a Super Camry with possible reliability issues... pull up to a gas station, you'll get some looks to see who's in the big Lexus, pull up in same ES, no one cares who's in that Camry.
Old 04-09-08, 07:39 PM
LSorBS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently was faced with this exact same decision. After extensive consideration, I realized that very few automobiles in the world could compete with the LS430, and as a result, that is the vehicle I went with. As far as purchase price, it was about the same as the ES, I got a fully loaded Flint LS430 with an 8 year warranty and LoJack for around $44,000. The ES was about $45,000. The LS was better in EVERY single way, with the exception of the bluetooth phone interface, which I think is horrible. I don't think it's much of a choice...
Old 04-11-08, 09:30 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Visibility is very important to me too, because of that, I much prefer the older generations cars, see our current Lexues in my signature, we got those because it is what we want, even though some people might think we drive the older cars because they are cheaper. All the newer generations cars get smaller and smaller windows, higher and higher belt line, they feel like sitting in a tank looking out a tiny windows, I hate it. I would pick the older cars even if the new cars are the same price. Sure the new cars got more power and more advance electronics, but at the end of the day, it is how it feels sitting inside that matters the most.

I even prefer the LS430 over the LS460, for the same reason of the 460 got smaller windows and higher belt line.

The Quattroporte is a whole couple levels higher in terms of price and depreciations, due to their reliability, like you said, you have to buy them new and be able to afford the 50% depreciation in the first 3 years. Sure they are nice if you can afford them.
Ditto to all. Excellent post. I'm not really more impressed with the LS460 than I am the LS430 except for the sound system, which by almost any standard is absolutely awesome in the 460. Generally speaking, I'm not sure when if ever there'll be a better all around luxury sedan than the LS430. It's an amazing car regardless of price, and if you factor in the current price and the reliability, it's nothing less than an insane value. It's just amazing that the general public doesn't know about the cars, and will go out and buy a loaded Chevrolet Impala (or some other ~$25K turd of a new car) instead of a low-mile used LS430.
Old 04-11-08, 12:12 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
It's an amazing car regardless of price, and if you factor in the current price and the reliability, it's nothing less than an insane value. It's just amazing that the general public doesn't know about the cars, and will go out and buy a loaded Chevrolet Impala (or some other ~$25K turd of a new car) instead of a low-mile used LS430.
Because the general public are very ignorant about cars. The main misconception is all used cars are bad, they think the only reason people sell their cars is because they are bad, they have problems. They won't even consider a 06' LS430 with 10k miles for $25k, just because it is used

Another reason the general public don't like the LS430 is it got an old man's car image.

I know a lot of people who think their new $30k Honda Accord and Hyundais are much superior then my very old "USED" 05' LS430 UL....LOL.....funny stuff!
Old 04-11-08, 12:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Because the general public are very ignorant about cars. The main misconception is all used cars are bad, they think the only reason people sell their cars is because they are bad, they have problems. They won't even consider a 06' LS430 with 10k miles for $25k, just because it is used

Another reason the general public don't like the LS430 is it got an old man's car image.

I know a lot of people who think their new $30k Honda Accord and Hyundais are much superior then my very old "USED" 05' LS430 UL....LOL.....funny stuff!
wow, 06 ls430 with 10k for 25k? where do i sign up?
Old 04-11-08, 12:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
wow, 06 ls430 with 10k for 25k? where do i sign up?
It was just an exaggerated example

I did found a mint 06' LS UL with 27k miles for $39k, that was a good deal! Too bad it wasn't the color I want
Old 04-11-08, 12:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

It was just an exaggerated example

I did found a mint 06' LS UL with 27k miles for $39k, that was a good deal! Too bad it wasn't the color I want
oh damn, and you got me excited. i looked at couple of 05/06 UL as well, they were all in the 30s. i agree i think that's pretty darn good price!

that's why when i saw your post i was like man, i am sooo jumping on it
Old 04-11-08, 01:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
oh damn, and you got me excited. i looked at couple of 05/06 UL as well, they were all in the 30s. i agree i think that's pretty darn good price!

that's why when i saw your post i was like man, i am sooo jumping on it
sorry I got you excited, I was just saying even for a screaming good deal, new car people won't go for it.
Old 04-11-08, 03:31 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It's just amazing that the general public doesn't know about the cars, and will go out and buy a loaded Chevrolet Impala (or some other ~$25K turd of a new car) instead of a low-mile used LS430.

Some people hesitate to buy a 'used' LS430 over a "new" honda accord and such because of various reasons. Not everyone is trying to look baller or classy. Usually people buy run of the mill cars because of cost issues. Most family-sized sedans are more fuel efficient than the LS430, without having to fuel up premium. Also insurance is another factor. My 9 year old GS400's insurance rate is just a bit higher than my sister's new honda accord. Imagine what the LS430 rate is like for the families out there with average income. Next you factor in maintenance. Most people aren't DIY'ers so they'll head to the dealer to get their car serviced. Little things add up.

So while the initial cost is a bargain, it's the long term that matters for most people.
Old 04-11-08, 05:36 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Some people hesitate to buy a 'used' LS430 over a "new" honda accord and such because of various reasons. Not everyone is trying to look baller or classy. Usually people buy run of the mill cars because of cost issues. Most family-sized sedans are more fuel efficient than the LS430, without having to fuel up premium. Also insurance is another factor. My 9 year old GS400's insurance rate is just a bit higher than my sister's new honda accord. Imagine what the LS430 rate is like for the families out there with average income. Next you factor in maintenance. Most people aren't DIY'ers so they'll head to the dealer to get their car serviced. Little things add up.

So while the initial cost is a bargain, it's the long term that matters for most people.
You are correct. Not to mention new cars still have 3 years of warranty, and can still be leased.

Of course, I prefer the LS430, just saying that i completely agree why most people prefer a new Honda over a used LS430.
Old 04-11-08, 05:42 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Great point GSteg!

Originally Posted by GSteg

Its great what you pointed out GSteg. We who own any Lexus are fortunate to be able to pay for the services or do it your selfer's cut the cost of ownership. Great point! Its easy to forget that some of us cant afford the up keep and the actual cost isnt the issue. My last service was over $1,000 and i know there are many who arent able to dish out that amount for a service on a car.

That said, the cost of gas now is also a part of car buying choices even more than before. Before the price went up about 2001 on til now it was a factor im sure in car choices but now, more than ever. Insurance is also a concern for some who dont own a home and cant or dont combine there car and home insurance for the discount. We who own these cars are very fortunate and probably on a regular basis take for granted how fortunate we are to own such cars we dont truly need but we wanted.

Please dont attack me for what I just said. Take my opinion as my own view nobody has to agree. At times on this site people have went of on each other for having different views but, I dont and wont volley back and forth and will respect anyone who disagrees with my personal view that us who own these cars dont need a luxury car new or used but, we wanted what we got and nothing is wrong with that either.

We who own these cars also could have opted to buy a less costly car gas and service wise but, we opted for the luxury that is Lexus and nothings wrong with that if you pay for it.

(L.G.N.M)
Old 04-11-08, 07:28 PM
lexusthai
Driver

It's an amazing car regardless of price, and if you factor in the current price and the reliability, it's nothing less than an insane value. It's just amazing that the general public doesn't know about the cars, and will go out and buy a loaded Chevrolet Impala (or some other ~$25K turd of a new car) instead of a low-mile used LS430.
Well said.. well said..

When i bought my CPO 02 LS430 for $30000 a few years ago, my colleagues looked at me funny and said that with that much cash they would have bought a brand new car. So, they did, one bought a brand new $32,000 Honda Pilot, another a brand new VW Passat 2.0 .

And they thought they made a wise choice.

I just sat there and went
Old 04-12-08, 01:44 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Best kept known secret in the Luxury segment!

I feel like Lexus is the best kept known secret in the Luxury car business. Its wild to me that if a Benz or BMW purchased used may not get those same people saying they would rather have a new Honda or even a new Toyota or Nissan. Nothing is wrong with the cars I just mentioned at all, I owned 3 Honda Accords and 1 Toyota previously, both are great cars.

That said, I feel like those that get Lexus get it, and those that dont will or wont ever come around. Before I purchased my 1st Lexus, a ES300 in 1997 I had no idea how great Lexus' were and thought like most others about getting a Benz or BMW or Jaguar when I got my 1st big check.

It was my business partners young brother who turned me on to the Lexus brand. He had the 1998 GS300 and I took a ride in it. Changed my view on Luxury being spending $15,000 more than what Lexus was charging. Anyway what is best for some isnt for others. If you pick the ES350 or LS430 you are a smart man. Some of the members here would say your smarter if you get the LS but, not me. I think your smart if you buy what YOU LIKE. Good Shopping!

(L.G.N.M)
Old 04-12-08, 01:53 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Timeline on my purchases!

Originally Posted by usermel
I feel like Lexus is the best kept known secret in the Luxury car business. Its wild to me that if a Benz or BMW purchased used may not get those same people saying they would rather have a new Honda or even a new Toyota or Nissan. Nothing is wrong with the cars I just mentioned at all, I owned 3 Honda Accords and 1 Toyota previously, both are great cars.

That said, I feel like those that get Lexus get it, and those that dont will or wont ever come around. Before I purchased my 1st Lexus, a ES300 in 1997 I had no idea how great Lexus' were and thought like most others about getting a Benz or BMW or Jaguar when I got my 1st big check.

It was my business partners young brother who turned me on to the Lexus brand. He had the 1998 GS300 and I took a ride in it. Changed my view on Luxury being spending $15,000 more than what Lexus was charging. Anyway what is best for some isnt for others. If you pick the ES350 or LS430 you are a smart man. Some of the members here would say your smarter if you get the LS but, not me. I think your smart if you buy what YOU LIKE. Good Shopping!

(L.G.N.M)
I got the 1997 ES300 in 1998 when they had a few on the lot left because they offered a better deal since the 1998 ES300 had arrived when i made my purchase and they were trying to rid of the 1997 ES300's. My friends younger brother got his 1998 before I got my car. Thats how and why I rode in his GS300 before I got my ES300.

Just thought i'd say that so the timeline with what I owned would be clear being my friends younger brother had a car a year later in model year. I always try and buy when the year before is trying to be cleared out for the new models when I buy new or, I buy the cars the dealership employees have driven to get a discount, when I buy new that is.

(L.G.N.M)
Old 04-12-08, 02:03 AM
OBI_agent
Rookie

Coming from a previous owner of a LS430,I still dream of getting it back sometime in the future. I don't know why but, I love the LS430. My dad had it for 7 years and not a single problem was to be found.

Anyway to the op, you will regret buying the ES350 over the LS. LS is just too good to be ignored.

Quick Reply: Buying decision - Keep LS430 or buy new ES350