LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

UL Air suspension acting weird?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 06:08 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This may be a crazy suggestion but at the price of 1k per shock, does the ride feel THAT good that you wouldn't want to just do a complete swap to a coilover system with a UAS bag setup down the road?

And Henry, let's go buy some civics man.
Old 04-14-08, 09:53 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
This may be a crazy suggestion but at the price of 1k per shock, does the ride feel THAT good that you wouldn't want to just do a complete swap to a coilover system with a UAS bag setup down the road?

And Henry, let's go buy some civics man.
Air is adjustable. Both in damping and height. So Air is great, as long as its running like ti should.
Old 04-15-08, 11:34 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i have no idea how much stock shocks cost on ls460l, didn't even bother. just slapped on my controller and slammed it
I just checked, stock air strut on the 460/600 is the same price as the 430 UL, $1000 each.
Old 04-15-08, 12:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I just checked, stock air strut on the 460/600 is the same price as the 430 UL, $1000 each.
ah, must be good that i don't own the car anymore

so i guess long time maintenance can kick in pretty hard huh (on high end cars). i wonder in general how long can the stock UL shocks can hold
Old 04-15-08, 04:41 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
ah, must be good that i don't own the car anymore

so i guess long time maintenance can kick in pretty hard huh (on high end cars). i wonder in general how long can the stock UL shocks can hold
From my observations on threads in this forum, some of the UL shocks wear out and fail at 120k miles, but not all of them fail, only some.

I mentally went thru the whole car, really the air shock is the only item that is a lot more expensive then a normal car (Camry). But that shock in general last a long time, I mean most normal shocks don't last more then 50k~75k miles. Price wise, sure it is A LOT more then the shock on a Camry, but it is inline with highend shocks. The Ohlins shocks on my WRX STi now is $500 each, but they don't last more then 100k miles. The OEM UL air shock is available online for $750 wholesale. It is not THAT much more.

Other then that, if you are smart about it, long term wise, comparing buying a used 3 years old LS430 UL and a new Camry V6 XLE, and drive them for 10 years/150k miles. The price difference is very small, the difference in enjoyment level is HUGE.
Old 04-15-08, 07:29 PM
Hybrid-JD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmm

whats not cheap?? lol

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Yes, it could be the ride sensor. Another member had the issue on his car before, and he ended up replacing the sensor, its not cheap, but it fixed his problem.
Old 04-15-08, 10:00 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by Hybrid-JD
whats not cheap?? lol
A sensor that needed to be changed, well over a grand. Cant remember which one though. But lets not get ahead of the situation.
Old 07-02-08, 08:32 PM
Hybrid-JD
Rookie

brought it to the dealer and got them to diagnose the problem and they can't seem to find anything wrong with the suspension!! They said all the height sensors are fine and are in working order. Is there a specific suspension sensor that i should be asking about? Cause i still seem to feel the car go in and out of stiffness..

is there a thread where someone else here had the same problem?
Old 07-03-08, 07:07 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

brought it to the dealer and got them to diagnose the problem and they can't seem to find anything wrong with the suspension!! They said all the height sensors are fine and are in working order. Is there a specific suspension sensor that i should be asking about? Cause i still seem to feel the car go in and out of stiffness..

If all the height sensors are fine, the other thing is the suspension controller/ECU thing, there is a dedicated computer module that oversees, control the suspension, tell the dealer to check that.

Some dealership can be pretty dumb, you have to tell them specifically what to do/check.
Old 07-03-08, 03:21 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
The OEM UL air shock is available online for $750 wholesale.
What website?
Old 07-03-08, 08:00 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ancdmd
What website?
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old 07-03-08, 10:54 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

There is a thread, but I cant seem to find it. He said he had just bought the car, and it road extermly rough. Had the dealer replace on of the sensor (i think it was the one that oversaw the entire system) and fixed his problem.
Old 07-07-08, 02:46 PM
1phat1
Driver School Candidate

mines acting wierd too it adjust the height by it self some times any ideas?
Old 07-07-08, 03:32 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1phat1
mines acting wierd too it adjust the height by it self some times any ideas?
A little more detail? Height does go down when at freeway speed. Also, it sometimes "settles" itself when parked. Usually, once the cars starts, the car will level itself out. Look for the opposing corner. If the front left is low, then the right rear is low. The corners seems to be tied into each other.
Old 07-08-08, 03:16 PM
1phat1
Driver School Candidate

the front stays the same its always the back going up and stays up when i drive on freeway or regular roads then i have to put it on a different setting then back to my normal setting to make it stay the setting i want, but in a week it does the samething?

Last edited by 1phat1; 07-08-08 at 03:28 PM. Reason: wrong

Quick Reply: UL Air suspension acting weird?