LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

data controller for ls430 01-03 help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-08, 09:44 PM
samplzone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default data controller for ls430 01-03 help!!!!

i went into my local shop to inquire about the data controller for my 2001 ls430 today. he gave me the prices and everything was sounding fine until he mentioned that theres been alot of air bags that popped in the past when using this data controller. anyone ever had the data controller installed in their 01 ls430?? he just told me the stock bags on my ls, i have the 01 ls430 UL package by the way, will eventually pop. he told me this was the main issue with the controller. so, if anyone by chance been through this or own a data controller... i hope to hear how u feel about it. any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance!!
Old 04-13-08, 10:30 PM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its possible...but "pop" is overexaggerating! most likely leaks or small tears...Lexus would never put in anything that will blow up! you will only damage bags by riding constantly too low...

Last edited by anotherLS; 04-13-08 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-14-08, 01:15 PM
samplzone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by anotherLS
its possible...but "pop" is overexaggerating! most likely leaks or small tears...Lexus would never put in anything that will blow up! you will only damage bags by riding constantly too low...
thanks for the info. so having the data controller will eventually give me problems with my stock air suspension? i didnt mean "pop" as in it literally popping. but, installing a data controller into my LS430 will most likely give me leaks, small tears. etc... ?? is there any other alternatives to lowering my ls without having to worry about these issues? anyone else out there have the data controller?? any inputs?? thanks again!
Old 04-14-08, 01:21 PM
denroll
Driver

It works like a charm. Just don't drive with it set too low. When the ride gets really bouncy, it's too low.
Old 04-14-08, 03:03 PM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not trying to scare you from the data controller...its a great system, great to lower driving height an inch or 2 before feeling the roughness of the ride...great to look at when its park and slammed! but the system is not the fastest...but just be cautious of driving levels and since yours is an 01, the bags are not as new anymore...and replacement bags/struts are 1000 a piece
Old 04-14-08, 07:15 PM
samplzone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by anotherLS
im not trying to scare you from the data controller...its a great system, great to lower driving height an inch or 2 before feeling the roughness of the ride...great to look at when its park and slammed! but the system is not the fastest...but just be cautious of driving levels and since yours is an 01, the bags are not as new anymore...and replacement bags/struts are 1000 a piece

1k a piece!?! ouch! thats what im afraid of. installing the data controller and then having that be the reason for me purchasing new bag/struts. but as long as i dont ride it to low or high i should be ok? im sure i wont be riding it high, as for low... ill work on not keeping it so low. .
Old 04-14-08, 07:16 PM
samplzone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by denroll
It works like a charm. Just don't drive with it set too low. When the ride gets really bouncy, it's too low.

hey denroll, how long have you had your data controller installed for?
Old 04-14-08, 10:00 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been riding mine pretty low, w/ the stock wheels. Ride is still smooth, nothing too bumpy. I would say just know where your going and if the road is not that smooth. Raise it.
Old 04-14-08, 11:28 PM
juniorEXE
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i had my controller for over a year with no major problems. only a few hiccups now and then. i got about 66k miles on my 2001
Old 04-15-08, 10:33 AM
motohide
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

The problem of air suspension failing on the LS400/430 when set too low with an aftermarket controller is really the issue of air 'pressure.' To achieve the height which we like while stationary is one thing, and does not present much issue as suspension isn't 'working' while stopped. The OEM suspension was designed to have a minimum pressure supplied automatically by the OEM ECU, and the height, stroke, and position of the strut piston has also been designed as such.

Now when we drop the height of the car by depleting air, we are basically making the airbags soft, and as air is taking the place of a coil-spring, this is equivalent to installing coils that are too soft in conjunction with struts operating at the wrong location within the case. Bottom out of the piston, as well as bag pinching can occur. Unlike coil-over struts, we are not changing the perch height or the position of the strut to achieve the low height, we are basically keeping the strut in one place and lowering the spring rate by depleting air out of it. This is equivalent to using cut coils or shorter springs (though in the case of coils, we increase spring rates by cutting) as fat as suspension stroke range is concerned...
The bottom line is strut will be near the bottom of the stroke range and will hit the bump stops.

It is these damaging conditions that make an airbag and strut within it fail.

Still, keeping the car at normal ride height (within the range of OEM ride heights, and possibly slightly lower but not excessively), the air suspension should operate as designed, while driving.

Also note that even unmodified air suspensions fail over time. Just like tires or other rubber parts in ANY car, components can become dry and brittle over time, scuffs and scrapes from things being kicked up, and just general deterioration of the strut bag, these parts should be replaced. Unfortunately, air bags simply can't have a life of standard steel coil springs due to it's nature of designs and material used. As suspension set approaches 10 years of service on earlier LS430 (CF31) and more than that on LS400 (CF11's and 21's)... They should always be replaced. Unlike tires, it's not as obvious to the eye, but if you look at a 10 year old tire and a fresh set, you will see clearly that rubber is very different in texture, and softness. Just like tires, they DON'T NORMALLY BLOW UP unless it's ignored and you let it blow up by getting too old.

I'd like to add too that this is NOT a defect, not is a result of misuse or abuse. Much of the failure is generally due to ignorance of these worn parts. It happens on minty shape stock LS and on modified LS, just a matter of time and maintenance. It's really just an additional cost of ownership and maintenance cycle, especially for those of us who buy these cars used...and drive some of these parts to it's end of life cycle. Like any other parts, 2nd and 3rd owners are more likely to see transmissions and bushings failures and airbags are no different.

Air struts are a very nice feature to have, but with the increased components and shorter life span, things just can be a little more expensive when it's due for service. Just a fact of life, but well worth the investment...if you have a car that cost nearly $76,000 new.

BTW: Rebuilt replacement air struts (using OEM strut assemblies and bag and strut seals replaced) can be had for about $450 each. OEM replacement struts new from Lexus dealer is about $890 each. Both do a fine job. If this seems bad, I'd like to comfort you by adding that an hydro-pneumatic strut on a Bentley Turbo R and Rolls Royce Spurs cost $2700 each!?!?!

Last edited by motohide; 04-15-08 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-15-08, 01:06 PM
samplzone
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the great information!!!