LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

TRD sway bars and steel braided brake lines, anyone tried them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-08, 04:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default TRD sway bars and steel braided brake lines, anyone tried them?

I checked with TRD Japan, they make bigger sway bars and steel braided brake lines for the LS430.

I love how the stock air suspension rides, but I can use a little less body roll. A firmer brake pedal is always nice too.

So my question is, anyone here have these items on their car? I want to know there experience. Just want to make sure the Japanese market car is exactly the same as the U.S. market car. I am pretty sure they are, but never hurt to ask.

Thank you
Old 04-16-08, 05:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't know about the sways, but for the ss lines, if goodridge here in the US are cheaper, just go with those. they are good stuff
Old 04-16-08, 11:53 PM
got56ry
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where do you get the sway bar and would it fit an 01' ls 430?
Old 04-17-08, 08:51 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't know about the sways, but for the ss lines, if goodridge here in the US are cheaper, just go with those. they are good stuff
I know they are good "aftermarket" stuff, but I got a OEM fetish
Old 04-17-08, 08:52 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by got56ry
where do you get the sway bar and would it fit an 01' ls 430?
I am sure they would fit an 01', since they are all the same.

Any place that can get stuff from TRD Japan can get them for you, I am getting a quote from www.toysport.com.
Old 04-17-08, 08:58 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's a common misconception that braided brake lines are inherently less prone to "expansion" than stock-type brake lines. That's not the case. The primary "real" advantage of braided lines is that they are more resistant to being torn loose by track debris or other such abuse. This info came to me via an acquaintance who is a racing products engineer with Performance Friction, which is one of the leading suppliers of brake components for racing applications (supplies virtually all of the Nascar teams, for example). If you have good condition stock type lines, good fluid, and the system is bled out properly, the pedal will feel as stiff as it will with aftermarket braided lines. FWIW, I've tried both back to back on my own cars and I've found the above to be true. Braided look nice, though.
Old 04-17-08, 09:13 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I6turbo
It's a common misconception that braided brake lines are inherently less prone to "expansion" than stock-type brake lines. That's not the case. The primary "real" advantage of braided lines is that they are more resistant to being torn loose by track debris or other such abuse. This info came to me via an acquaintance who is a racing products engineer with Performance Friction, which is one of the leading suppliers of brake components for racing applications (supplies virtually all of the Nascar teams, for example). If you have good condition stock type lines, good fluid, and the system is bled out properly, the pedal will feel as stiff as it will with aftermarket braided lines. FWIW, I've tried both back to back on my own cars and I've found the above to be true. Braided look nice, though.
Well the firmer pedal is only 1 thing I want to achieve with the braided lines, another reason I want them is like you mention, the piece of mind knowing they are much more durable to debris. It always scared me knowing my life is hanging on by some rubber lines that can be cut by a knive Even though I know the chance of the stock lines getting cut on the street is close to nothing, it just make me feels better.

I put braided lines on all of my previous cars, and I always feels the pedal getting firmer. But I don't rule out the possibility of the firmer feel being my own imagination

Also some higher end cars come stock with braided lines (Aston Martin, Ferrari, Mclearn F1...etc), there must be a good reason for them to equip their cars as such, since you can't even see them.

I am not disagreeing with you, I guess when it comes down to it, having them make me feel better.

Last edited by BNR34; 04-17-08 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-17-08, 11:29 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
...I put braided lines on all of my previous cars, and I always feels the pedal getting firmer. But I don't rule out the possibility of the firmer feel being my own imagination ...
I've experienced that too, but then on my 300ZXTT I did a fluid change, full bleeding, etc., on the stock lines and it felt MUCH better. THEN I simply switched to braided lines, re-bled, etc., and I couldn't really tell a difference... All that said, I'd still go for braided lines if I needed new lines and there was a properly sized set to fit the vehicle in question.
Old 04-17-08, 12:27 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I've experienced that too, but then on my 300ZXTT I did a fluid change, full bleeding, etc., on the stock lines and it felt MUCH better. THEN I simply switched to braided lines, re-bled, etc., and I couldn't really tell a difference... All that said, I'd still go for braided lines if I needed new lines and there was a properly sized set to fit the vehicle in question.
It is possible the firmer pedal I felt was from new fluid and bleeding

Mostly, the braided line give me a sense of security, but is probably not needed. Just like how some people want extended warranty on their Lexus that never breaks
Old 04-17-08, 12:46 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love how the brake and body control as is, so I am not planning on changing these,

I did all suspension mods for my last GS400, as well as BBK and all that. but LS430 is not mean to be driving hard anyway, so I am gonna do exterior first.

I drive like an old man now, the LS430 doesn't give me any urge to go crazy, and relax and drive.
Old 04-17-08, 05:04 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I love how the brake and body control as is, so I am not planning on changing these,

I did all suspension mods for my last GS400, as well as BBK and all that. but LS430 is not mean to be driving hard anyway, so I am gonna do exterior first.

I drive like an old man now, the LS430 doesn't give me any urge to go crazy, and relax and drive.
I agreed 100%.

Get in the LS, I just want to cruise slow.

Is just once in a while, I like the body roll to be a little less, and the brake pedal slightly firmer.

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way trying to make the LS perform like a sports car, that is the reason I bought a LS, because I don't want a sports car. But a hair more control is nice sometime.
Old 04-17-08, 05:39 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ha ha, agree!
Old 04-04-12, 05:28 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Finally bought some TRD sway bar, I am excited. This mod complete my LS430
Old 04-04-12, 10:26 PM
Scuttle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Finally bought some TRD sway bar, I am excited. This mod complete my LS430
Did you already install it? Give us a review!
Old 04-04-12, 10:41 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scuttle
Did you already install it? Give us a review!
I don't have them yet, they are still in Japan, I just bought them.

Will give a review once I install them. But you know how it is going to be, just a bit less body roll, by spec is about 20%~30% less roll

Quick Reply: TRD sway bars and steel braided brake lines, anyone tried them?