DIY For Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 03:19 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LS-430 Transmission Fluid

Originally Posted by damon
Unless you have some kind of super duty use that is hard for me to imagine doing with a 430 I am okay with 100,000 miles for an inspection as long as the time frame is within a reasonable amount of years.

My theory is that the sealed transmission are made that way because fluid such as Toyota WS is highly Hygroscopic. I would certainly not mix it with other fluids.

I see no reason to believe that moisture somehow cooks or boils water out the tranny fluid due to heat.
If this is not true of brake fluid why would this happen inside an A761E? Someone earlier had espoused this belief.
I only drive my car around town and some on a 100 mile trip X 2 = 200 miles. Lexus really does NOT want to do anything to my 2005 LS-430 Transmission and if so they claim they only do a drain and fill. I don't want a drain and fill, I want ALL the fluid replaced when I get it done.

On the company (NOT LEXUS) that does complete flushes they get it all out and replace it with BG Fluid, NOT TOYOTA WS fluid, and then recommend to their customers to have it done every 30,000 miles. They want $225.00 to do this. I'm not really sure how they "Inspect" our tranny fluid since there is no dip-stick. What do they inspect it for ? I hear great things about BG products, but a Lexus Dealership is not the one's that use it. So, I'm between a rock and a hard spot. I'd like to get it done now, at 80,000 miles than wait till 100,000 miles. Everybody that's Lexus Tech's and friends that are Lexus Techs keep telling me to "Leave it alone". So, that may be just what I do. Time will tell. And I don't know how I would mix tranny fluids since I have no dip-stick.
Old 04-11-12, 03:30 PM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I like BG stuff but would not consider doing that.

On an older LS I had a Toyota dealer do a flush with a BG Machine that they claimed was loaded up with T-IV. I think they were actully telling the truth!

Since I own an older 430 I have not researched your exact issue but if I were in your position I would pump out a sample size of fluid to send to Blackstone Labs & see the results of their testing.

Last edited by damon; 04-11-12 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 03:36 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default BG Stuff

I like BG stuff but would not consider doing that.

On an older LS I had a Toyota dealer do a flush with a BG Machine that they claimed was loaded up with T-IV. I think they were actully telling the truth!
Out of curiosity, why would you not use BG transmission fluid ? It claims to "MEET OR EXCEED" Toyota Type IV. I'm sure a Lexus Dealership is not allowed to use anything but Toyota parts and fluids, but the machine, even if made by BG still gets the job done with the proper Toyota Fluid if that's what they loaded it with.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-11-12, 05:20 PM
damon
Racer

This was well over a decade ago with a LS400 and everything I could put my hands on to read recommended T-IV . Dealerships machine was loaded w T-IV and price was a tad over $100.00 so all systems go.

Did not know condition of the fluid prior to the flush but only did drain & refills for the next 135,000 miles.

In our fellow owners case I would not mix non-WS with a WS fluid despite their claims.
Old 04-11-12, 05:57 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

This was well over a decade ago with a LS400 and everything I could put my hands on to read recommended T-IV . Dealerships machine was loaded w T-IV and price was a tad over $100.00 so all systems go.

Did not know condition of the fluid prior to the flush but only did drain & refills for the next 135,000 miles.
Thanks Damon. I'v e owned two (2) LS-400's, one (1) GS-430 and how I have a LS-430. I forget what year they changed from T-III to T-IV. I had never heard of WS fluid until after buying this car and reading some here on the forum. This issue is totally unnecessery Lexus should be better educated on explaining to their customers what's what. I can hardly find any Lexus Dealership Service Advisors that know any more about it than we do.
Old 04-11-12, 06:44 PM
94GS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure why people are saying you can't drain the fluid on the 04-06 transmissions... There is a drain plug on the pan just like any normal automatic transmission. I have drained and refilled mine 4 times now. If you jack the front end up and let the car sit for a while, you can get almost 3 quarts out (the manual says only about 1.5 to 2 quarts). I have a funnel and tube that I run down from the engine bay that I use to get the new fluid into the transmission so that I don't have to mess with fluid transfer pumps.

Yeah, draining and refilling a few times is a lot more tedious, but I feel it is the safest way to change the transmission fluid. I am glad I did it because my fluid was really dark on my first drain and refill but now it is red again.
Old 04-12-12, 12:55 AM
damon
Racer

Think I may be osterizied here if I again post what we used for % drain and refills. Lots more fluid comes out of an 6 speed than an old a340E. Basically in the 3 drain & refills you will have replaced over 60% of the fluid.

Last edited by damon; 04-12-12 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-12-12, 06:25 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 94GS300
Not sure why people are saying you can't drain the fluid on the 04-06 transmissions... There is a drain plug on the pan just like any normal automatic transmission. I have drained and refilled mine 4 times now. If you jack the front end up and let the car sit for a while, you can get almost 3 quarts out (the manual says only about 1.5 to 2 quarts). I have a funnel and tube that I run down from the engine bay that I use to get the new fluid into the transmission so that I don't have to mess with fluid transfer pumps.

Yeah, draining and refilling a few times is a lot more tedious, but I feel it is the safest way to change the transmission fluid. I am glad I did it because my fluid was really dark on my first drain and refill but now it is red again.
Well, it is my assumption that we that have LS-430's with "Sealed Transmissions" cannot run a funnel down in the engine bay to put more fluid back in. I've been told by Lexus Tech's you have to pump the old out with new, until you get it ALL replaced. Does anyone else that may be reading this Forum have any experience with BG Transmission Fluid ? A local mechanic shop that works on Lexus ONLY uses the BG machine to pump all the transmission fluid out and replace it with BG Fluid, then recommends another change every 30,000 miles. BG claims their fluid "Meets or Exceeds Toyota Type-IV and WS fluid. I'm curious if this would be prudent or not. They are a reliable and well-known repair shop for Lexus only cars. I think they surely know what they are doing. I welcome any comments on the BG Fluid be put in in place of WS fluid.
Old 04-12-12, 08:10 AM
weizs13
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah im also still wondering what i should do bg flush with only ws or drain and fill a couple of times , i have a 107k and dont know what has or has not been done to that part of my car
Old 04-12-12, 08:39 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by weizs13
yeah im also still wondering what i should do bg flush with only ws or drain and fill a couple of times , i have a 107k and dont know what has or has not been done to that part of my car
You have a very valid concern. If you are not the original owner and don't know if the fluid has ever been changed, I , personally would do a total flush and get it all out or you risk mixing two different kinds of fluids, which a post above warns against doing that. I would not do a drain and fill since you don't know what kind of fluid is in it. I have done business with the company I refer to for many years, and they are "seemingly" honest folks that don't try to sell you the moon. If they are using a BG Machine and BG Fluids, I think they are very comfortable with it and have plenty of confidence in BG Fluid. Lexus can't seem to tell me what they will do, a total flush or a drain and fill. I did talk with a Lexus Service advisor and was told they have VERY LITTLE issues with LS transmissions. I have also been told that by a very good friend that is a Lexus Technician but now works for the shop that only works on Lexus. ALL their Techs are former Lexus employees that get tired of the pressure Lexus puts on them for "Production". They use only genuine Lexus parts also that they get from an out of state Lexus supplier. No local Lexus dealers will sell them parts for less than retail price.

WIth all that said, I'd like to put the risk factor on a Lexus Dealership, but I don't know what they are really going to do. I was told for a drain and fill it was just over $100 bucks. The other place to do a complete BG Flush is $225. From my experience, I would do a total flush with your car since you may not know what kind of fluid is in it. And, to start some more agony, I think it's time to do a complete "Coolant Flush" and refill.
Old 04-12-12, 09:11 AM
weizs13
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the advice Carnut, i have already done timing belt ,water pump, coolant and spark plugs. So i guess when I do my trans I will do my rear diff also would you suggest oem fluid or mobil 1
Old 04-12-12, 10:07 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Tranny and Differential

Originally Posted by weizs13
thanks for the advice Carnut, i have already done timing belt ,water pump, coolant and spark plugs. So i guess when I do my trans I will do my rear diff also would you suggest oem fluid or mobil 1
Good question. I would not be afraid to use BG Differential Lubricant, but I am not familiar with what Lexus puts in them from the factory. Frankly, I think if it's OEM or any other "Name Brand", you will never know the difference.

Since my last post, I got to thinking and forgot to ask, "Is your transmission sealed" like the 2004-2006 LS-430's ???? I also called one of my best friends that is General Manager of a Buick/GMC Dealership and asked him his opinion on changing the coolant and the transmission fluid. He consulted with his transmission expert and he adamately said, "DO NOT CHANGE YOUR TRANSMISSION FLUID". So, here we go again. I was also advised to "NOT CHANGE MY COOLANT".

Now, with all this said, and I am as old school as anybody else on this Forum, "EVERYONE" that has advised me against changing my coolant, my transmission fluid etc., are very good friends and have nothing whatsover to gain, or lose, by giving me this advice. As I've posted before, even my next door neighbor works for Lexus and he said, "DO NOT CHANGE YOUR TRANSMISSION FLUID". Is this not a mess or what ? It sure makes it difficult to make the decision to FORCE somebody to change those fluids when I have so many friends that have nothing to gain or lose telling me to "leave it alone". I have done about all the homework I can stand on this issue and by the way, my friend that is General Manager over the Buick /GMC Store uses BG Products.

Sorry, but I'm throwing in the towell until I can catch the right Technician at Lexus and get the real "skinny" on this topic. Good luck with whatever you do. I'd use BG in my differential.
Old 04-12-12, 10:49 AM
damon
Racer

If it makes anyone feel any better we have this identical debate in a BMW Forum for 5 Series E60 models which use a ZF 6 HP26.

The debate there was solved to my satisfaction when I found a video of a German Owner taking his car to a ZF service center & filming their service procedure. They not only dumped the tranny pan & all fluid but disassembled and cleaned the valve body! All for €425 after a mere 35,000 km.

ZF made the damn thing so my thought is that they know more than BMW on how to care for it!
E60's are a transmission nightmare here in the states & BMW tells owners over & over, Do Not Service!!

Friend owned my 545I and had a 35 mile work commute each way. Despite this BMW had to pay for a new Valve Body (Mechatronics in BMW speak) under warranty as I bought the car due to a system failure before the warranty timed out at 97,000 miles. $2600 service they claim.

Last edited by damon; 04-12-12 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-12-12, 12:19 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

If it makes anyone feel any better we have this identical debate in a BMW Forum for 5 Series E60 models which use a ZF 6 HP26.

The debate there was solved to my satisfaction when I found a video of a German Owner taking his car to a ZF service center & filming their service procedure. They not only dumped the tranny pan & all fluid but disassembled and cleaned the valve body! All for €425 after a mere 35,000 km.

ZF made the damn thing so my thought is that they know more than BMW on how to care for it!
E60's are a transmission nightmare here in the states & BMW tells owners over & over, Do Not Service!!

Friend owned my 545I and had a 35 mile work commute each way. Despite this BMW had to pay for a new Valve Body (Mechatronics in BMW speak) under warranty as I bought the car due to a system failure before the warranty timed out at 97,000 miles. $2600 service they claim.
Well, if you go to BG's website, it claimea their "flush" removes all fluid and particles and shows pictures of the before and after. The flushed transmission looks much cleaner than before the flush and re-fill. I'm telling you, I have more "Credible People" telling me to not change or flush and I don't even have Lexus Dealer interested in talking sbout it UNLESS ZI have 1000,000 miles on it. ??????????
Old 04-12-12, 12:27 PM
damon
Racer

Believe my rec for your model was to send a sample of fluid for testing at 100,000 K?? DIY cost $35.00.

Lexus does not use a ZF Tranny , thank God!

Quick Reply: DIY For Transmission Flush