LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY For Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-12, 01:20 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by damon
Believe my rec for your model was to send a sample of fluid for testing at 100,000 K?? DIY cost $35.00.

Lexus does not use a ZF Tranny , thank God!
I don't know a ZF Tranny from a Tinker Toy, but before I spent $35.00 on a test, I'd buy new fluid for it first. Just sayin' !
Old 04-12-12, 03:29 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Another reason us LS-430 owners can't drill and fill is because there is no dip-stick opening or any other way to "fill" without pumping the fluid back in that we drain out. ???????
Old 04-12-12, 04:10 PM
94GS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut
Another reason us LS-430 owners can't drill and fill is because there is no dip-stick opening or any other way to "fill" without pumping the fluid back in that we drain out. ???????
There is a fill plug on the side of the transmission. All you have to do is remove it and run a funnel and tube to it through the engine bay.
Old 04-12-12, 05:55 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 94GS300
There is a fill plug on the side of the transmission. All you have to do is remove it and run a funnel and tube to it through the engine bay.
Thanks for that tip. If I ever have it changed I'll advise my mechanic where the plugs are to drain and re-fill. At this point, about 95% of car experts I've consulted with have advised me to "NOT CHANGE MY TRANSMISSION FLUID". It's hard to argue with experts who have nothing to gain or lose by sharing their expertise. It's shifting perfectly at 80,000 miles, and I'll hope it continues to untill I trade it.
Old 04-13-12, 01:06 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Why are we having this conversation if your intent is to trade?
I have driven two LS models to complete death. One was a collision & did not enjoy it's full natural life, Both well past 250k. Did not have to put a tranny in either one.
Old 04-13-12, 10:37 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by damon
Why are we having this conversation if your intent is to trade?
I have driven two LS models to complete death. One was a collision & did not enjoy it's full natural life, Both well past 250k. Did not have to put a tranny in either one.
Damon, I've never kept a car for 10 years, but my wife get a new one every 10 years. I just bought her a new Lexus in 2010. As for mine, I like to keep it in top shape, do all the preventive maintenance I can on it so it will last till I do trade. I've got the nicest LS-430 around and I want to keep it that way till the day comes that I'm ready to trade. In the mean time I'm trying to educate and get educated on what to do about my tranny fluid and coolant. That's why we are having this conversation, to share experiences and knowledge, which is what this Forum is for.

I generally drive one to 150,000 miles and mine only has 80,000 on it now, so I have a ways to go on it before trading, UNLESS some great deal comes along on a LS-460. Everything I have is for sale, if the price is right. And if I find a bargain on a pre-owned Lexus, I'll buy it. In the mean time I'm trying to figure out what to do with the LS I have now. Common sense says to change the fluids, but the mechanical experts say "DON'T."

What a dilemna.
Old 04-13-12, 02:42 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

IS anyone doing this that could take pictures of where everything is ?

I saw this a wile ago with the images and they showed exactly where everything was, so it looked fairly easy but, I really am not an expert when it comes to working on cars.

If you can thaniks !
Old 04-13-12, 02:57 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

I'm not an expert either, so I'm going to rely on the experts I've been speaking with and "Leave IT ALONE".

Good luck.
Old 06-15-13, 02:15 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Pictures of '01-'03 Transmission Fluid Exchange Procedure

Does anyone have the pictures of the transmission fluid procedure? For some reason they don't seem to show up. I saw them previously and now that it is time to change my transmission fluid I would like to refer to them. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-15-13, 03:40 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My latest LS has 64k not the old one with 200k I trade it for.. I changed the fluid 3x and not a tranny issue in 200k. New dealer is like "ya 10 year old tranny fluid get it out" 159 bucks saying they have to get it to certain temp, drain fill drain fill till new looking, not a flush machine. I am going with what worked in the past I drove the last one real hard, this one also, 80 -90 and above daily.
Old 03-20-14, 05:16 AM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hit 150,000 miles this week and have only put 10K on since I purchased the car. I'd like to do this drain and fill procedure as it seems quite simple.. The records with Lexus don't indicate a tranny service was ever done. Only the 120K service was done last and it said nothing.

Does anyone see a problem with doing this at 150K ??? I don't think it's terribly high mileage for an LS but maybe someone could offer something up for me to think about. Should I just do it and not worry about the results or should I maybe only swap out half the fluid??

Thanks!
Old 03-20-14, 02:00 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KawiLex
I hit 150,000 miles this week and have only put 10K on since I purchased the car. I'd like to do this drain and fill procedure as it seems quite simple.. The records with Lexus don't indicate a tranny service was ever done. Only the 120K service was done last and it said nothing.

Does anyone see a problem with doing this at 150K ??? I don't think it's terribly high mileage for an LS but maybe someone could offer something up for me to think about. Should I just do it and not worry about the results or should I maybe only swap out half the fluid??

Thanks!
Generally, the safer method is a simple drain and fill takes about 3-4 quarts. Simple in 01-03 a little more difficult with 04-06 due to lack of dipstick. A conservative method would be to do a few drain and refills (3 or 4) then drop the transmission pan and filter and then possible engage the torque converter to "flush" out the system entirely. The intervals between them have varied in recommendations. I'd say 3-5k is conservative between the D&F's.

I have an 05 with no previous record of tranny fluid service. I had 2 D&F procedures done a day apart and my car is shifting fine. I plan on swapping out the filter and gasket and doing a torque converter flush soon to change out the whole system.
Old 03-24-14, 01:38 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

if the tranny which does not have a dipstick, how do you fill in the new fluid?

Do you do this via the transmission cooler hose that is connected to the bottom of the radiator?
Old 03-24-14, 07:46 AM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

nope. there's a drain bolt and a fill bolt. transmission cooler line is used to "flush" the system.
Old 03-25-14, 03:38 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by writes123
nope. there's a drain bolt and a fill bolt. transmission cooler line is used to "flush" the system.
So the fill bolt is very similar to the old type of manual transmission or diff oil change?

That is fill the fluid from the fill hole until it comes out. Of course you need to drain the old fluid first.

If this is the case, its even easier than with the dip stick method as you can't easily overfill the tranny.

Quick Reply: DIY For Transmission Flush