LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

05 or 04? - observation

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 12:51 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by combres
BNR34, thanks for pointing those out. I was looking on cars.com, and I couldn't seem to find any. I agree it is definetly tedious to look for since dealers don't know what they are talking about, but that will present a deal.

Thx
You are welcome.

I am glad I could help.
Old 04-28-08, 08:29 AM
combres
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BNR34, have you have driven the sport?

I really like the ls430, but I am looking for best of both worlds, luxury and good handling. I think the sport ed. satisfies these, but wanted to get your opinion.

Ideally I would like a 7 series, but after owning an x5 for a year and it being in the shop all the time (it was under warranty but still), I don't think I would buy a beamer again even though they are a dream to drive.
Old 04-28-08, 09:11 AM
buggs384
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the "sport" package. the dealer refers to this as the "EURO" suspension.
From other LS 430 I have driven, it seems to be just a little tighter in the turns and road feel. Not harsh just tignter.
Exactly like the othet poster said about the bigger sway bars.
Old 04-28-08, 09:37 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

BNR34, have you have driven the sport?
Yes.

I really like the ls430, but I am looking for best of both worlds, luxury and good handling. I think the sport ed. satisfies these, but wanted to get your opinion.

Ideally I would like a 7 series, but after owning an x5 for a year and it being in the shop all the time (it was under warranty but still), I don't think I would buy a beamer again even though they are a dream to drive.
BMWs are a dream to drive, when they are not broken in the shop.

No LS430 would ever handle like a BMW, but Lexus are never in the shop.

I also much prefer hassle free over excellent handling!

I was in the same boat as you when I was shopping for my LS430, I want the most luxury with decent handling. The regular one is definitely not it, as it is total isolation, it float like a boat. I was torned between the sport and the ultra luxury with the air suspension. I test drove both multiple times, my opinions of them are:

The sport definitely have sharper handling, a little less body roll due to it's bigger rear sway bar and stiffer springs, but it does ride a little harsher then I like for a big luxury car. I mainly don't like the bumpy feeling going down the freeway. But it is not bad at all, just not totally smooth.

Now the air suspension on sport mode feels very similar to the sport suspension car, it soaked up the bump just as well, the difference is the air don't have that bumpy feeling, don't have that harsh edge you feel from the firmer shock/firmer upper A-arm bushings of the sport. But the air suspension do have more body roll being on the smaller rear sway bar and it doesn't feel as sharp from it's softer bushings.

I choose the air suspension at the end because I don't want that bumpy sports car feel, and I am planning to install the sport's bigger sway bar on my car to get a little more roll stiffness. In my opinion that is the best of both world.

Ask yourself what you prefer more, sharper handling or softer ride. Can you handle a hair of bumpyness?

Keep in mind if you pick the air suspension, when the air struts wear out and fail, they are $1000 each.

Those are my 2 cents.
Old 04-28-08, 09:55 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I own a '02 euro sport and feel the ride is very plush with the right amount of control for my needs. I came out of a '95 Q with the touring suspension so I don't get the bumpy feeling that BNR34 suggests so I feel it is what you are used to in car handling that will determine what you like. My LS handles very flat and very competently. The Q when driven hard was very hard to break loose and you could feel every imperfection in the road with that car so as I have "matured" I appreciate the plushness of the LS and the euro sport suspensions satisfies my ah, well, immaturity at times.
Old 04-28-08, 10:16 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSGarry
I own a '02 euro sport and feel the ride is very plush with the right amount of control for my needs. I came out of a '95 Q with the touring suspension so I don't get the bumpy feeling that BNR34 suggests so I feel it is what you are used to in car handling that will determine what you like. My LS handles very flat and very competently. The Q when driven hard was very hard to break loose and you could feel every imperfection in the road with that car so as I have "matured" I appreciate the plushness of the LS and the euro sport suspensions satisfies my ah, well, immaturity at times.
Hi LSGarry,

I agreed with everything you said.

Suspension feeling is very subjective, it really depends on what a person is used to and prefer.

Now when I described the sport as bumpy and harsh, I meant just a hair, very very minor. One thing to note is, I assumed you have the stock 17" wheels from the 02' sport, my impressions of the sport suspension is from 04'+ cars with the stock 18" wheels, so the 04'+ cars will be more bumpy then your car due to the lower profile tires.

The suspension in the older Q is definitely MUCH firmer, that car drive just like a sports car.
Old 04-28-08, 10:31 AM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea, I agree with you that the lower profile 18's will probably ride a bit harsher than the 17's and I understand your description of that ride. Anyway you put it, the LS is one sweet ride.
Old 04-28-08, 11:20 AM
combres
Rookie

BNR34 thanks for the reply.

I think the sport will be perfect. I will test drive both before buying, but the UL although very cool might be overkill for me. CL with Euro would be perfect, if they made it. Any idea how much it would cost to a nonsport ls into a sport, springs and sway bars, parts plus labor?

I have always loved large luxury cars, although I am in my late 20s. I have come from driving a Wrx, an x5 4.4i, to no car for a year (living in nyc), i guess the harsh ride of the cabs could be counted. So I think the sport ls would be way plusher than anything I have driven in the past. When I move back to cali (LA) in a few months, I am looking forward to cruising on the highways in the LS.

Now i just have to convince my brother the euro sport LS is a sweet car, since he thinks it is too old man for me. I am not even considering an IS350, since the backseat has no leg room, and the 3rd gen GS is out of my price range.
Old 04-28-08, 11:29 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSGarry
Anyway you put it, the LS is one sweet ride.
That is 100% sure
Old 04-28-08, 11:47 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

BNR34 thanks for the reply.
No problem

I think the sport will be perfect. I will test drive both before buying, but the UL although very cool might be overkill for me. CL with Euro would be perfect, if they made it. Any idea how much it would cost to a nonsport ls into a sport, springs and sway bars, parts plus labor?
The factory don't offer both CL and Euro together. The CL only comes with the regular soft suspension. Euro only comes with Modern Luxury.

The Euro suspension consists of stiffer springs, shocks, bigger rear sway bar and firmer front and rear upper A-arm bushings. I would imagine you probably don't care about the bushings. From my memories of looking at those part's prices, each part is about $200, my rough guess parts and labor is about $2500.

I have always loved large luxury cars, although I am in my late 20s. I have come from driving a Wrx, an x5 4.4i, to no car for a year (living in nyc), i guess the harsh ride of the cabs could be counted. So I think the sport ls would be way plusher than anything I have driven in the past. When I move back to cali (LA) in a few months, I am looking forward to cruising on the highways in the LS.

Now i just have to convince my brother the euro sport LS is a sweet car, since he thinks it is too old man for me. I am not even considering an IS350, since the backseat has no leg room, and the 3rd gen GS is out of my price range.
Again, I am in the same boat as you. I am only 32 myself, my last car was a 04' WRX STi. Funny you mention the WRX, the LS430 sport handle and ride very much like a stock 02' WRX, but the LS430 got less tire sidewall flex since it got a lower profile tires. I would agreed the LS sport is pretty much what you are looking for. And believe me I got a lot of old man comment for my LS430 also, but you know what, who cares what other people think, all I know is I am very happy submerged in luxury, the LS430 is exactly what I am looking for, I loves every single thing about this car.

I also considered all the cars you are considering, yes the IS350 is way too small, my choice was between 2nd/3rd gen GS430 and a 05'/06' LS430, as far as luxury and comfort goes, the LS430 wins hands down, the GS is no comparison. The only benefit the GS got is slightly better handling from it's 200 lbs less weight and tighter suspension and slightly smaller size, also a hair quicker also with the lighter weight, but everything else, the LS430 is better. I maintain my dad's 2nd gen GS300, I am very aware of how that car drive.

After my STi, I don't care much about performance anymore, I just want to cruise slow

Last edited by BNR34; 04-28-08 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-28-08, 02:54 PM
combres
Rookie

I had an 02 wrx, and really loved the car. But I grew tired of how loud the car was. The road noise on long trips and on the highway was pretty bad. I liked the raw power, but I won't sacrifice it for comfort.

I can't wait to cruise. And the power is there if you need it, 0-60 in 6s, isn't that what the ls will do?
Old 04-29-08, 03:00 PM
combres
Rookie

BNR34, I PMed you.
Old 04-29-08, 03:54 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

BNR34, I PMed you.
Yeah I saw it.

Sorry I haven't have time to reply you, will soon
Old 04-29-08, 08:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

BNR34, I PMed you.
PM replyed
Old 04-29-08, 08:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I had an 02 wrx, and really loved the car. But I grew tired of how loud the car was. The road noise on long trips and on the highway was pretty bad. I liked the raw power, but I won't sacrifice it for comfort.
Yes. WRX are for 18-25 years old.

I can't wait to cruise. And the power is there if you need it, 0-60 in 6s, isn't that what the ls will do?
All things considered, I say the 04'+ LS430 does the 0-60 in 5.5~6.0 seconds.

Lexus claimed 5.9, and Lexus is always conservative in their claim. My seat of the pants tell me is quicker. I have owned cars that does low 4s, my butt dyno is calibrated

Quick Reply: 05 or 04? - observation