1cm above second dot on oil stick

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 08:53 PM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1cm above second dot on oil stick

All,
Just did an oil change and I put in exactly 6 qts. After running the engine the oil level went down of course. Right now the oil is about 1cm above the second dot. Is it too much oil or should i release some? Just don't want to damage the engine. Anyone please advise. Thank you.

-Kenji
Old 05-28-08, 09:19 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

No one? Any input would be great. Thanks.
Old 05-28-08, 10:32 AM
Lexophile
Driver School Candidate

Hi There,
Check carefully and if it is over the mark... release some. The handbook says that the oil should not exceed the recommended amount. and its relatively easy to drop some out.
Any excess oil will burn off and the odds of damaging the engine are minimal but why chance it?? Drop it to just below the second mark. Then you will have peace of mind. The recommended oil amount is 5.8. If you change the filter (which you definitely should)

regard

Milton
Old 05-28-08, 03:37 PM
CarguyinGa
Driver School Candidate

That little of an amount is not worth worrying over, there will be no ill effects of it being that much over. The point that it becomes a problem is when it goes so high that the crankshaft counterweights are hitting the surface of oil in the sump and that's certainly not an issue at that level you described. ASE master tech for 24 yrs btw, I know what i'm speaking of....rest easy!
Old 05-28-08, 05:17 PM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CarguyinGa
That little of an amount is not worth worrying over, there will be no ill effects of it being that much over. The point that it becomes a problem is when it goes so high that the crankshaft counterweights are hitting the surface of oil in the sump and that's certainly not an issue at that level you described. ASE master tech for 24 yrs btw, I know what i'm speaking of....rest easy!
Thank you very much for you response. So if the oil level was like at the half way mark of the entire oil stick, then i'd have a problem right?
Old 05-29-08, 06:29 AM
CarguyinGa
Driver School Candidate

The few cases I've witnessed that had negative effects were at least 2 or 3 qts over the full mark. The worst case was a Chevy Lumina with a 3.1L V6, it was causing a very rough idle, the co-worker that had the duty to repair it thought it was a mechanical imbalance inside the engine and was preparing to pull the oil pan to examine it. When he began draining it, his drain bucket overflowed, it had a 12 qt capacity. We began thinking at that point, and figured that level could be the cause ( engine capacity was 5 qts) he refilled it to the correct level and all was restored to normal, no adverse long term effects. It was a rental car that had visited a local fast lube place for an oil & filter change, the vibration was worse than I'd ever felt due to the crankshaft slamming into oil in the sump at that extreme level. If it's not causing an extreme vibration or smoking you have nothing to fear. It would require a gross overfill to cause either condition, at least a few full quarts.
Old 05-29-08, 08:59 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

The few cases I've witnessed that had negative effects were at least 2 or 3 qts over the full mark. The worst case was a Chevy Lumina with a 3.1L V6, it was causing a very rough idle, the co-worker that had the duty to repair it thought it was a mechanical imbalance inside the engine and was preparing to pull the oil pan to examine it. When he began draining it, his drain bucket overflowed, it had a 12 qt capacity. We began thinking at that point, and figured that level could be the cause ( engine capacity was 5 qts) he refilled it to the correct level and all was restored to normal, no adverse long term effects. It was a rental car that had visited a local fast lube place for an oil & filter change, the vibration was worse than I'd ever felt due to the crankshaft slamming into oil in the sump at that extreme level. If it's not causing an extreme vibration or smoking you have nothing to fear. It would require a gross overfill to cause either condition, at least a few full quarts.

So it sounds like 1 or 1/2 a quart over is not that big of a deal. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-29-08, 12:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I always wonder about this, and what you said make perfect sense.

Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 06-04-08, 04:06 PM
Carl_NH
Driver School Candidate

Just had similar situtation today as wife took 04 LS UL to the local Toyo dealer and wife said the receipt says 8 Qts (but charged for the normal $29.95 oil change) so I check the dipstick and its nearly a half inch over full level.

Same concern with the crank agitiating/foaming the oil and causing issues - or is there no issue? By the way I read the replies - there is no problem but I just want to be sure or if I should have the Toyo dealer remove a quart..

Thanks