LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04+ LS430 vs 04+ E500

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 02:21 AM
redkingjoe
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drive a 2000LS400.

1) a year ago, i went to Turkey and the hotel used a quite new(2005 or 2006) MB s500 to take me from airport to hotel and take me from hotel to airport. for transportation, many of the hotels also use MB s-class

in terms of ride comfort, my old ls400 beats the S-class MB hands down...let alone the ls430

2 E-class is a cheap MB. i really think it's insulting to compare a E-class to LS! nevertheless, I have driven E280(i rented one for a week when i was a tourist in europe) for quite sometime and I also have been passengers for the E-class. It really a laugh for comparing E-class to LS.

3 last month, i went to Taiwan for hot mineral spa...they use Camry(v2.0, 2000cc only) as Taxi...the Camry is so much more comfortable than a E-class!

4) please don't take all my words...rent a E500 for half day and rent a LS for one day...you'll know

Last edited by redkingjoe; 06-06-08 at 02:26 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 07:33 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by redkingjoe
...in terms of ride comfort, my old ls400 beats the S-class MB hands down...let alone the ls430
My findings as well -- I drove the S500 before buying an LS430 and not only did the LS ride more comfortably, it 'drove' waay better. And I TRIED to like the S because my wife loved MBs. (She since switched her loyalty after a little while with the LS and GX.) The S500 reminded me of an Oldsmobile -- both the instruments and the wallowy way it felt on the road. :: prepares for brainwashed MB fans' panty-hurt response::

2 E-class is a cheap MB. i really think it's insulting to compare a E-class to LS! nevertheless, I have driven E280(i rented one for a week when i was a tourist in europe) for quite sometime and I also have been passengers for the E-class. It really a laugh for comparing E-class to LS.
4) please don't take all my words...rent a E500 for half day and rent a LS for one day...you'll know
Werd.
Old 06-06-08, 07:48 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
... build quality is quite excellent on the newer MB....
LMAO Surrrrre it is. They're going to move ahead of Kia this year. Uhhh.... No.

My wife's '01 CLK430 went to the dealer for 30 (that's THIRTY!!!) problems in its first 28K miles. And I encountered other people who had similar experiences. ANY manufacturer offering a turd like that does NOT build quality vehicles. Period. You could submerge a Lexus in the #$%! ocean for 2 months, dry it out, and it still wouldn't have as many electrical problems as the MB did. LOL It's always funny to watch MB lovers trying to "defend their wh*re" claiming that MB has finally, finally, finally fixed their problematic nature. MB's will become less problem prone when they hire Honda or Toyota (or for that matter, GM or Ford) to design their electrical systems for them. Aryan supercar FTL!

Last edited by I6turbo; 06-06-08 at 07:52 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 08:53 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't consider 01 CLK to be "newer" MB btw... I agree those old body style benz suck *** and the old S-Class is very uncomfortable... I am reffering to newer benzs...

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...tings-by-brand

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/article...:-Premium-Cars

click on Lexus look at ES, IS, GS, LS compare them to C, E, CLS, S and see if Lexus is THAT MUCH better in "Overall Initial Quality" of course I'm talking about 08...
Do some research, dont base your judgement on OLD data... Everyone know Lexus is the benchmark when it comes to Quality, but you shouldn't dissmiss everyone else just because they're not Lexus.. Now the only cars I hate with that kind of passion are Domestic cars (garabage), have you seen the new Ford commericals, "Now Ford finally matches Toyota in Quailty, so buy a Ford!" is what they say, how lame is that...

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 06-07-08 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-06-08, 09:33 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

i don't consider 01 CLK to be "newer" MB btw... I agree those old body style benz suck *** and the old S-Class is very uncomfortable... I am reffering to newer benzs...
LOL So after 100 years, they suddenly in 2008 started making cars that don't suck ***?
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...tings-by-brand
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/article...:-Premium-Cars
click on Lexus look at ES, IS, GS, LS compare them to C, E, CLS, S and see if Lexus is THAT MUCH better in "Overall Initial Quality" of course I'm talking about 08...
Do some research, dont base your judgement on OLD data... Everyone know Lexus is the benchmark when it comes to Quality, but you should dissmiss everyone else just because they're not Lexus.. Now the only cars I hate with that kind of passion are Domestic cars (garabage), have you seen the new Ford commericals, "Now Ford finally matches Toyota in Quailty, so buy a Ford!" is what they say, how lame is that...
I dont' call 2007 data old. I'm MUCH MUCH more interested in what the Vehicle Dependability Survey says because it is an indicator of what to expect over 3+ years, not 3 months. Just because MB may have finally managed to produce a vehicle that isn't frequently hauled back to the dealership on a flatbed prior to the 3 month survey, doesn't convince me of much. Here are the latest 3-year results for premium cars:
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...ge-premium-car

Midsize car:
http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...ze-premium-car

You admittely hate domestics, but yet the domestics out-point MB in these surveys.

And BTW, MB fans have been saying for YEARS that "The NEW MB's are MUCH better now." I guess that makes them feel better. I've owned MB's off and on since 1984, when they were actually the best cars in the world, IMO. They have been on a steady decline in reliability ever since that period. Have they all of a sudden turned it around??? We'll see, but it takes more than 3 months to convince me that a 20 year trend has been not only reversed, but dramatically jacked back into line.

All that I can see from the 2008 initial quality results is it seems that in order to enjoy that first 3 months of relatively trouble free MB ownership, you'd have to be willing to take the a$$ reaming depreciation that comes with them, and I have much better things to do with my money than that, even if it's to give it away to people who need it.
Old 06-07-08, 12:13 AM
redkingjoe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I6turbo
And BTW, MB fans have been saying for YEARS that "The NEW MB's are MUCH better now." I guess that makes them feel better. I've owned MB's off and on since 1984, when they were actually the best cars in the world, IMO. They have been on a steady decline in reliability ever since that period. Have they all of a sudden turned it around??? We'll see, but it takes more than 3 months to convince me that a 20 year trend has been not only reversed, but dramatically jacked back into line.
in the year of 1990, it was my first time riding on a MB E-240(long vehicle), it was so comfortable that i was really amazed at how well a MB can be.

i dare to say that MB performed extremely well in keeping up the ride quality of the 1990s...it is the same 1990 MB ride quality in the year of 2007...however, Lexus has been improving with numerous innovation over that many years.
Old 06-07-08, 12:25 AM
redkingjoe
Lead Lap

Pardon me: I dare say that the comfortable ride of a 2004 Toyota Camry with only 2.0L(2000cc we dont even need V6 3500 cc) will beat all E280 or below and C class hands down

i very often commune with Camry 2.0 and MB E as taxi.

test it and you know!
Old 06-07-08, 01:10 AM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Owning now and in the past Mercedeses and Lexuses I'd take a Lexus any day. I keep coming back to the Mercs once in a while just because the depreciation is so steep that I seem to be able to get a comparable used car (comparable to a similar year Lexus) in almost half the price. Otherwise I'd be Lexus most of the time.
Old 06-07-08, 01:43 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by redkingjoe
Pardon me: I dare say that the comfortable ride of a 2004 Toyota Camry with only 2.0L(2000cc we dont even need V6 3500 cc) will beat all E280 or below and C class hands down

i very often commune with Camry 2.0 and MB E as taxi.

test it and you know!

dude, I wish you weren't even in this conversion w/ the stupid camry talk and your stupid E280, I dont even know what a E280 looks like (I'm just kidding, it's looks like any other E-class) Lets NOT bring up stupid 04Camry when we are talking about LS vs E-class please! you stick w/ your 4cyln camry, and I'll stay with my E350, OKAY!

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 06-07-08 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 04:20 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the new E350 looks awesome,7-speed auto. Interior is not the best, and it has the ugliest steering wheel ever made, but aside from that. Excellent ride, tuned just the way a car should be.
My boss had a 04 E500 that he got with 14k miles on it, and it broke down very often. Lucky him, the MB service shop was down the block from work.
Few years back, I had a 94 S500, which was an awesome car, and it also broke down with stupid things like climate control, and window regulators, all minor things, but the cost to fix them was not that minor.
German cars are great when new and still have warranty, which is why I dont drive a 01 740iL, one of best looking sedans ever made.
Lexus spoiled me rotten. I expect reliability at all times now, and a car can't deliver that, its not worth a penny to me, dont care if its a Bentley or a MB.
Old 06-10-08, 05:39 AM
GeorgeT
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want an upscale auto that is great to drive, get a 7 Series BMW. If you want an upscale auto that rides great and is very quiet, get a Lexus LS460 (or 430) and if you want an upscale auto that drives good (not great) and has a smooth ride (not great), get the MB500.

BMW's are made to drive, MB's are made to ride in.

(I have both a LS430 - wife's car and a 7 Series BMW - my car)
Old 06-10-08, 07:01 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

IME, the drive and the ride were both better in the LS than the S-class. That's just comparing the previous generation S500 "AMG" and S430 -- not the S55 cars or the new, recently released S-class. I was NOT impressed with the S-class cars I drove -- they were much less than I anticipated based upon my expereinces driving an E500 and owning the CLK430. I expected the S's to feel much more solid and "together" than they did. <shrug>
Old 06-10-08, 11:16 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My girlfriend has a s500. It is one sweet car, when it doesn't have electrical issues.

I don't own a ls430 but have driven and riden in a few.

My observation is that the s500 has more room. Ride is a little sportier and responsive. More engine power. I don't like the controls for the stereo/nav/ ect. Also, the cup holders suck and there aren't enough of them.

The ls430 has a smoother ride, controls are more user friendly. I feel a lot more at ease in taking the 430 on long road trips. When we take the s500 on long trips i'm always making sure we have enough money just in case we have to stop in at a dealer and get some sensor replaced.
Old 06-10-08, 01:48 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=atoyot;3594597] Also, the cup holders suck and there aren't enough of them.
QUOTE]

huummm S-Class has 4 cup holders
and the last I checked, LS has 4 cup holders???
what the hell are you talking about; "there aren't enough of them"!!
Old 06-10-08, 01:56 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I6turbo
IME, the drive and the ride were both better in the LS than the S-class. That's just comparing the previous generation S500 "AMG" and S430 -- not the S55 cars or the new, recently released S-class. I was NOT impressed with the S-class cars I drove -- they were much less than I anticipated based upon my expereinces driving an E500 and owning the CLK430. I expected the S's to feel much more solid and "together" than they did. <shrug>

hey go drive the New S550, and if you know anything about cars, you will appreciate the New S550... we all know the older S-class suck, so give it rest yah!

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 06-10-08 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 04+ LS430 vs 04+ E500