LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Got a 7.1 GPS disk to replace my stock 2004 Disk, and..

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 09:47 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got a 7.1 GPS disk to replace my stock 2004 Disk, and..

First off, I tried to make a "hybrid" DVD out of my 7.1 and 4.2 NAV disks..And it didn't work. I kept getting a "please insert the correct disk" error message. A Hybrid disk basically uses an older firmware with the newer maps so the override feature still works so one can input new navigation destinations while driving.

Some things noted:

1. You CAN go back to version 4.2 even after upgrading to 7.1 (the latest NAV). You just have to pull a fuse under the passenger kick panel, 7.5 amps (#35 or #36) for a few seconds with the key ON after you eject a disk and put the other one in. I now keep my 4.2 disc with me in case not being able to input destinations bother me while driving.

2. Versions 4 and 5 will allow the manual NAV override, but 6.1 and 7.1 will not.

3. The phone functionality still works (direct dial while driving) if you have an Ultimate Lockpick
Old 06-20-08, 09:53 PM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so I understand some of what you're saying. Here's a question. I have a 2004 LS with the original NAV. Which one can I upgrade to without any issues or functionality problems? I don't want to have to swap out disc's or pull fuses. I just want to drop in the latest version that will work withe the 2004 model and go. Any ideas? Thanks for the info.
Old 06-20-08, 10:48 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Are you aware of a product called "The Ultimate Lockpick?" What this does is get rid of the "I agree" prompt, allow full bluetooth access while driving, and allows you full Nav functionality while driving (i.e. you can input new addresses of destinations without stopping the car).

In 2006 changes were made that stopped the Nav override from working. So the 04/05 still allowed for the override, and the 06/07 does not.

If you don't have an Ultimate Lockpick, then just pick up the latest DVD, which is version 7.1 and takes you up to November 2007. And you shouldn't have to pull out any fuses; it's just taking out 2 simple screws on the passenger side of the trunk to pop up your DVD player to remove the old disc, which you will have to do. Very simple.

Shawn
Old 06-24-08, 04:29 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

airtime has tried in numerous ways to create a hybrid disk with no success. I tried myself with a different burner and version disk (4.2) with the same results. Either it would freeze up, ask you to insert the correct disk.

I really hate having to stop to enter an address, especially if im already on a highway.
Old 06-24-08, 06:03 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Is it as simple as ejecting out the old disk and putting the new disk in? The system will automatically update itself? Do you even have to go into the diagonostic screen?
Old 06-24-08, 07:30 PM
04_LS_430R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sparky3
Are you aware of a product called "The Ultimate Lockpick?" What this does is get rid of the "I agree" prompt, allow full bluetooth access while driving, and allows you full Nav functionality while driving (i.e. you can input new addresses of destinations without stopping the car).

In 2006 changes were made that stopped the Nav override from working. So the 04/05 still allowed for the override, and the 06/07 does not.

If you don't have an Ultimate Lockpick, then just pick up the latest DVD, which is version 7.1 and takes you up to November 2007. And you shouldn't have to pull out any fuses; it's just taking out 2 simple screws on the passenger side of the trunk to pop up your DVD player to remove the old disc, which you will have to do. Very simple.

Shawn
Yes, I have heard of the Ultimate Lockpick. I know how it works, but I don't have it installed. So if I understand you correctly, the latest NAV version 7.1 will work without any major mods (pulling fuses, etc.) but only if I don't have the UL installed in my unit. If I do install the UL, then I can only go as new as the Nav disc that came with the 2005 model. (I assume that would be the 5.1?) Let me know if I got it all screwed up. Thanks.
Old 06-24-08, 09:49 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm losing the original question here

Regardless of a lockpick installed, you can upgrade your nav disk to the newest version which is 7.1. As Grand LS4 mentioned, I've spend probably over $100 in DVD+RL disk trying to get a hybrid made using many various method that had worked before on previous versions. I may go back to my v6.1 hybrid as the map hasn't really change for me in my v7.1. I do miss entering address while the car is moving.

Those using the v5.1 and older can still use the manual unlock method, without the lockpick, but you will have to do it each time you turn off the engine. Actually, that's a real economical way to go, it's FREE
Old 06-25-08, 07:48 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by airtime

Regardless of a lockpick installed, you can upgrade your nav disk to the newest version which is 7.1. As Grand LS4 mentioned, I've spend probably over $100 in DVD+RL disk trying to get a hybrid made using many various method that had worked before on previous versions. I may go back to my v6.1 hybrid as the map hasn't really change for me in my v7.1. I do miss entering address while the car is moving.

Those using the v5.1 and older can still use the manual unlock method, without the lockpick, but you will have to do it each time you turn off the engine. Actually, that's a real economical way to go, it's FREE
Airtime is correct. However, the lockpick still enables full bluetooth access while rolling, even with the 7.1 NAV disk. I use that more than anything.
Old 06-25-08, 07:49 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by airtime

Airtime - so the hybrid DOES work with a 6.1 disk? Did you use the 4.2's loading.kwi or the 5.1's? I hate to buy yet another disc!
Old 06-25-08, 08:43 AM
airtime
Racer

I was using v5.1 kwi file injecting it into the v6.1 iso image. Burn onto Verbatium DVD+R Double Layer disk. Memorex works but never a failure on Verbatium brand.
Old 06-25-08, 04:28 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Way over my head
Old 07-10-08, 05:41 AM
David M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you take a stock 2005 gps and update it with the 7.1 software, can you then install (?) the Lockpick? How much is it and where do we get it?
Old 11-26-08, 09:03 PM
bill davis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sparky3

Shawn
How do you remove the old disc and put in the new one? thanks..
Old 11-26-08, 09:29 PM
Lex"eye"
Driver School Candidate

So were do I get the 7.1 ???? and how do I install the UL??? It appears from reading that you just access the DVD in the trunk, load th new DVD and away you go. Is that correct???
Old 11-26-08, 09:46 PM
airtime
Racer

Originally Posted by Lex"eye"
So were do I get the 7.1 ???? and how do I install the UL??? It appears from reading that you just access the DVD in the trunk, load th new DVD and away you go. Is that correct???
You can get the v7.1 from the dealer but I would wait as that's last years update. A new one should be around the corner. And yes, you pop the old one out from the right rear trunk area and replace with the updated.

Not sure what your year LS430 is as the lockpick is specific to 04+, to install, you have to pull the center console out. Do a search and you should be able to find a "How To" that I had written.

Quick Reply: Got a 7.1 GPS disk to replace my stock 2004 Disk, and..