LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My AC smell any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-08, 11:43 AM
i3leusky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this might sound stupid but i did took that one out and "sniff" it didnt smell bad to me. haha
Old 07-03-08, 12:11 PM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's what you need

http://www.keep-it-kool.com/treat/treatment.html
Old 07-03-08, 12:38 PM
Hybrid-JD
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexkost

has anyone tried this?? and does it work?? Looks interesting.. tempted to test it out..
Old 07-03-08, 07:27 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i3leusky
this might sound stupid but i did took that one out and "sniff" it didnt smell bad to me. haha
Then it sounds like the problem is a moisture problem in the ductwork, and not the cabin filter. Again, just keep the fan going with an Auto setting.
Old 07-05-08, 12:53 AM
i3leusky
Rookie

ok had the heat run full blast for 10 min and didnt help but i think it reduce the smell a little should i run it some more?
Old 07-05-08, 01:49 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i ran mine for 20mins AFTER it was good and hot....
Old 07-11-08, 11:33 AM
j4x0n
Rookie

i tried the heater trick but that still didn't work for my car.... does anyone know approx how much it costs to change to a new filter?
Old 07-11-08, 01:23 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just changed my cabin filter this morning. I ordered a replacement one from Sewell (great service!!) and including shipping it was $34.00. I took a look see into my lower glove box and it was totally understandable on how to replace the filter. Took me all of 2 minutes to do. The old one was wretched btw and the air does seem to smell better...probably psychological tho. =))
Old 07-11-08, 07:10 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sprayed 1 part bleach 20 parts water in the filter slot. Let it sit for 30 minutes with the fan off and windows down. Then turned the car on for 30 minutes with all the windows down. Bleach did the trick.
Takes a total of 2 hours for the smell to go away. Kind of like setting off a bug fogger in the house. Now all is fine. Just what I did, not giving anyone any advice.
Old 07-11-08, 08:35 PM
pete896
Rookie

just change your cabin filter that should solve the smell problem.
Old 07-11-08, 09:52 PM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 01' UL and I had changed the cabin filter (the one behind the glove box) for about 3 months now.
NOW, everytime I start up the car, it gives me a message of Change A/C Filter. I wonder it means the air filter by the engine compartment or the cabin filter by the glove box or some other filter somewhere I don't know about. Please help....
Old 07-21-08, 10:16 PM
i3leusky
Rookie

anyone know where is the evaporator at? i bought the can now i just need to know how to use it.
Old 07-22-08, 04:08 PM
LEX012006
Driver

If you are running the a/c with the air "recirculating" in the vehicle, then stop. Let fresh air in. Do not run it on auto (this setting shut the doors for outside air to come in). You want to run the a/c with fresh air coming into vehicle. When you run the a/c with the door closed. all you are doing is circulating the stagnant air that is cooped up inside of the vehicle. This causes mildew to form around the evaporator. Pulling fresh air into vehicle will resolve this problem.
My UL has this issue from time to time. Each time I turn on the a/c and it is very hot & especially humid out, I would get the foul smell for a short time, then it would clear up. So all I would have to do is to leave the a/c setting on fresh air coming into vehicle and the smell would be gone. The smell returns only after the a/c is run for a long period of time with the outside vents closed.
So every now and then, let fresh air into vehicle when you are running the air conditioning.
Old 07-22-08, 08:34 PM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LEX012006
Do not run it on auto (this setting shut the doors for outside air to come in).
Not exactly true. AUTO mode constantly switches back and forth from OUTSIDE to RECIRCULATE automatically. You can adjust the sensitivity of the sensor that switches between the two by holding down the air intake control button until you hear the "beep". You'll see a "0" on the display. You can then press the up and down buttons to set a bias (shown as "+" or "-" digits) towards or against more outside air.

It's all explained in the Owner's Manual.

Actually, my 04 LS, while in AUTO mode is mostly showing "Outside", switching to "Recirculate" mostly in times when rapid cooling is needed. Lexus has thought this "Auto" thing out pretty well, yet still allows setting our own preferences. I was told years ago by a Lexus tech that always leaving it in AUTO (and never turning A/C to OFF) will prevent the smell. I took that advice, after replacing the cabin filter, and have never had the smell again
Old 07-23-08, 01:46 AM
i3leusky
Rookie

again anyone know where the evaporator is? because i tried everything and it still doesn't work i bought this foam can and it said spray into the evaporator which i dont know where it located. i have an idea it should be near the power steering but not sure.

Quick Reply: My AC smell any ideas?