LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My AC smell any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 03:07 AM
Haylands
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bb430
I have an 01' UL and I had changed the cabin filter (the one behind the glove box) for about 3 months now.
NOW, everytime I start up the car, it gives me a message of Change A/C Filter. I wonder it means the air filter by the engine compartment or the cabin filter by the glove box or some other filter somewhere I don't know about. Please help....

Hi

Its the one you changed, to reset it press and hold down the climate "Off" button untill the dash displayes "A/C Filter reset" takes about 5-10secs. If it keeps doing it after replacement then its not fitted correctly, the system uses differential pressure to determine if the filter is blocked.

In the UK we get bad smells caused by a build up of bacteria in the air con, the only way to rid it completely is to use an odour bomb, these kill the bacteria, do this with a new filter and all will be well.

Leaving the car on hot for 10-20 mins will only get the temperature up enough to encourage the bacteria to grow more, you need to get to boiling point to kill bacteria, people here have tried with leaving kettles forced to on in the footwell for 10 mins but this only has a limited effect as the whole system needs to be cleaned.

The Lexus climate control has a smog sensor in the system which when you switch the recirculate/fresh air to auto it monitors the quality of air comming into the car and switches to recirculate if needed, you can adjust the setting by holding down the button.

Most shops who do aircon here have the odour bombs available but ebay have some if you need it.

The evaporator is deep within the dash, to use these bombs you place it in the footwell with the aircon on max, with it set to recirculate, stay outside the car with the doors and windows shut and it will pull it through the evaporator and clean the system.

Just my 2c worth!!!

Good luck

Pete
Old 07-23-08, 10:36 AM
i3leusky
Rookie

so you saying the evaporator is not reach able? can you take a quick pic of whre it at?
Old 08-30-08, 07:21 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi everyone. Im having this smelly problem right now. I've tried everything. Heat for like 30 min, spraying filter with febreeze, nothing helps. So i spoke to one of my friends and he said that if you park your car outside some leaves can get stuck in the vents near the windshield (thats where LS sucks the air into the car), get inside, after that bacteria finds a new home and this is how the problem starts. I was told that removing windshield wipers and that plastic cover on top of the vents and cleaning everything inside will do the trick. I've tried it and the only problem is i cant remove those wipers.

Anyone has any idea how to do it plz...

If i get this to work i will make a new post with pics and everything for everyone else for the future use.
Old 08-30-08, 08:52 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

The problem comes from mildew growing on the filter inside the cabin. I was told by a Lexus tech that it comes from not using the "Auto" on the recirculating air button while using the AC. The only way to get rid of the issues is to replace the filter with a new one. I had this issue when I first bought my CPO back in June, while I was waiting on my first 5000 mile oil change at the dealer, I asked my tech what causes the problem and that is what he told me.
Old 08-31-08, 06:28 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Default odor

Airsept.com has the best info and product I have found.

Alan
Old 08-31-08, 06:35 AM
alanchad
Pole Position

Default ul

Originally Posted by bb430
I have an 01' UL and I had changed the cabin filter (the one behind the glove box) for about 3 months now.
NOW, everytime I start up the car, it gives me a message of Change A/C Filter. I wonder it means the air filter by the engine compartment or the cabin filter by the glove box or some other filter somewhere I don't know about. Please help....
There is another cabin filter in the trunk up high, easy to find.
For the rear a/c.

There is also another under each front seat behind the little drawer.
Just pops down. These are for the seat a/c.

Alan
Old 12-31-09, 10:42 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too experience this issue. For me, it was neither the front or rear cabin filters—they are clean and not the source. My problem is caused by stagnant water trapped someplace beyond the plastic grid under the windshield wipers. This water is likely sitting in leaves that have also fallen down over the years under the grid. This water will mildew and smell. Since the car's system gets it’s outside air from this path, that is why you get the smell when the system is set to 'outside'. For me, if I choose 'inside/recalculated' air, the smell goes away, OR if the AC is on with 'outside' air, the smell is subdued a bit. Just outside 'vent' air with no AC produces the strongest smell.

After talking with a couple of guys at the dealer's shop, they were both familiar with folks complaining about the same problem and recommended the following:

Get a large container of Simple Green and pour small amounts down the grid under the wiper (it doesn’t take that much). It will immediately fall out on the ground from underneath the car, but some will remain trapped (where the stagnant water is). You can follow that by getting your garden hose and spraying water directly down the grid. Make sure to get it good. The idea here is to blow out or dislodge the mildewed water/debris that is down there. Then pour a bit more Simple Green.

This has worked wonders for the smell and makes it go away completely. I've only had to do this twice in the past year. But here in Florida during the rainy months, the problem seems to occur more often and I plan to do the same procedure more than twice. I also like the fact that I'm using Simple Green because it's non-toxic and harmless to any pets and children as well as your yard or driveway.

Another poster spoke of an inlet or tube that is down behind this grid that could possibly be cleaned out with a wire. If anyone can figure out how to remove the wipers and grid, I'd be interested to hear those instructions because I'm willing to bet I have lots of debris down there that is holding this water aiding to the problem.
Old 01-19-10, 11:57 AM
LSDoc
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another cabin filter???

Originally Posted by alanchad
There is another cabin filter in the trunk up high, easy to find.
For the rear a/c.

There is also another under each front seat behind the little drawer.
Just pops down. These are for the seat a/c.

Alan

I have a 2001 430 LS, not UL. Does it also have a rear air filter?https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima...1387914497.gif
Old 01-19-10, 09:14 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LSDoc
I have a 2001 430 LS, not UL. Does it also have a rear air filter?https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ima...1387914497.gif
Non UL dont have a rear air filter(purifier).