LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus Gen 4 V7.1/V4.2 with override WORKING!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-08, 01:21 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hey "airtime", I hope this is legit... let me know when you get this working...
Old 07-06-08, 05:49 PM
killabeez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whew!!

I'm glad someone has gotten it work besides me...Thanks for the Post CardsLS430! I would not try to stray anyone to make believe I had something that I didn't. I was so excited that I joined different Forums just to post what I have found. Hopefully others can get this to work with no problems!!!
Old 07-06-08, 06:01 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by killabeez
I'm glad someone has gotten it work besides me...Thanks for the Post CardsLS430! I would not try to stray anyone to make believe I had something that I didn't. I was so excited that I joined different Forums just to post what I have found. Hopefully others can get this to work with no problems!!!
Thanks. I burned a working disk too.
Old 07-06-08, 06:05 PM
killabeez
Driver School Candidate

Default Heck Yeah!!!!

I'm feeling good today baby!!! That's great man I'm so glad that it is working for you guys. You guys are a tough crowd though... you had me thinking that my S#$% was going to blow up or something....lol. But its cool though.
Old 07-06-08, 06:31 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

No joy for me as I can't find my v4.2 disk. Laying around the house somewhere. I did try to create a v6.1 to v7.1 using that method but the size of v6.1 is too large.

However, here's an issue that I found. The IDX folder are where all the points of interest are located and the Indexdat.kwi file looks for the matching IDX folder. So if you are skipping copying the IDX and Indexdat.kwi files, you are then using older Points of Interest, which in itself is not a big deal. Can those of you that got it working confirm this is true? Look for a new Starbucks that wasn't around a while ago

The Alldata.kwi is where the new maps are located so that's the important file. Loading.kwi is the operating system/version controller.

Not sure what the 05.cmp does but it looks to the IDX folder.

Killerbeez, I gotta give you props too. Looks like a winner
I'll be looking for my v4.2 disk but in the meantime, see if you can burn another one with the v7.1 IDX and Indexdat.kwi copied over also. Meaning, copy all your v7.1 into a folder, delete the 05.cmp, and then copy over from your V4.2, the loading.kwi only. I believe it that should give you the latest POI so it's the best of both worlds. Let me know, thanks.
Old 07-06-08, 06:50 PM
killabeez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by airtime
No joy for me as I can't find my v4.2 disk. Laying around the house somewhere. I did try to create a v6.1 to v7.1 using that method but the size of v6.1 is too large.

However, here's an issue that I found. The IDX folder are where all the points of interest are located and the Indexdat.kwi file looks for the matching IDX folder. So if you are skipping copying the IDX and Indexdat.kwi files, you are then using older Points of Interest, which in itself is not a big deal. Can those of you that got it working confirm this is true? Look for a new Starbucks that wasn't around a while ago

The Alldata.kwi is where the new maps are located so that's the important file. Loading.kwi is the operating system/version controller.

Not sure what the 05.cmp does but it looks to the IDX folder.

Killerbeez, I gotta give you props too. Looks like a winner
I'll be looking for my v4.2 disk but in the meantime, see if you can burn another one with the v7.1 IDX and Indexdat.kwi copied over also. Meaning, copy all your v7.1 into a folder, delete the 05.cmp, and then copy over from your V4.2, the loading.kwi only. I believe it that should give you the latest POI so it's the best of both worlds. Let me know, thanks.
Yeah i know and that was the reason i did not copy over the IDX folder. The only reason I did not do it from the v7.1 disc but decided to go str8 from the v4.2 was because the INDEXDAT.KWI files had different code and i was not sure if had anything to do with that override menu so I chose to go the route that i did. I will try what you said now and post my results in an hour or so.
Old 07-06-08, 08:03 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would i have to pull the fuse again? I dont think i would ever need to downgrade if mine works now perfectly though. All i was saying in general what i did and that i currently have NO problems. I didnt change much of anything and i am still using my same firmware. I was telling those who had the override feature already what to do to get the updated map and POIs and still have the same functionality. I'm a newbie that was trying to get my nav updated and wanted my override as well. I only had my car for a month on Monday. Just trying to help.
I guess I mentioned the "pull the fuse" thing as you stated you were going to sell these for $50 a pop to fellow forum members. Anyone who was on 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 would all have to pull their fuses to get the new firmware to work, which is what I had to do to go backwards from the 5.1 to your 4.1/7.1 hybrid.

I think I'll stick to the 5.1/6.1 disc for now as since I wasted my last dual layer DVD+R trying your suggestion. I'm glad to hear that you may have found a workaround though - I just wish you'd caught it before. Such is life!
Shawn
Old 07-06-08, 08:30 PM
killabeez
Driver School Candidate

Default gee wiz

I was saying that i already had v4.2 so that was what i was working with. You could have tried your v5.1 disc with the v7.1 by copying all files from your v7.1 over your v5.1 EXCEPT for the 4 files mentioned (05.CMP, INDEXDAT.KWI, Loading.KWI, IDX folder). I did not want anyone to go backwards because I did not try it like that. I was trying to get people who had already had the override feature still working on their navi to try that method to get the updated info without losing your same functionality. Sorry that you had to waste your last 2 dollar DVD+R DL disc. What about me risking my 2 dollars to figure something out and help everyone else? Some people are just so ungrateful at times. Not referring to anyone here but just in general.
Old 07-06-08, 08:54 PM
killabeez
Driver School Candidate

Default no good

Airtime: Waste of disc boss but good idea and creative thinking but a no go on that notion. It loaded fine but address and poi buttons don't work and the rest of them took like a minute for it to open up. Also i forgot to tell you that the LOADING.KWI uses the INDEXDAT.KWI as a reference guide just like in a book. So if Index index does not match the loading.kwi you have buttons that don't work or other aspects of the navi malfuctioning. LOL, my train of thought is coming back to me now as it did when i modded the v4.2 disc. I just had to rethink what I did and why. I probably should have documented what I did and why in the first place so everyone could see my way of thinking. Its cool though. Its always good to have another set of eyes looking at things. Thats why people with great minds have sidekicks and assistants....lol. Cheers!
Old 07-06-08, 10:16 PM
sparky3
Lead Lap

I was saying that i already had v4.2 so that was what i was working with. You could have tried your v5.1 disc with the v7.1 by copying all files from your v7.1 over your v5.1 EXCEPT for the 4 files mentioned (05.CMP, INDEXDAT.KWI, Loading.KWI, IDX folder). I did not want anyone to go backwards because I did not try it like that. I was trying to get people who had already had the override feature still working on their navi to try that method to get the updated info without losing your same functionality. Sorry that you had to waste your last 2 dollar DVD+R DL disc. What about me risking my 2 dollars to figure something out and help everyone else? Some people are just so ungrateful at times. Not referring to anyone here but just in general.
Leaving out the IDX folder reference was just frustrating - you really think myself and many others on here haven't wasted countless disks trying to get the 7.1 Hybrid to work? It's just we've all been trying this for a while. Also, you have to keep in mind others on here may have not ever tried a Hybrid and are just running the factory 6.1 or 7.1 disks, and if they decided to try your method as described, they'd certainly HAVE to pull a fuse to go back to a 4.1 firmware version.
I can see you're not a systems person, as you have to consider all basic possibilities that people are running. Surely you have to admit there are people running a 6.1 / 7.1 virgin OEM disc that may have decided to try your option, which wouldn't have worked at all from your initial post and certainly they'd have to temporarily pull their NAV fuse.

Believe me, I want your disc to work, and I applaud your efforts. Just understand there are people on here who have tried this extensively and gotten frustrated, and I got aggravated when you left out the IDX folder info and for whatever reason you're trying to debate me about pulling a fuse. Can you at least admit that people on 6.1/7.1 will have to pull theirs?
Old 07-07-08, 04:48 AM
killabeez
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sparky3
Leaving out the IDX folder reference was just frustrating - you really think myself and many others on here haven't wasted countless disks trying to get the 7.1 Hybrid to work? It's just we've all been trying this for a while. Also, you have to keep in mind others on here may have not ever tried a Hybrid and are just running the factory 6.1 or 7.1 disks, and if they decided to try your method as described, they'd certainly HAVE to pull a fuse to go back to a 4.1 firmware version.
I can see you're not a systems person, as you have to consider all basic possibilities that people are running. Surely you have to admit there are people running a 6.1 / 7.1 virgin OEM disc that may have decided to try your option, which wouldn't have worked at all from your initial post and certainly they'd have to temporarily pull their NAV fuse.

Believe me, I want your disc to work, and I applaud your efforts. Just understand there are people on here who have tried this extensively and gotten frustrated, and I got aggravated when you left out the IDX folder info and for whatever reason you're trying to debate me about pulling a fuse. Can you at least admit that people on 6.1/7.1 will have to pull theirs?
They might have to and I'm not saying that they won't but I did not test it like that and i only posted what worked for me. I don't even know where my fuse is located and really didnt want to get in there pulling out things that I knew nothing about. I appreciate your concern and we all are family here...LEXUS BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!! Sorry if I offended anyone and we are all cool, no hard feelings! I probably should have thought about those that did not have the override feature but my concern was getting my car to working without F-ing anything up to void my warranty.
Old 07-07-08, 09:47 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Why of course there's no hard feelings, my friend, and we all appreciate your efforts! Please don't take any criticism personally - we all are on the same page here.
Old 07-08-08, 07:30 AM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Killabeez, you 'da man!

( OBTW: Don't listen to us guys riding around in our high $ luxo barges, burning $4 gas, and whining about $2 DVD's )

I did just what you said; made a 4.2/7.1 hybrid: it works perfectly! NO grayed out buttons (I've seen my share of those before); bypass works; map shows as 7.1 on info screen; POI's are fine, can't say for sure if they are the latest, but not important to me personally.

(Question: is bypass supposed to affect Bluetooth dialing at speed? I don't know if that's supposed to be affected, 'cause I did the speed wire clipping mod a long time ago; so I can always dial BT at speed, so can't comment on your disc having a benefit for BT users)

FYI, I made my DVD on a OEM standard Lenovo laptop burner, used Prassi ONES, slowed to 2.4 speed, set to DVD Incremental-Closed, and ISO 9660 + UDF (as always preached by Sonartech when we were trying this (and failing ) months ago). DVD was Memorex DVD+R DL.

Thanks again from a grateful CL lurker.
Illegitimi non Carborundum.
Old 07-08-08, 08:10 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nc356
Killabeez, you 'da man!

( OBTW: Don't listen to us guys riding around in our high $ luxo barges, burning $4 gas, and whining about $2 DVD's )

I did just what you said; made a 4.2/7.1 hybrid: it works perfectly! NO grayed out buttons (I've seen my share of those before); bypass works; map shows as 7.1 on info screen; POI's are fine, can't say for sure if they are the latest, but not important to me personally.

(Question: is bypass supposed to affect Bluetooth dialing at speed? I don't know if that's supposed to be affected, 'cause I did the speed wire clipping mod a long time ago; so I can always dial BT at speed, so can't comment on your disc having a benefit for BT users)

FYI, I made my DVD on a OEM standard Lenovo laptop burner, used Prassi ONES, slowed to 2.4 speed, set to DVD Incremental-Closed, and ISO 9660 + UDF (as always preached by Sonartech when we were trying this (and failing ) months ago). DVD was Memorex DVD+R DL.

Thanks again from a grateful CL lurker.
Illegitimi non Carborundum.
Glad it works for you. BTW, no one was "whining" about wasting discs, I just said I can't try the hybrid again as I wasted my last one from the original post. Geesh.
Old 07-08-08, 06:02 PM
killabeez
Driver School Candidate

Default come on guys lets lay off Sparky3

nc356: I use my bluetooth dialing all the time. I have not had any issues yet but that is the only way that i can use my phone anyway because i dropped it in the pool so speakers dont work on my phone nor the screen. trying to wait till plan expires....lol

Sparky3: Hey man don't worry about it, you are still the coolest fellow on YOUR block. I have no problems with you and you are my favorite penpal..lol. You keep me on edge and is full of drama like my wife...lol. You are OK with me GUY!!

Hey guys/gals lets lay off sparky3 for awhile i think that he meant well...lol

Quick Reply: Lexus Gen 4 V7.1/V4.2 with override WORKING!!