LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

tanabe sustec pro 5 coilover follow up review

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 09:24 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tanabe sustec pro 5 coilover follow up review

it's been about 2 months with these coilovers and its been a wonderful experience.

I've set it about half inch lower since my first height setting and it still feels as good as before.

It's wonderful to have a simple one way coilover ride so well at a height I am pleased with. Some have said it's too stiff but I beg to differ. it's perfect IMO. My former algernon and JIC's I've experienced were stiff and uncomfortable, these tanabe's are perfect.

tanabe states the height range at 2.25 " to 2.75" for optimal driving. IMO it's more like 3" to 3.5". Physically there is about 1" thread left so you can take it down 4" before reaching the maximum threading. It's not recommended and I personally wouldn't do it since they are one way coilovers, but u can if u wanted to.

for the price and performance, these are a steal. Tein CS shouldn't even be considered. two thumbs up

Last edited by mikemareen; 07-09-08 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-09-08, 10:06 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
it's been about 2 months with these coilovers and its been a wonderful experience.

I've set it about half inch lower since my first height setting and it still feels as good as before.

It's wonderful to have a simple one way coilover ride so well at a height I am pleased with. Some have said it's too stiff but I beg to differ. it's perfect IMO. My former algernon and JIC's I've experienced were stiff and uncomfortable, these tanabe's are perfect.

tanabe states the height range at 2.25 " to 2.75" for optimal driving. IMO it's more like 3" to 3.5". Physically there is about 1" thread left so you can take it down 4" before reaching the maximum threading. It's not recommended and I personally wouldn't do it since they are one way coilovers, but u can if u wanted to.

for the price and performance, these are a steal. Tein CS shouldn't even be considered. two thumbs up

Nice review. Why would you not consider the Tein CS. They are not that much more expensive. Please clarify your statement if your basing the difference because of price, comfort, or even both. Thanks.
Old 07-09-08, 10:22 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

it's actually about 350 to 400 dollar difference.

the biggest difference is this: with Tein CS, you will have to set the spring perch to it's LOWEST setting to achieve a desirable drop. In the one way coilover world, it's NOT a good idea to do this. If u look at the Tein specs, it's recommended height range is a mere 1.5" all around. Take it down another 1.5" (totaling 3") and your at the end of the thread. Your riding at the bottom.

with tanabe sustec 5, 3" and your still within the optimal range. Tanabe's spec of 2.5" to 3" is it's optimal reccomendation, NOT the maximum.

Originally Posted by maximussp
Nice review. Why would you not consider the Tein CS. They are not that much more expensive. Please clarify your statement if your basing the difference because of price, comfort, or even both. Thanks.
Old 07-09-08, 10:31 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

I would agree that using a coilover set up at its maximum is not a good idea. Could you help me understand your measurements when you refer to 1.5" all around. What would you say is minimum tread distance left for the Tein CS (1.5" remaining?). I want to fully understand your dimensions. Thanks.

it's actually about 350 to 400 dollar difference.

the biggest difference is this: with Tein CS, you will have to set the spring perch to it's LOWEST setting to achieve a desirable drop. In the one way coilover world, it's NOT a good idea to do this. If u look at the Tein specs, it's recommended height range is a mere 1.5" all around. Take it down another 1.5" (totaling 3") and your at the end of the thread. Your riding at the bottom.

with tanabe sustec 5, 3" and your still within the optimal range. Tanabe's spec of 2.5" to 3" is it's optimal reccomendation, NOT the maximum.
Old 07-09-08, 10:50 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

what do u mean ? my original posting answers this.

3" full down on tein CS and your at the bottom, which means ZERO thread left.

3" down on tanabe and you have 1" thread left.

Originally Posted by maximussp
I would agree that using a coilover set up at its maximum is not a good idea. Could you help me understand your measurements when you refer to 1.5" all around. What would you say is minimum tread distance left for the Tein CS (1.5" remaining?). I want to fully understand your dimensions. Thanks.
Old 07-09-08, 11:06 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

what do u mean ? my original posting answers this.

3" full down on tein CS and your at the bottom, which means ZERO thread left.

3" down on tanabe and you have 1" thread left.

Got it. Thanks.
Old 07-09-08, 02:12 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Mike,
Great write up. I am thinking about getting these also after I slap on my rims. Do you measure with a ruler and mark the area with a sharpie pen to make sure the treads are set at same heights or are there markings on the coilover itself to let you know height adjustment? Just wondering how you get it to be all evenly adjusted.

DanozLS430...

Last edited by DanozLS430; 07-09-08 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-09-08, 03:53 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

for setting the height, I use my fingers (zero finger gap)

for the front, it's zero finger gap, for the rear it's tucking, tucks half the sidewall of a 245 35 20 tire.

as for the threads, I just eyeball it. an inch is pretty each to eyeball when there's plenty of thread left. I don't measure the threads, who measures the thread ?

Originally Posted by DanozLS430
Hey Mike,
Great write up. I am thinking about getting these also after I slap on my rims. Do you measure with a ruler and mark the area with a sharpie pen make sure the treads are set at same heights or are there markings on the coilover itself to let you know height adjustment? Just wondering how you get it to be all evenly adjusted.

DanozLS430...

Last edited by mikemareen; 07-09-08 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 09:03 AM
solo
Lexus Champion

Pictures please..
Old 07-10-08, 09:10 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Last edited by mikemareen; 07-10-08 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-10-08, 10:30 AM
solo
Lexus Champion

i like! very nice.. what kind of wheels are those? size? offset?

thanks!
Old 07-10-08, 10:31 AM
solo
Lexus Champion

so u have the Tanabe.. and is that adjusted all the way down?

thanks!
Old 07-10-08, 11:22 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

not adjusted all the way down, they have about another 1 inch before the bottom of the threading.

the front wheels are 20x9.5 +44 with 3mm spacer, rears are 20x9.5 +29 low disk.

Originally Posted by solo
so u have the Tanabe.. and is that adjusted all the way down?

thanks!
Old 07-10-08, 02:33 PM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

not adjusted all the way down, they have about another 1 inch before the bottom of the threading.

the front wheels are 20x9.5 +44 with 3mm spacer, rears are 20x9.5 +29 low disk.
I like the stance. Looks perfect! Any problems on bottoming out or scraping your front up parking ramps at this height?

DanozLS430...
Old 07-10-08, 02:50 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

I've had absolutely zero problems with bottoming out. I have yet to have my front bumper scrap going up any driveways or ramps. I don't even have to angle it in.

my front tires sometimes rub slightly on the fenders and I've had to shave my rear quarter fenders.

Originally Posted by DanozLS430
I like the stance. Looks perfect! Any problems on bottoming out or scraping your front up parking ramps at this height?

DanozLS430...

Quick Reply: tanabe sustec pro 5 coilover follow up review