LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

annoying persistent dashboard noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-08, 05:41 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default annoying persistent dashboard noise

I had a really annoying noise in my dash, sounding like it was coming from the CD changer cover/storage drawer/sport-norm/height control etc area of the console. It was a creaking or ticking noise like something was loose, but it made the noise on not only on rough road but also on smooth but uneven pavement. I took the dash apart a few times to find out what it was; after a lot of investigation I found the problem. The little plastic piece of the console that holds the three buttons for the height control, sport/norm, and VSC was creaking like an old hinge against the assembly it is attached to. It is attached with two screws to the assembly with the CD changer cover and key drawer. I little flex in this assembly and it would make that damn noise. I used some little cupboard door cushions to isolate the button console piece and now the noise is gone. Sounds so much better!
Old 07-21-08, 09:18 PM
BK LS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similiar noise in my Ls as you described, But i dont have a ultra. Can it be the same problem? if so, i never took of or apart that area of my car. Is it easy to do> please explain how. Thank you for your help.
Old 08-18-08, 08:07 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
I had a really annoying noise in my dash, sounding like it was coming from the CD changer cover/storage drawer/sport-norm/height control etc area of the console. It was a creaking or ticking noise like something was loose, but it made the noise on not only on rough road but also on smooth but uneven pavement. I took the dash apart a few times to find out what it was; after a lot of investigation I found the problem. The little plastic piece of the console that holds the three buttons for the height control, sport/norm, and VSC was creaking like an old hinge against the assembly it is attached to. It is attached with two screws to the assembly with the CD changer cover and key drawer. I little flex in this assembly and it would make that damn noise. I used some little cupboard door cushions to isolate the button console piece and now the noise is gone. Sounds so much better!

Well what I thought was causing the noise turned out to be something else. Sure it went away after a put the dash back together but it soon came back. I think I've finally got it fixed. I took eveything out including the nav. The air vent assembly is attached to the surround piece around the navigation unit, and I could tell it was the cause of my dash rattle by playing with it. The attachment points just weren't secure enough. I put some bulb grease on the attachment points and now it is all good, there are no more rattles in the dash. I still have a little one under the shifter console comewhere but that one will be done some other time.