LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

I think I picked out my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08 | 12:48 PM
LSorBS
Driver

Default I think I picked out my wheels

20" Maya DLS in Chrome. What do you guys think? You think it'll look good on a Flint LS430?

image here
Old 07-28-08 | 01:12 PM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Very nice. I like them.
Old 07-28-08 | 02:24 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I love them! Be sure pick some nice offsets,
Old 07-28-08 | 03:05 PM
LSorBS
Driver

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I was thinking like 245/275, what do you think?
Old 07-28-08 | 03:26 PM
airtime
Racer
CL Folding 1M

This is from several years ago to give you a price point. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=maya+dls
Old 07-28-08 | 04:08 PM
LSorBS
Driver

Originally Posted by airtime
This is from several years ago to give you a price point. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=maya+dls
Thanks, that's about what I wanted to spend. Same guy says he can do the dx2's for 2900 shipped? What do you guys think of the Maya dx2's?
Old 07-28-08 | 09:27 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

I think its a good looking wheel, just not for the LS. The wheel is very "edgy" and would look great on an "edgy" car like a Lambo Galllardo or a Caddy CTS. I'm sure you saw lots of photos online of the wheel on many cars and it looked good, but probably they were cars with an edgier design, different than the smooth, softer and more conservative LS. The sides of the LS are very smooth and broad with no sharp beltlines or angles, therefore I think wheels with broader, rounder surfaces and lines and a bigger-looking face look better on the LS. The DLS lacks a lot of curves and has somewhat sharp edges; its minimal 5 spokes are relatively thin and straight and lack the broad surface area of the sides of the car, so the wheel area tends to look "empty". All the rivets tend to look busy, another feature that seems to clash with the uncluttered and clean body of the LS.

Just my personal opinion, of course once they're on the car they could look drastically different. Funny thing is that the wheels on my car have fairly straight spokes (although theres ten of them, not five, which gives the wheel a lot more outward surface area) and I think they look great on the car. On the other hand, the wheel does offer a stark contrast to the style of the car, and if that's the look you're going for I think it will be accomplished. Its defintely aggressive!

Last edited by ancdmd; 07-28-08 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-28-08 | 09:49 PM
Alexis-LS
Driver

Originally Posted by LSorBS
I was thinking like 245/275, what do you think?
Those are tire width, not offset
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101
Old 07-28-08 | 10:37 PM
LSorBS
Driver

Originally Posted by ancdmd
I think its a good looking wheel, just not for the LS. The wheel is very "edgy" and would look great on an "edgy" car like a Lambo Galllardo or a Caddy CTS. I'm sure you saw lots of photos online of the wheel on many cars and it looked good, but probably they were cars with an edgier design, different than the smooth, softer and more conservative LS. The sides of the LS are very smooth and broad with no sharp beltlines or angles, therefore I think wheels with broader, rounder surfaces and lines and a bigger-looking face look better on the LS. The DLS lacks a lot of curves and has somewhat sharp edges; its minimal 5 spokes are relatively thin and straight and lack the broad surface area of the sides of the car, so the wheel area tends to look "empty". All the rivets tend to look busy, another feature that seems to clash with the uncluttered and clean body of the LS.

Just my personal opinion, of course once they're on the car they could look drastically different. Funny thing is that the wheels on my car have fairly straight spokes (although theres ten of them, not five, which gives the wheel a lot more outward surface area) and I think they look great on the car. On the other hand, the wheel does offer a stark contrast to the style of the car, and if that's the look you're going for I think it will be accomplished. Its defintely aggressive!
I share your concerns, and that is why I started this thread. What do you think about the dx2's?

here
Old 07-29-08 | 03:58 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

No matter what you do, be sure to not get offset advice from blacksc400, he is crazy on offset
Old 07-29-08 | 04:35 PM
Indy Dave
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have any ideas on having the stock 16" wheels chromed? I live in Indianapolis, have a pristine 2001 LS-430 with the rather dull stock alloy wheels.

Any thoughts as to cost etc are appreciated.

Indy Dave
Old 07-29-08 | 06:55 PM
ChocosLS430
Intermediate

Those 20" Maya's looks great. You can also show off your big brakes in a different color. Maybe paint them red or yellow and add a decal. Make sure they clear you brakes without any spacers and offsets that will get you in your comfortable range of closeness to your fenders. Unless you are willing to roll, shave or pull. Not my style, but it looks very nice.

DanozLS430...
Old 07-29-08 | 09:06 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LSorBS
I share your concerns, and that is why I started this thread. What do you think about the dx2's?

here
I can't make up my mind about hte dx2's. I like the larger face, but the rivets still look busy. Something about the wheel is seeming a little ghetto to me. Maybe its the chrome, I'm starting to feel that ANY wheel in chrome is outdated. Its probably due to the fact that I live in the ghetto myself and see nothing but donks on crappy chrome wheels. God I can't wait to move! hahaha Between the two though, tough choice, I'd have to see them on the car.
Old 07-29-08 | 09:31 PM
mikepae
Pole Position

they look nice in the picture of just the wheel by itself, but i dont like how the curvature of the spokes looks in profile. btw.. here is my all time fav 5 spoke 3 piece wheels:
Old 07-29-08 | 11:10 PM
LSorBS
Driver

C'mon guys!!! I need a non-ghetto wheel out the door with wheels and tires for under 5. Its either no longer made, or kmart-chic. Suggestions?!?

Quick Reply: I think I picked out my wheels