LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Black Interiors harder to maintain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 06:10 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black Interiors harder to maintain?

I'm searching for my LS430 right now, and I'm looking for an 04/05, but prefer 05. My criteria for the car are:

1. Color: Silver or Flint Mica
2. Interior leather in EXCELLENT shape (this is huge for me)
3. Some minor exterior cosmetic defects ok (rock chips, etc.)
4. NO nav (want to do full audio build)

This car seems impossible to find! And the limit factor seems to be #2 here. Most of the cars I see that have black interiors tend to show their age much more (especially in the driver's seat).

Are black interiors just harder to keep? Do they age faster? What are your experiences?

I'm finding some great cars that match most of that criteria, but don't have the black interior.

Should I give up on black?
Old 07-28-08, 07:21 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

especially in the passenger seat ? where do you get these conclusions from ? silver on black is also the most common color combo for ls430.

black is black, it shouldn't be no harder or get any dirtier than any other color, unless of course if your a complete slob, in which case any color will not help you.

Originally Posted by Suneet
I'm searching for my LS430 right now, and I'm looking for an 04/05, but prefer 05. My criteria for the car are:

1. Color: Silver or Flint Mica
3. Some minor exterior cosmetic defects ok (rock chips, etc.)
4. NO nav (want to do full audio build)

This car seems impossible to find! And the limit factor seems to be #2 here. Most of the cars I see that have black interiors tend to show their age much more (especially in the driver's seat).

Are black interiors just harder to keep? Do they age faster? What are your experiences?

I'm finding some great cars that match most of that criteria, but don't have the black interior.

Should I give up on black?
Old 07-28-08, 08:51 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think blk is easier to clean than tan or ecru
Old 07-28-08, 09:00 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just to give you an idea, I picked up an 04 silver with black interior with 18,000 miles in flawless conditino. All the records. Spotless interior of 24k. Hope it helps. Seats looked brand new.
Old 07-28-08, 09:12 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you've been looking at online photos only, you may be thrown off because, in my opinion, black interiors look horribly filthy in photos, especially if the photo is taken with a flash. I think black interiors seem to hold up the best because they don't show dirt as much as lighter colors. I see silver/black combos all the time.
Old 07-28-08, 10:46 PM
Carmelstev
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, after looking at approximately 20 LS's, I think the black interiors held up better than other colors, especially the gray. I ended up with a silver with black interior 05 with 41K and an interior that was in virtually new condition. The leather in particular looked brand new.

Steve
Old 07-29-08, 06:04 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes black is alot easier to maintain, can't really see the flaws!
Old 07-29-08, 07:19 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know, but you might need to look in other states. In my experience (35 years of buying used cars) these are the easiest cars EVER to find in perfect condition. Look in some of the retirement areas like FL, and perhaps AZ. Lots of older people bought them, didn't have much of anywhere to go (miles stay low), live in a nice place and have no shortage of funds (do all the mtce. and keep them clean and in a garage), no kids (no interior damage or food or other stains), etc. Practically every LS I've seen here in FL has been in good condition, and many if not most in amazing good condition.

Re: black interior, I think I agree that it seems to show the wear a little more on the LS for some reason. It seems strange, but somehow based upon the black interiors I've seen, it seems to be the case. NOW, I don't know how they'd respond to a good leather cleaning and conditioning.... maybe that'd help a lot, but it seems that the fine, small, natural wrinkles on LS black leather tend to show up more, which is contrary to what I've seen with most vehicle interiors. <shrug>