LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

black interiors hottest?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08 | 11:39 PM
David M
Driver

Default black interiors hottest?

My wife has had a black car for over 10 years and even though her interior is cloth (which we both prefer,) she refuses to get a black LS because she says they are the hottest in the summer, by far. I mentioned that the LS seats have airconditioned air blowing *through* them but she refuses to budge. Is she right? It is severely limiting us finding a car to buy because 99.99 and 44/100ths of the LS's on the market have black interiors. It's been 5 months of searching already.
Old 07-28-08 | 11:46 PM
pete896
Rookie

sorry, happy wife happy home!
Old 07-28-08 | 11:49 PM
lexuscrazy
Rookie

Originally Posted by pete896
sorry, happy wife happy home!
I second that lol. But tinting windows really helps!
Old 07-29-08 | 04:55 AM
Tee

If mama is not happy, no one in the house will be happy! You might want to check outside of your state, b/c when i was looking blk was hard to find. Ash, almost white color and tan was all i kept finding here in GA. The dealer told me FL has the most blk interiors then any other market, due to the people taking them back up north for the winter.
Old 07-29-08 | 07:11 AM
CG lover
Pole Position

sure not that much air blowing through those seats to cool off black leather on a really heated day,, their air cooled seats are a joke when it comes to really cooling,, I have had many a sweaty lower back driving my 05 Ultra,, the seats need a lot more umph in blower power as well as direct ducting from the air unit,,

as the other say, I would agree and let her make the selection and do not try and sell her on the seat cooling,, you will be disapointed,,

Derry
Old 07-29-08 | 07:23 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by David M
....It is severely limiting us finding a car to buy because 99.99 and 44/100ths of the LS's on the market have black interiors. It's been 5 months of searching already.
VERY strange. Seems that I almost NEVER see a black interior here in north Florida. I'll bet there's no more than 1 out of 10 black, if that many. Maybe you should shop down here. Call JP at Lexus of Jacksonville and tell him that Steve with the black Supra and GX470 sent you. He is a very honest sales person and will take care of you if they have what you're looking for.
Old 07-29-08 | 10:49 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

My 04 has a black interior, and it's hot at hell during the summer. The cooled seats are a joke - you won't get much out of them unless you've been in the car for quite some time.
Old 07-29-08 | 10:59 AM
lexuscrazy
Rookie

Originally Posted by CG lover
sure not that much air blowing through those seats to cool off black leather on a really heated day,, their air cooled seats are a joke when it comes to really cooling,, I have had many a sweaty lower back driving my 05 Ultra,, the seats need a lot more umph in blower power as well as direct ducting from the air unit,,

as the other say, I would agree and let her make the selection and do not try and sell her on the seat cooling,, you will be disapointed,,

Derry
Did you try changing the filters under the seats? I heard that helps alot.
Old 07-29-08 | 11:00 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Do you guys mentioning the hot (temperature) black interiors have tinted windows? I have light interior in my LS and black in my Audi A3. Both have tinted windows. The A3 is hotter, but not THAT much hotter. Tint *seems* to make a big difference in how hot the vehicle gets when sitting in the sun. I've never done a temperature measurement so it might be mostly in my head, but it sure seems to help quite a lot -- and this is also based on before-and-after tint impressions on the same vehicle.
Old 07-29-08 | 05:23 PM
airtime
Racer
CL Folding 1M

This is from the July 6th, 2008 of Ask Marilyn from the Parade Magazine in you Sundays newspaper.

Is it true that black cars get hotter in sunlight than light-colored cars?
—Howard Schulze, Temple, Tex.

The interior of a car with a black body may get a little hotter a little faster, but not enough to make a practical difference when selecting a color. The same goes for the interior color. To make a real difference, get tinted windows if they’re legal in your area. Marilyn.

So it seems that tint is the difference.
Old 07-29-08 | 06:48 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

Exactly it gets a little hotter but not that much difference. If you get really dark tint in the back it will be alot cooler but some tint shops offer that metallic but really does not use it
Old 07-29-08 | 08:32 PM
David M
Driver

Jemmy, what "metallic" are you talking about? Metallic films that are used for tinting? What do you mean "they don't use it?" I guess I'm confused.
Old 07-29-08 | 09:13 PM
airtime
Racer
CL Folding 1M

There are metallic coated tint which suppose to reflect more sunlight. However, some interferes with your cell phone reception. The new ones are ceramic coated, but they cost about 25%-30% more. ie Huper Optik is one of them.
Old 07-30-08 | 03:11 AM
ChocosLS430
Intermediate

The black color attracts the most heat weather it be seats or T-Shirts. White or light color will repel heat the best and be a lot cooler. Try wearing a solid white t-shirt in the sun and stand there for 5 minutes and switch to a solid black t-shirt for 5 minutes soon after. You'll see that that by wearing the black t-shirt you'll feel the heat more than 2X greater. Your wife is correct! Tinting your windows would be the best to keep out the heat if your interior is black. A cool wife will give you less heat.

DanozLS430...
Old 07-30-08 | 06:10 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

It says in the owner's manual to not put metallic tint on the car.

Quick Reply: black interiors hottest?