LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

ls 430 vs acura?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-09, 12:39 PM
debian
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that a new Q is in the making by Infiniti.

Also I agree with the above statements from a tall persons perspective...as I am 6ft 2" Acuras are not big enough for me.
Cars for tall people are Long wheel base Jaguars, Mercedes E and S class, Lexus LS, Infiniti Q45, Hyundai Genesis, Ford 500, Lincoln Town car.
cheers,
Ian
Old 07-20-09, 05:38 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Human Torch

Originally Posted by LSin75075
i just sold my 02 Acura RL so I could buy an 01 LS430 UL. I also own a 2000 RX300. My acura (with 160,000 miles) never had a single problem or required any part replacement (other than a battery, one head light bulb and one tail light bulb). It never made and squeaks, rattles, etc.. it was a PERFECT car. My LS has more luxury features and more power, I do like the LS better... but I honestly think the RL is a better car than the LS in terms of quality, etc. (go ahead and flame me) my Acura never had a failing amp (like my LS430 had a bad ML amp), my acura never had any mirror problems (like my LS did)...
Like the Human Torch from Fantastic-4 would say "FLAME ON !!!"

Okay, are you serious or are you crazy ??!?!? ha ha, just kidding. This is your opinion/experience and honestly, it really might be the case that Acura are more reliable. Acura/Honda are very reliable, atleast from my experience. My Honda Civic '95, not one single defect problem that needed resolution. Just pure maintenance up to 220K. Integra, radio just went at 215K, clutch was not replaced until 180K. Pure and easy.

For me '99RX and '04LS, I have not had any issues either, so for me, it's even thus far, but reading this forum, it seems the LS with all it's goodies is prone to some problems.
Old 07-20-09, 05:40 PM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I traded in my 02 RL with 23000 miles on it for a 05 LS. There is no comparison in the two cars. Don't get me wrong, the RL is a good car but, the LS is a great car.
Old 07-20-09, 07:23 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Against what?

Originally Posted by daddykay24
I traded in my 02 RL with 23000 miles on it for a 05 LS. There is no comparison in the two cars. Don't get me wrong, the RL is a good car but, the LS is a great car.
Don't be offended, but the '02 (previous gen. RL) was a turd of an automobile. Super bland and interior of crub. The current gen RL might be able to compete with the LS430, but forget '02.

If we even compare '09 RL to '09 LS, it's even worse comparison...
Old 07-20-09, 07:29 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

I don't think anyone here will flame you for what you are saying but I think we all have different experiences with our cars. For example, I had a 2002 Acura TL that I leased because it was made by Honda, was supposed to get good mileage and be reliable. Well, it turned out to be the exact opposite of what I expected and was twice recalled by the manufacturer. In addition, the transmission was replaced! While the Acura folks were certainly nice to deal with and were sympathetic to my needs, the car itself was much less than satisfactory and developed more and more nagging problems up to the happy day when I finally turned it in.
Never having owned a Toyota much less a Lexus and having done my research, I decided to bite the bullet and buy a used '02 LS and I can tell you that it is the best car I've ever owned... so impressed that I went out and got my wife the '05 that you see in my signature.
So this is a long way of simply saying that folks have different experiences with similar cars and while yours has been good with Acura, others may not be.
Old 07-20-09, 08:33 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like the RL, it's really cheap right now, great value IMO. However, LS is definitely in different league.
Old 07-21-09, 06:08 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

This thread reminds me of a

There is no vs between the two cars end of story. My sister in law has an 07 and when she let me take it for a ride I had a severe case of claustrophobic creep up on me, the cabin is too small for someone over 6ft. It ride was stiffer and I could hear the engine more than I would liked. However the layout of the controls and nav were nice but looked like a Honda. Overseas the Acura RL is a Honda Legend, Acura to me has not separated itself from Honda in their designs, when I see a Acura I see a Honda. When you look at Lexus or Infiniti they do not look like Toyota and Nissan (IMO) they have separated the looks enough that say it is a step up.

Old 07-21-09, 10:40 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default The same car

Originally Posted by Tee
There is no vs between the two cars end of story....

Overseas the Acura RL is a Honda Legend, Acura to me has not separated itself from Honda in their designs, when I see a Acura I see a Honda. When you look at Lexus or Infiniti they do not look like Toyota and Nissan (IMO) they have separated the looks enough that say it is a step up.

What is the point of the two pictures? You already said oversees the RL is the Legend (Acura should have kept the Legend name here), so of course the two will look the same.

Same can be said about the LS430 and Celsior (before Toyota release Lexus domestically), they're the same car.

I do agree with you that Lexus and Infiniti do a better job of differentiating themselves from their parent company vehicles. Of these two, Infiniti does a better job I think.
Old 07-21-09, 11:00 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
What is the point of the two pictures? You already said oversees the RL is the Legend (Acura should have kept the Legend name here), so of course the two will look the same.

Same can be said about the LS430 and Celsior (before Toyota release Lexus domestically), they're the same car.
Touche Alex.

I liked the Legend name over the RL too but I know why they changed it.
Old 07-21-09, 01:36 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Acura was a GREAT car

Don't be offended, but the '02 (previous gen. RL) was a turd of an automobile. Super bland and interior of crub. The current gen RL might be able to compete with the LS430, but forget '02.
Wow. Are you nuts? I am slightly offended with that one! Let's not forget what we're talking about with the 2000-2004 generation of the RL's! If you think the styling is bland, it just doesn't automatically make it a bad car, does it?

I still have my 02 RL, and yes, it doesn't compare to the CURRENT LS, but to criticize it for "super bland and interior of crub"? That isn't fair. And to think--all of the car mags and critics DID compare the 02 RL to the 02 LS!!! It's either an insult to those Lexus owners, because the Acura is so "cheap", or a total compliment to Acura to be compared to a Lexus which cost $15k MORE. http://www.automotive.com/2002/09/acura/rl/index.html

We could debate whether or not the styling is attractive or not..(don't forget that bodystyle was redesigned 1999, but talk about bang for the buck, and talk about reliability, and talk about having all the bells and whistles as STANDARD options for the $ and it was/is a GREAT car. We're all a little spoiled being owners of LS's, but let's not bash the RL because of it's styling. I could post links to dozens of rave reviews from all the auto magazines, etc.

For it's time, the RL was an INCREDIBLE car. The car came LOADED, as the only options were color and nav!! The sticker was slightly over $40k while the LS was almost $60k???? Hmm...

If we want to compare the current RL to a Lexus, you can find a comparison done in 2005 here. And hold on to your britches, but the RL finished AHEAD of the GS430. LOLOL!!!! They reviewers said the ONLY thing preventing the RL from taking 1st place was it's smaller size, lack of v8, and lack of rwd. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

btw...did i tell you i can operate the nav on my RL while it's in motion?

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 07-21-09 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 01:51 PM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If we even compare '09 RL to '09 LS, it's even worse comparison...
Offended? Why? I don't feel the 02 Rl or the current generation can compete but thats my opinion. Did you read the post correctly?
Old 07-21-09, 01:53 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Correct me if i am wrong, but the RL (before 2009) had FAKE wood. On the 2009 model, REAL wood only comes on the top optional package.

I would take LS430 over any RL anyday of the week. (BTW, i have an '09 Acura TSX...so, i have nothing against Acura itself. And TSX is made in Japan.) The RL (exception being 2009 model) looks like a suppository! I like the '09 re-styling...looks more square (rear end is ala BMW 7 series).

As for '09 TSX vs. older ES, remember that the TSX is a 4-banger...can't substitute displacement and cylinder count. But, i can assure you that the TSX is far safer for the family in a crash. Fuel economy in my TSX has been excellent...27 mpg in mixed driving and as high as 30-32 mpg on the highway.

Sorry for going off-topic, but yeah, i would take LS over RL.
Old 07-21-09, 02:12 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Correct me if i am wrong, but the RL (before 2009) had FAKE wood. On the 2009 model, REAL wood only comes on the top optional package.
The 02 RL had real Burled Camphor wood trim, but the gearshift **** was "simulated wood grain"..lol

I have the actual dealership sales brochure from 2002.
Old 07-21-09, 03:17 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I was going to say something regarding the LS vs. RL debate, but the more I think about it and read all of you guy's posts, there is really nothing to debate about, they are apple to orange, V6 vs. V8, different size, different drive wheels, different luxury level, different price point. Really the only thing they have in common are they both made in Japan by a Japanese company, or they both got 4 wheels and a windshield.

Is like comparing a V8 Lexus LS to a W12 Bentley, there is nothing to compare about.

Last edited by BNR34; 07-21-09 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 04:29 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Amen!!!!!!

Quick Reply: ls 430 vs acura?