LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

ls 430 vs acura?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 10:40 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

1sicklex,

You don't know jack, man...we've known each other for a long time. You "do" know cars yet you fail to realize the SIGNIFICANT differences between a RL and an Accord. You need to learn to appreciate the different stuff out there instead of just hanging onto the Lexus bandwagon! Lexus ain't what it used to be anymore...so, you may want to take some extra Xanax....

Features?? Where does the Accord beat/match RL??????

You say that the BOSE system in the RL is "okay at best." Yet, as described by many here, the RL BOSE is actually as good or better than the ML system in the LS430. So, how is that "okay at best"??? Although i will be the first to criticize the RL BOSE, it is still better than at least half of lexus sound systems, including ML systems in some of the Lexus.

Acceleration? Well, are we talking about dry land or wet roads?? Is acceleration the ONLY thing that you look at?? Since you're a "car guy", then i am sure that you realize that there are other things besides straight line performance, right? And this is where the RL will smoke the Accord, ES, and even the GS!!

Lets face it, Lexus AWD system are NOT known for their traction, much less handling! Of course, you wouldn't know much about handling since you're a big Lexus fanboy! You make it sound like the AWD on the Acura is just an "awd" when you know it (at least, i hope so) that it is quite a feat of engineering that everyone now is copying!

I am far from being an Acura fanboy, but what you wrote is pure 100% trash. Sorry.

As for your "prediction," i think that almost anyone with half a brain could have predicted that in 2004. I did too. It is not a feat of brain power...so, don't soil yourself with thinking that you're a car expert or anything like that....

Last edited by tigmd99; 07-27-09 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-27-09, 11:34 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
TL and RL I'll grant you a pass... but the TSX? Come on, the current TSX is heads and shoulders better over the previous TSX both interior and exterior.

Long story, but one of my friends got a 2007 TSX loner for a week and I had driven it for about three days, what a POS that 'drive by wire' system was. Acceleration lag made that thing drive about as fast and fun as a minivan (without a soccer mom inside of course). The current TSX has resolved the acceleration lag, interior looks more modern, and the exterior (subjective) is much better, aggressive, looking in my opinion. With a V6 coming in MY2010, it should be a very nice addition/option for the TSX. Wish it came with the V6 and SH-AWD instead. Then I think the TSX would give the IS-AWD a good run for it's money.
Yea man, it looks nasty to me, especially compared to the previous gen TSX. The front grill and rear just bother me to death, although it doesnt look as bad as the RL and TL
Old 07-27-09, 11:42 AM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tigmd99
You say that the BOSE system in the RL is "okay at best." Yet, as described by many here, the RL BOSE is actually as good or better than the ML system in the LS430. So, how is that "okay at best"??? Although i will be the first to criticize the RL BOSE, it is still better than at least half of lexus sound systems, including ML systems in some of the Lexus.

Now are you generally comparing Acuras Bose system to Lexus's ML system, or specific years? I consider myself an Audiophile, and I have compared the current ML system in the LS and the Bose in the RL and there is no comparison. I dont know about the previous generation RL though, although I can say I heard the ML in my friends older LS and there is definitely a difference. I have the Bose system in my CL-S and it sucks *** as well. I guess I gotta find an older RL
Old 07-27-09, 12:11 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by maying856
Now are you generally comparing Acuras Bose system to Lexus's ML system, or specific years? I consider myself an Audiophile, and I have compared the current ML system in the LS and the Bose in the RL and there is no comparison. I dont know about the previous generation RL though, although I can say I heard the ML in my friends older LS and there is definitely a difference. I have the Bose system in my CL-S and it sucks *** as well. I guess I gotta find an older RL
No highs, no lows, must be Bose! LOL
Same here, I've had 3 vehicles with Bose systems and heard many others as well as a bunch of their home systems. I've never heard a Bose system of any sort that sounded worth a crap compared to a good system of the type, whether it be home, car, or what. Back in the day maybe some of the old home speakers were decent, but that's about it, IME. Bose did/does a fantastic marketing job, but it's mostly hype backed by little substance, IMO. Bose = blows, generally speaking.
Old 07-27-09, 12:18 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

1sicklex,

You don't know jack, man...we've known each other for a long time. You "do" know cars yet you fail to realize the SIGNIFICANT differences between a RL and an Accord. You need to learn to appreciate the different stuff out there instead of just hanging onto the Lexus bandwagon! Lexus ain't what it used to be anymore...so, you may want to take some extra Xanax....

Acceleration? Well, are we talking about dry land or wet roads?? Is acceleration the ONLY thing that you look at?? Since you're a "car guy", then i am sure that you realize that there are other things besides straight line performance, right? And this is where the RL will smoke the Accord, ES, and even the GS!!

Lets face it, Lexus AWD system are NOT known for their traction, much less handling! Of course, you wouldn't know much about handling since you're a big Lexus fanboy! You make it sound like the AWD on the Acura is just an "awd" when you know it (at least, i hope so) that it is quite a feat of engineering that everyone now is copying!

I am far from being an Acura fanboy, but what you wrote is pure 100% trash. Sorry.

As for your "prediction," i think that almost anyone with half a brain could have predicted that in 2004. I did too. It is not a feat of brain power...so, don't soil yourself with thinking that you're a car expert or anything like that....
Take it easy......... You make good points but I can also see his point as well. He is mainly comparing Honda and Acura, so whether he is a Lexus fanboy or not I dont see how he is gloryfying the Lexus brand over Honda/Acura. I used to drive Hondas/Acuras and was a part of Acurazine, and a lot of people griped about how the next gen Hondas were becoming better and better, and in some ways better than Acuras. Not to mention that Acura hasnt done much to make itself seperate from Honda in a positive way. Which is why many people will say that Acura is just another Honda and that there is nothing special in the Acura name. Furthermore, the Acura brand is falling behind against its competition, right along with its FWD setup, VTEC technology, and no real innovations. Even experts are wondering why Acura is holding on the FWD setup (minus the NSX) which I dont understand either. Now for the VTEC engines, IMO I think that Honda makes some of the best NA motors and they are a blast to drive, but they are not the only ones with that technology, matter of fact they werent even the first ones to invent the variable valve timing and lift control system yet they advertise it even to this day as something revolutionary. And why is it that the NSX is the ONLY V6 that has a DOHC motor while all the others have SOHC. In conclusion imo Acura in its current generation has been a huge let down for me, both in design and function, and like Sicklex said, I would also rather drive an Accord than an RL and save all that money for something else, which may explain why the RL has such slow and terrible sales numbers and is a curse to Acura $50k + Front Engine AWD + SOHC V6 = Lose

Last edited by maying856; 07-27-09 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 12:54 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
No highs, no lows, must be Bose! LOL
Same here, I've had 3 vehicles with Bose systems and heard many others as well as a bunch of their home systems. I've never heard a Bose system of any sort that sounded worth a crap compared to a good system of the type, whether it be home, car, or what. Back in the day maybe some of the old home speakers were decent, but that's about it, IME. Bose did/does a fantastic marketing job, but it's mostly hype backed by little substance, IMO. Bose = blows, generally speaking.
LOL!

Now you are stepping into my first love A/V (Hobby) and HT you are 100% correct on the Bose products, no real audiophile will ever mention the them in shape form or fashion, the best speaker they made was the 801's back in the day.
Old 07-27-09, 01:18 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Let me clarify my BOSE vs. ML statements...i am specifically talking about Acura RL BOSE (2004-2009) vs. ML in the LS430. Yeah, the LS ML may be a tad clearer, but the imaging and staging is far from perfect...at least on the two LS430s that i tested. Yes, as stated earlier, i tried all modes and could not find one that gave me a centered image/stage. The BOSE ain't bad...certainly one of the better ones out there with BOSE nameplate. Centerpoint crap is junk. However, the overall sound is pretty good (when you turn OFF centerpoint). The sound is actually very soothing, like the LS430 system except that the imaging and staging are better.

As for other BOSE products, i totally agree...they are junk, as are their home products. The best car audio systems that i have listened to are:
1. Lexus LS460 ML
2. 2009 Acura TL ELS
3. Toyota Avalon JBL Synthesis
4,5,6, etc...are the rest of the systems including my Sienna's JBL Synthesis, Lexus Ls430, infiniti G-sedan SOW system, and Acura TSX ELS & base systems.

I really want to test the Hyundai Genesis optional surround system (forgot name at this moment), which i have read to be excellent.
Old 07-27-09, 01:24 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by maying856
Take it easy......... You make good points but I can also see his point as well. He is mainly comparing Honda and Acura, so whether he is a Lexus fanboy or not I dont see how he is gloryfying the Lexus brand over Honda/Acura. I used to drive Hondas/Acuras and was a part of Acurazine, and a lot of people griped about how the next gen Hondas were becoming better and better, and in some ways better than Acuras. Not to mention that Acura hasnt done much to make itself seperate from Honda in a positive way. Which is why many people will say that Acura is just another Honda and that there is nothing special in the Acura name. Furthermore, the Acura brand is falling behind against its competition, right along with its FWD setup, VTEC technology, and no real innovations. Even experts are wondering why Acura is holding on the FWD setup (minus the NSX) which I dont understand either. Now for the VTEC engines, IMO I think that Honda makes some of the best NA motors and they are a blast to drive, but they are not the only ones with that technology, matter of fact they werent even the first ones to invent the variable valve timing and lift control system yet they advertise it even to this day as something revolutionary. And why is it that the NSX is the ONLY V6 that has a DOHC motor while all the others have SOHC. In conclusion imo Acura in its current generation has been a huge let down for me, both in design and function, and like Sicklex said, I would also rather drive an Accord than an RL and save all that money for something else, which may explain why the RL has such slow and terrible sales numbers and is a curse to Acura $50k + Front Engine AWD + SOHC V6 = Lose
Oh, i agree with you...Acura RL is a losing proposition. HOWEVER, it is not a bad car, nor is it a bad buy if you can haggle the prices down. I see people on Acurazine getting the RL for $40-42k out the door, which is a pretty good buy IMHO. Hmmm, ES350 vs. RL for same price? I will take RL in a heartbeat! Or RL vs. GS350 AWD that is $5-10k more? RL in a heartbeat!

Would i rather buy an Accord over RL if i had extra car funds? Hell no. No matter how much money you pour into an Accord, you will never make it as good as an RL. Yeah, you can pimp it out or make it faster, but the luxury and safety quotient are unapproachable.

This is why i find 1SICKLEX statements to be funny...here is a guy who claims to be the end all to car discussions making these wild uneducated claims!
Old 07-27-09, 01:47 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, i agree with you...Acura RL is a losing proposition. HOWEVER, it is not a bad car, nor is it a bad buy if you can haggle the prices down. I see people on Acurazine getting the RL for $40-42k out the door, which is a pretty good buy IMHO. Hmmm, ES350 vs. RL for same price? I will take RL in a heartbeat! Or RL vs. GS350 AWD that is $5-10k more? RL in a heartbeat!

Would i rather buy an Accord over RL if i had extra car funds? Hell no. No matter how much money you pour into an Accord, you will never make it as good as an RL. Yeah, you can pimp it out or make it faster, but the luxury and safety quotient are unapproachable.

This is why i find 1SICKLEX statements to be funny...here is a guy who claims to be the end all to car discussions making these wild uneducated claims!

I would have definitely taken the previous gen RL over the ES, maybe the 2nd gen GS, although in the VIP world I could do so much with the GS But stock for stock, yes. The current RL though Its just too ugly for me
Old 07-27-09, 02:28 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Boreing!! All this pitter/patter has very little to do with the LS430, which is what this forum is supposed to be about. Just my perception.
Old 07-27-09, 02:30 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, did we ever get this thread excited!

The truth of the matter is this... we all have pride in our cars (mostly Lexus owners here). I think you guys who own a LS430 would find that the RL is not only as quiet and comfortable as the LS430, but also more "sporty". For those that like the straight-line acceleration of the V8-powered LS, and the smooth, often leisurely drive found in the LS, this isn't a good comparison. However, those drivers that want to feel more engaged (very subjective, mind you) the RL might show some appeal. Test drive one, take one home for the night. I think you guys might open up your eyes to alternative choices in the market

And, the reference about Lexus learning from their mistakes... From what I understand, the Initial Quality rates for the Lexus brand has gone up and down. Porsche was ahead one year (i think). The latest GS has been ranked lower by Consumer Reports. And, every Lexus with ML, reports show they have audio problems. So, don't think ML is a good system. I may sound great at concert halls and home theaters, but it's no place for mobile audio.
Old 07-27-09, 09:08 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In 2008 Honda Accord adopted the 2005 Acura RL platform. This is no fault to the RL. Only recently did the Accord and TL catch-up to the RL in size. As far as Quality, Style, Performance and Prestige goes, RL is heads and shoulders above the New Accord, just like GS is heads and shoulders over the Camry.
Old 07-28-09, 03:52 AM
LexFather

1sicklex,

You are warned for making personal attacks.
I didn't Attack you and say your an idiot or fanboy for your fanboish comments. I merely presented my case and backed up my side.

My claims are far from wild or uneducated, you have not disproved them you just disagree with them.

Its amazing you really have no strong arguement and you are not attacking me and now bashing Lexus yet you are NOT a fanboi? Makes no sense.

If you want to continue, please do so in a mature manner that doesn't involve breaking rules.

Again if you respond without getting your heart racing I didn't say the Rl was not superior to the Accord. I said new its not worth the money over the Accord TO ME. It doesn't present a strong enough case and this has been a huge problem for them every year. I said I would take a used 30k RL over a new 30k Accord.

LS 430> RL in this case and its not even close to me.
Old 07-28-09, 03:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well in all fairness, the RL is very good, but 1SICK is correct in his claims that it is still essentially a fancy Accord. It is true indeed that Honda/Acura never developed this car as a whole separate platform, like Lexus did with LS or even the GS and IS. It is still heavily based on Accord, improved through out, but no matter it still resembles the Accord.

And if you want a true flagship, that just does not cut it. When you start with a midsize platform, with average structural rigidity, weight distribution, and chassis designed for FWD, you end up.... with exactly that. No matter how hard they tried, it still doesn't ride like the LS or the S class.

And then its engine, and 5 speed transmission - these simply do not cut it. The engine is antiquated design, its neither smooth, not that great at high end, not high revving, and has no down low torque whatsoever. This car was basically outdated when it came out in 2005. It was barely able to compete back then with its already outdated drivetrain, and compared to the new cars its light years behind.

P.S.

In fact, I've said I'd take the RL over the GS. And that is only for two reasons - the RL's AWD system is superb, but the biggest reason is that GS's interior is junk in comparison. Other than that, the GS is a superior car.

Last edited by Och; 07-28-09 at 03:55 AM.
Old 07-28-09, 06:38 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Guys please keep this conversation on the vehicles / features and not on the people posting in the thread.

Quick Reply: ls 430 vs acura?