LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Extended warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-08 | 12:38 PM
kbinfl
Driver

Lightbulb I'm with mtaalib3

I've been considering whether or not to get the extended warranty on my LS460, but am now leaning to self-insuring as suggested above. I came to the LS430 boards to see what kind of repair issues other members are having for models going back 7-8 years, and I'm not finding too many major repairs being reported here. Anyone have a serious repair issue? Remember you're paying big bucks for just an additional 3 years/50K of coverage. I too got burned by Warranty Gold on my '02 T-Bird...luckily I haven't had ANY repair issues, so basically I threw the premium $$ away
Old 08-21-08 | 10:24 AM
Kaiserseal
Driver School Candidate

I have been driving nothing but Acuras Toyotas, and Hondas for ten years. I have always bought the warranty, and it has never paid for itself. Now, I sit in my 06 lexus with lasers, Nav, folding mirrors, wireless keys, blue tooth, and a host of other things that if they break, I will probably have to go to the dealer. Two grand for the warranty breaks down to less than a buck and a half a day. Bite the bullet...
Old 08-21-08 | 11:54 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

All this talk of warranty, or self-insurance, is all good talk, but it comes down to it's all about "insurance" from hopefully nothing. If we're perfectly healthy and live healthy lives, why do we take out medical insurance? I could see that as wasting $1000/year on nothing because I don't use it. BUT, WHAT IF you get hit by a car, or cancer forms unbeknownst, to you? Then what do you do without insurance? The warranty is "peace of mind" that IF, IF, IF something should break, you're covered from the potential expensive repairs. It's gambling, you're paying actually hoping that nothing goes wrong. Would I pay extra $2000 for insurance and if nothing goes wrong be happy? Yeah, because if something had gone wrong, I could have forked over much more.

I do believe that in the 100K lifetime of the LS, you will probably NOT see a $2000 repair of a defective item... but you never know... you never know...
Old 08-24-08 | 07:38 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

I'm with you 100%!!!!!

Originally Posted by mtaalib3
Wow. Has anyone here considered self-insurance? We don't drive BMWs or Mercedes. We drive Lexus and the LS to boot. When I brought my 98 with 3 years/100k mile warranty I paid an extra $2200. Back then I thought I was getting a deal. Until my warranty expired and the only claim I had was a $180 dollar tie rod end replacement. I think the whole thing would have cost me $400+ if I had to pay it outta pocket. Long story short, my warranty ended long before I ever had any problems with my LS. I have since sold it to a coworker with 135k miles and it is still going strong with no problems. So I ask all of you, why not open a mutual fund or cd for your hard earned $2k+ for warranty (or give it to me and I'll cover you for 100k miles) and earn some interest on your money. It is highly unlikely that you will ever use your warranty and if you do I am willing to bet dollars to doughnuts you won't have a repair bill anywhere near your warranty premium.
Currently I have a 06 LS CL and a 03 GS430. The LS is still under factory and the GS is not. Any problems with the GS and I will pay for it outta pocket. So far at 81k miles I only had a wind noise issue (after the factory warranty expired) which cost me all of $180 to fix at my local dealership. Now I know some of you Ultra owners with your active suspension are concerned. However, the struts are approximately $1k each and install may add an additional 3 or 4 hundred dollars. So you would have to have 3 out of 4 struts fail before you surpassed your warranty premium. What are the chances of that happening? Even if it did, the mileage your vehicle would be at when that happened would probably be prohibitive in itself for warranty coverage. So I ask all CL members, would you consider self-insurance? Some of the best things about self-insurance is: 1) no vehicle mileage or age limit, 2) it is automatically transferred to your new vehicle (regardless of make or model), 3) no limit on how many vehicles that can be covered, 4) no paperwork, 5) no need to get pre-authorization for any claims, 6) you earn interest on your premiums. These benefits are just to name a few. Think about it!!!!!
Old 08-25-08 | 10:25 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Front Armrest broke - $750 bucs so far.

So what happens when the front two front or rear struts go out? how about rear massage or AC/heated seats?

What will you do with the LASER cruise when it goes out? (its $6K from the dealer)

I think i made a good investment purchasing the platinum Lexus warranty to 100K. The Ultra has too many bells and whistles to worry about. You can always get your money back for the unused portion of the premium if you sell before the warranty runs out.
Ok, so your armrest broke? Anything else? At what mileage did it break? We all know that if it was under 4 years or 50k miles it will automatically be covered. Even if it wasn't, the interest you would have earned from the cd you purchased (instead of the extended warranty) could have been used to pay for the repair.
Anyone here with under 100k miles that has had more than $2500 in repairs on their LS????? I'm sure there is the small few who has had problems with their car more frequently than the rest of us. For those maybe buying an extended warranty makes sense. But for the rest of us, earning interest on our warranty premiums makes more sense to me. Also, what if I decide to sell my car after the warranty runs out (like I did before). I'd have to drop another $2k+ for the extended warranty on my new car wouldn't I?
As far as the other two struts (front and/or rear), laser cruise control, heated seats, etc., they all would be covered until the car has 4 years or 50k miles. It is unlikely, that you will have any problems with any of the previously mentioned systems between the 50k - 100k mile use of the car. You would have to experience failure of all of these systems simutaneously to make it more cost effective to have purchased an extended warranty plan.
You mentioned the laser cruise control is $6k. Is that for a full replacement of a malfunctioning system? I can't imagine what could possibly go wrong that would warrant it's full repalcement but if needed majority of the cost would be absorbed by your investment plus the interest earned.
Assuming that you will continue to buy Lexus vehicles in the future, do the math. Do you still think it is more cost effective to purchase extended warranty plans? If so, then continue to do it.

Last edited by mtaalib3; 08-25-08 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-25-08 | 11:05 PM
mtaalib3
Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
All this talk of warranty, or self-insurance, is all good talk, but it comes down to it's all about "insurance" from hopefully nothing. If we're perfectly healthy and live healthy lives, why do we take out medical insurance? I could see that as wasting $1000/year on nothing because I don't use it. BUT, WHAT IF you get hit by a car, or cancer forms unbeknownst, to you? Then what do you do without insurance? The warranty is "peace of mind" that IF, IF, IF something should break, you're covered from the potential expensive repairs. It's gambling, you're paying actually hoping that nothing goes wrong. Would I pay extra $2000 for insurance and if nothing goes wrong be happy? Yeah, because if something had gone wrong, I could have forked over much more.

I do believe that in the 100K lifetime of the LS, you will probably NOT see a $2000 repair of a defective item... but you never know... you never know...
I don't think comparing health insurance premiums and vehicle warranty premiums is a fair comparison. For one, we are talking about vehicles that historically has had an extremely low repair incident. Second, the cost for many repairs are far less than our warranty premiums. Health insurance premiums are far less than the actual costs that will be charged by the hospital for surgery, medication, room and board, etc. Also, a vehicle has a set repair time rate ie: 1/2 hour for oil change, 4 hours for timing belt replacement, 2 hours for driver side strut replacement, etc. That is why they have a set cost. There is no set time rate for surgery or set amount of needed medication or recovery time. Your doctor can keep you an extra day for observation which would cost you more money. So in this case, having health insurance is more cost effective than self insurance only because of the unpredictable nature of the human body. If we were more like cars then I'm sure our insurance premiums would be far less than what it currently is. Then maybe it would be a fair comparison.