LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help ASAP! How much correction to rear camber?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 02:39 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help ASAP! How much correction to rear camber?

I have 20's on my lowered 2002 LS with air suspension and the insides of my rear tires are extremely worn, showing cords. They only have 15k miles on them. The camber is about 2.5-2.8 degrees negative. I have 20x10s with 40mm offset, 275/30 tires. I want to get the different sized lateral bars to set the rear camber a couple degrees more positive so that I don't wear out my tires so fast. I am assuming I have the standard 446.5mm lateral bars, and that I should get the shorter 441.5mm bars. Does anyone have any experience with changing these out and what results you get? How many degrees of camber correction can I expect? If the new bars make my camber any more positive than zero degrees then I'll live with the premature tire wear. I need to order these bars ASAP because I'm afraid my tires are gonna go flat and I don't wanna put new tires on until I get the new bars on.
Old 08-08-08, 02:44 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my tip is to swap rear tires from one side to the other, that way the outside will be inside w/ good tread, and the inside where the bad tread is will be outside...
Old 08-08-08, 05:04 PM
irmichel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace the rear tires asap. When the cords are coming through the rubber and you keep on driving your playing with your life (and that of others).

my 2 cents
Old 08-08-08, 05:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

make sure the toe is right, bad toe wears through tires MUCH faster than camber.

i run-2.8 on aggressive rears dailly and i get decent mileage out of mine
Old 08-09-08, 08:44 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

The toe on my rears has always been fine, its never needed adjustment every time I've gotten an alignment, so I don't think a bad toe has caused the wear. Maybe its the brand of tire? I have Toyo T1R's, I thought they were supposed to have a longer than average life span.
Old 08-09-08, 12:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
The toe on my rears has always been fine, its never needed adjustment every time I've gotten an alignment, so I don't think a bad toe has caused the wear. Maybe its the brand of tire? I have Toyo T1R's, I thought they were supposed to have a longer than average life span.
The brand of tire have nothing to do with your uneven tire wear problem.

The question is, do you know where your toe is set at? What is fine means? Mean it is within factory spec? Within factory spec can be totally not what you want, factory spec is a REALLY wide range.

From my experience, the more negative camber you got, you need more toe in to even out the tire wear, my slightly lowered UL got -2.0 rear camber, it got -1/8 toe in, the tire wear is perfectly even. Just sharing my setting
Old 08-09-08, 05:03 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

I saw the readout on the alignment machine, the guy said it was perfect, which means dead on for factory spec, since the computer database on the machine was for factory specs. I can't recall what the factory toe spec is, but I rememebr seeing an acceptable range and it was right in the middle. I guess with a -2.5 camber the factory toe would NOT be best then.

Question is, even though you have even tire wear, do you have an idea if you have a normal RATE of tire wear? Maybe if I set my car to those specs with more toe-in then the tires would wear evenly but still wear out in 15k miles?

Personally, from a looks standpoint, I'd like the tire to be a little more upright. I'm not a fan of the big negative camber look. If I can get anywhere between -1.5 and zero camber with new lateral bars then I think I'll go ahead and get them. Thats the problem though, nobody anywhere seems to know how much camber change I'll get with the new bars.
Old 08-10-08, 06:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I saw the readout on the alignment machine, the guy said it was perfect, which means dead on for factory spec, since the computer database on the machine was for factory specs. I can't recall what the factory toe spec is, but I rememebr seeing an acceptable range and it was right in the middle. I guess with a -2.5 camber the factory toe would NOT be best then.
Bingo!

Question is, even though you have even tire wear, do you have an idea if you have a normal RATE of tire wear? Maybe if I set my car to those specs with more toe-in then the tires would wear evenly but still wear out in 15k miles?
The tires I got now have 10k miles on them, from the amount of the current wear, they should last 30k~40k total. Seems normal to me.

Personally, from a looks standpoint, I'd like the tire to be a little more upright. I'm not a fan of the big negative camber look. If I can get anywhere between -1.5 and zero camber with new lateral bars then I think I'll go ahead and get them. Thats the problem though, nobody anywhere seems to know how much camber change I'll get with the new bars.
I don't think anyone got actual data either, you just have to try it.
Old 08-26-08, 10:30 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

As a followup, I got the new lateral bars installed, the rear camber is nice now, its one degree more positive than before. I have it set now between 1.5 and 1.9 degrees negative. It was almost a full degree more negative before. The aesthetics are better too, the *** end of the car doesn't look like something is broken with the suspension! Hopefully my new rear tires will last longer now.
Old 08-26-08, 01:17 PM
BrianJ
Driver

As a followup, I got the new lateral bars installed, the rear camber is nice now, its one degree more positive than before. I have it set now between 1.5 and 1.9 degrees negative. It was almost a full degree more negative before. The aesthetics are better too, the *** end of the car doesn't look like something is broken with the suspension! Hopefully my new rear tires will last longer now.
How much was your car lowered and which lateral bars did you end up needing?
Old 08-26-08, 02:10 PM
beangrower
Pole Position

u must hate my car...

-5.5 degrees camber in the rear (courtesy of mode parfume rear upper control and toe arms).

..that's not me btw. jus another bmc ucf30 owner...

***edit

i forgot...he's on this forums. this is lexlusive. haha.

Last edited by beangrower; 08-26-08 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-26-08, 02:58 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hot 430!!! Love that shiny black!!!
Old 08-26-08, 06:36 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by beangrower
u must hate my car...

-5.5 degrees camber in the rear (courtesy of mode parfume rear upper control and toe arms).

..that's not me btw. jus another bmc ucf30 owner.
Hahaha -5.5 degrees?!?!? Wow. Hey man if you like it, its all good! Still looks like something's broken to me though. LOL Paint looks sssssick!
Old 08-26-08, 06:38 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrianJ
How much was your car lowered and which lateral bars did you end up needing?
My car is lowered so that when viewed from the side, the fender sits right at the top of the tire tread. I got the 441.5mm bars, they are the shortest ones, or so called "1-degree more positive" bars.
Old 08-26-08, 07:34 PM
beangrower
Pole Position

Hahaha -5.5 degrees?!?!? Wow. Hey man if you like it, its all good! Still looks like something's broken to me though. LOL Paint looks sssssick!
i know. different strokes for different folks. car came out of the paint booth that day...which i guess why it looks so slick. but im sure w/in a week or so.....should be all swirly again. haha.