LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New member introduction

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-08, 10:06 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member introduction

I am a relatively new member to this forum and wanted to take the time to introduce myself and my recently purchased 2005 LS430 UL. I have only posted once, but have been monitoring the community since right before I purchased my LS. I am in Carlsbad, CA (San Diego North County), and I purchased the LS back in late May. I had been looking for the right car for over a year. As I studied and learned more about the LS430, it became clear that I at least wanted a CU (Custom Luxury) LS and a 2004-2006. When this UL landed in my lap, I couldn't pass it up. I am **** about my cars, and so I would have liked this car to be a little cleaner than it is, but overall, it is in fine condition. It had 34K miles on it when I took ownership. The bumpers are not in prestine condition, but since I plan to purchase an Aero kit within the next two years, I can live with the bumper imperfections (bumper was repainted by the Lexus dealer and scratches still exist on the bottom of them).

This forum has been awesome. I have learned so much and have benefited greatly from the posts. I thank you all for that.

So far, I have purchased minor accessories as well as made minor modifications. Tinted windows (20% rear, 35%sides) with Llumar tint. Front end Clear Bra, including headlights and side mirrors. I also had the UL front badge clear plastic covered with the clear bra. Accessories include new all weather Lexus mats from Sewel, new ls460 plush floor mats (from ebay and as reported by BNR, fit is close), Covercraft Weathershield HP car cover, nav screen protector, leather key cover, and other stuff not worth mentioning. Yet, so many things left to consider.

I also ordered a Data Systems controller from L-tuned and recently received it from Japan last week. I had AutoFashion here in San Diego install it for me, but reading Airtime's post on the install and giving it to them for reference made all the difference. The controller is installed in the center console, but in a different position than how LA Wheel has his installed. I didn't want to do away with the power outlet. The proprietor of AutoFashion (Freddie) sent the user manual to Japan (to his cousins) to have it translated so that I can read how to adjust and program it. Of the five available memory presets, I set a zero, three, five, nine, and F. I would like to be able to adjust the front and rears at different height adjustments, but don't yet know how to do that. I also have the "speed" setting at zero, so when the car is powered on, the "warning message" appears on the controller. Attached is a pic of the car a day after I had the controller insalled. The pic is of a setting at '5', although I normaly roll with a setting of "3", sometimes with "5".

20 inch wheels are on order from Japan, so it will be roughly two months before the car will have new shoes. I am having buyers remorse on the wheels, since I couldn't decide on a 5 spoke (VIP Modular VR08) or a full face (Leon Hardiritt Beil). I went for the Beil's but that means waiting. What I really wanted were the D23 Walds full face wheel, but they are discontinued. Wald will no longer accept orders for it. The Leon Beil's are very similar to the D23's. I also have a MB E430 with AMG monoblocks, so that full face style I like. My cars either have a monoblock AMG look or 5 spoke. Still not convinced on which one, even though I have already committed with payment. They haven't been made yet.

I have the following questions that I hope some of you will answer:
o For those of you running 20's, what size tires are you running? I am thinking of going 275/30's in the rear, 245/35's up front. Anyone running the same, or larger (285's rears)?

o What type of tire brand are you running with. Better question to ask is what tire have you tried and recommend staying away from?

o For those of you running with a Data Systems Air Controller, what setting do you keep yours at?

o BNR, I notice you are from Del Mar. From the pics of your car on this list, you no doubt have a very clean car. It looks really nice. Your interior looks great. Any plans to go with a controller?
Attached Thumbnails New member introduction-ls430-1-medium.jpg  
Old 08-09-08, 10:22 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Default more pics

Here are more pics....

the close up on the front wheel/fender is at setting "9".

the close up on the hood, I tried to show where the clear bra ends, but the pic doesn't show it very well.
Attached Thumbnails New member introduction-ls430-2.jpg  
Old 08-09-08, 10:25 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

here is the pic of the front
Attached Thumbnails New member introduction-ls430-3.jpg  
Old 08-09-08, 10:26 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well welcome to clublexus!
sounds like your already doin big things with your LS and only had it since late may!

ENJOY STAY SAFE and see your around the forums!
Old 08-09-08, 10:27 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

pic trying to show where the clear bra ends on the hood...
Attached Thumbnails New member introduction-ls430-4.jpg  
Old 08-09-08, 10:30 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Almost forgot to show the front wheel/fender at seting of "9"
Attached Thumbnails New member introduction-ls430-5.jpg  
Old 08-10-08, 12:05 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the LS and welcome to Club Lexus!

It's always nice to see another fellow San Diegan in here
Old 08-10-08, 12:16 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome

Sounds like you did your homework

You car is almost a twin of mine. I too have the clear bra on but yours looks much cleaner. Mine's been on since new so its showing a little bit of its age. Same tint percentage. Also, on my previous MB SL, I had AMG monoblock too

For your Datasystem controller, setting the speed to 0 does nothing. The Warning slogan always goes on regardless of speed setting. Mine is at 100km and it still show the Warning. As I had mentioned or amended in the install thread, the speed setting is only a warning at your preset speed (so if you set it at 100 kilometer = 60mph, then it flashes when it hit that speed) and since you've installed it in the arm rest, you will never see it

For your setting 9, I'm guessing it should go a bit lower. Did you wait till it settle down before turning off the engine? Best bet is to look at the "Valve" screen on the controller. If its solid, then its settle, but if one of the lights are blinking (that represent the wheel of your car), then its still working on it.

Again, welcome to Club Lexus
Old 08-10-08, 04:02 PM
gs eddy
Rookie

hey, welcome.... I've been hovering quietly for some time now. I guess I'll intro myself soon. I just got an LS as well. everyone I've come across on CL has been very helpful. but anyway, car looks clean and from what you ordered it looks like its going to be pretty dope...
Old 08-10-08, 05:12 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welkum.....

1st off you live in Carlsbad huh? I lived on camp pendleton for years in San mateo right outside of carlsbad so I know exactly where you are. I loved the weather there!

But on another note Hella nice LS
Old 08-10-08, 10:06 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shlomboy
Well welcome to clublexus!
sounds like your already doin big things with your LS and only had it since late may!

ENJOY STAY SAFE and see your around the forums!

thanks for your welcome response. Much appreciated.
Old 08-10-08, 10:25 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Seize
Congrats on the LS and welcome to Club Lexus!

It's always nice to see another fellow San Diegan in here

Yes, same here. I remember seeing earlier posts from you and noticing your location.

BTW, I attended the Funkmaster Flex Custom Car and Bike Show in Anaheim today (at the Convention Center). Lots of cars in VIP mode. LL was there and did a couple of songs. The Game was suppose to be there, but not sure if he showed or not. Only two LS430's on hand though, so that was a disappointment. One was dressed in a Wald kit (in white). The other in a kit that I forgot the name of (but was also from Japan). That second car was Flint (gray). I will need to check out my photos of the car since it had the name of the kit manufacturer on the license plate.

There is a show in San Diego (Dub Show Tour) coming in Sept (28th), at the Convention Center. I did go to the AutoExtreme show at Qualcomm in June which was alright. Nice to get ideas first hand at these shows.
Old 08-10-08, 10:36 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by airtime
Welcome

Sounds like you did your homework

You car is almost a twin of mine. I too have the clear bra on but yours looks much cleaner. Mine's been on since new so its showing a little bit of its age. Same tint percentage. Also, on my previous MB SL, I had AMG monoblock too

For your Datasystem controller, setting the speed to 0 does nothing. The Warning slogan always goes on regardless of speed setting. Mine is at 100km and it still show the Warning. As I had mentioned or amended in the install thread, the speed setting is only a warning at your preset speed (so if you set it at 100 kilometer = 60mph, then it flashes when it hit that speed) and since you've installed it in the arm rest, you will never see it

For your setting 9, I'm guessing it should go a bit lower. Did you wait till it settle down before turning off the engine? Best bet is to look at the "Valve" screen on the controller. If its solid, then its settle, but if one of the lights are blinking (that represent the wheel of your car), then its still working on it.

Again, welcome to Club Lexus

Thanks Airtime, and especially on the controller info. You sure stay up on the different threads on this forum. I applaud you. On your comment about 9 should be lower, I notice that if I were to drive a little first, things settle and get lower. That goes for all the settings. BTW, that pic I have of the 9 setting, the car continued to stay on while I took the photo and had been set well within over 3 minutes (or more) before snapping the picture (other pictures were taken before that particular one).

BTW, given the wheels you have on your LS now, looks like you too like the same look as I do. As you can see from my selecting the Beils (and my interest in the Wald D23's), I seem to continue to gravitate to that look.