LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Side Mirrors LED Light Install w/ Pix

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 08:21 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

NP!

The glove box and middle console use the same bulbs that are used for your foot and door handle lights. They are not worth the PIA it will take to get to them for a swap IMO, but hey you can be the first to take a crak at it.
Old 05-08-09, 10:07 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Wouldn't
this
WLED-xHP5 Wedge Base Bulb
Miniature Wedge Base Bulb(194/168 type) with 5 High Power SMD LEDs
12 VDC, 360 Viewing Angle, Polarized bulb
Select LED color
$ 5.95

be better than this?
WLED-xHP High Power LED bulb
12 VDC Wedge Base bulb (194/168 type)
With 1 High Power LED
Polarized bulb, Available in Pure White, Blue, Green, Red and Amber
$ 4.95

And it is just a dollar more. Anyone tried this? Is it brighter?

Reference: Search WELD on this page
Old 05-09-09, 06:40 AM
Tee

Yes b/c it has more LED's but you have to be mindful fo the size of the bulb housing when swaping bulbs for LED's. The trunk, doors, park, mirrors and tag all use 194 but the areas are tight. So the LED's may not fit or light corvers won't snap back on due to the LED's being to big.
Old 05-10-09, 03:14 PM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i knew this thread is up for a while. never bother to check this out until after i changed my customer mirror led light...

regards to the instructions from the op, you don't have to take off the surround of the mirror. infact i separate the mirror by pulling the bottom. then slowly slide it down because there is 2 hooks on the top that you don't want to break just by pulling.

and taking off the center mount it is not necessary...once you got the mirror lens off just loosen the screws for the housing...afterwards you can pop off the light at the bottom

i don't recommend using a credit card to pop the light from the bottom, no matter how careful you are...i look at how it is mounted it is not worth it to chance scratching up the bottom
Old 05-12-09, 01:02 PM
asdf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED's

About 7 or 8 months ago i switched out all my 194's with some ebay LED's. about 3 or 4 weeks later they began to flicker and or go out.. the seller warranted them (never would have thought) and they continue to do the same thing.. now i do live in fl so there's an occasional rain storm and i've got 1 L715 beating up the trunk most of the time so i can understand 1 or 2 issues but not constant.. Lesson is don't get the cheap **** as i'm going to try another brand today and see ...
Holla
Old 05-12-09, 02:48 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so i just tried, and failed miserably at replacing the license plate lights from the trunk area. son of a * that shiz sucked dude. so i didn't want to just rip off the carpet from the inside trunk release handle and the little trunk light so i just gave up. is there a trick to getting the trunk lid carpet liner stuff off of the emergency release handle and little trunk light just to the left of the release handle without screwing anything up or having a very difficult time putting it all back again?? thanks,
Old 05-13-09, 10:59 AM
Tee

Sojah you need to pop all of the button screws out and then work the trunk carpet around the handle. I know its a PITA but that what you have to do when you don;t have hobbit hands. Get the wife to to do swap the bulb if you done want to pull off the trunk carpet, BTW make sure you are buying 12V bulbs too.
Old 05-13-09, 12:05 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeah, i got the proper bulbs, and i can get all the trunk screws off and access the right side bulb no prob, but i don't even think my skinny asian wife could get to the left bulb without taking off more of the carpet. so if i work the carpet out thats around the handle and even the light is it easy to get the carpet back around the light and trunk release handle to look proper again??
Old 05-13-09, 12:28 PM
Tee

It takes a little time to work the carpet back around the light housing but you can do it, you must have patience grasshopper!

Old 05-13-09, 03:53 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

nice ^ pic, yeah lately i just get frustrated and start pulling harder until desired or undesired effect is reached. like those side mirror puddle lights; i completely ripped the passenger side one out, but nothing a little super glue won't/didn't fix... now i just have to sell the car before the led burns out... shhhh....
Old 05-30-09, 04:31 PM
LS430_Mike
Driver School Candidate

I used the Wled-whp's for my plate lights. They look MINT. Not to bright imo. I will be doing the mirror lights and revers lights as well. I'm not touching the interior lights. I like the soft glow on the inside of the car.

Great write up. This is a great mod for what I am doing with the car. I'm just freshening up the factory look. (sport wheels,led tails, grille, and these LED lights) I would even recomend this to guys that are 100% bone stock. It just makes the whole car look newer!
Old 05-31-09, 01:01 AM
JP2SEA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sojah
yeah, i got the proper bulbs, and i can get all the trunk screws off and access the right side bulb no prob, but i don't even think my skinny asian wife could get to the left bulb without taking off more of the carpet. so if i work the carpet out thats around the handle and even the light is it easy to get the carpet back around the light and trunk release handle to look proper again??
After reading some people mentioning of very tight space to change out the bulb, I never tried it until this afternoon. Took all the black plastic tab/screw thingy off, took the trunk light housing, emergency lever housing off by using the flat tip screw driver (to wiggle them off), and the carpet was off. No fighting for the tight space. Both trunk light housing, and a emergency lever housing has a little clip on your side and the opposite side when you are standing facing the trunk. I didn't bother taking picture, but should have.... (mine is before M/C, maybe it it different for after M/C).

good luck, Sojah. Ganbatte
Old 05-31-09, 06:12 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

yeshhh, ganbaru myself! thanks,
Old 06-04-09, 02:01 PM
HornyLlama
Rookie

For the license plat LEDs (WLED-X6), which color is the best to get? Cool white? Tee I love the one's on your car. Which ones are those?
Old 04-24-10, 12:15 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by REV-01
i knew this thread is up for a while. never bother to check this out until after i changed my customer mirror led light...

regards to the instructions from the op, you don't have to take off the surround of the mirror. infact i separate the mirror by pulling the bottom. then slowly slide it down because there is 2 hooks on the top that you don't want to break just by pulling.

and taking off the center mount it is not necessary...once you got the mirror lens off just loosen the screws for the housing...afterwards you can pop off the light at the bottom

i don't recommend using a credit card to pop the light from the bottom, no matter how careful you are...i look at how it is mounted it is not worth it to chance scratching up the bottom
Absolutely correct. There is no need to use tools or take off the parts. Easy push and click to pull the mirror. Separate the black and white plastic is doing the job:
Attached Thumbnails Side Mirrors LED Light Install w/ Pix-img_1328_vga.jpg  

Quick Reply: Side Mirrors LED Light Install w/ Pix