LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2001 LS430, No Disk Detected, Nav Dead!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 02:13 PM
Russ G
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 LS430, No Disk Detected, Nav Dead!

Has anyone ever tried to open the Navigation Player box and replace just the DVD drive? On my LS430 the unit is in the trunk. If I can change out the DVD drive on my Dell computer, why not in this navigation unit? Any input? It doesn't work now. Will messing with it make it not work even worse?
Old 08-23-08, 02:48 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

no personal experience on this one, but I would think it would be very similar to replacing a drive on the computer. I doubt Lexus would require the Nav Screen/Head Unit to be changed in conjunction as that would be added expense when they fail under warranty....

Hopefully someone else will chime in with more experience or you might be able to speak with a dealer about it.
Old 08-23-08, 06:29 PM
CarguyinGa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Russ G
Will messing with it make it not work even worse?
How much less functional can it become if it's dead already?

Mine has begun the same thing sporadically but I have not had a chance to attempt a repair yet....my wife keeps the car on the road too much! Does it ever boot or is it dead all the time? Multiple initiation attempts gets mine to read sometimes (cycling the key). I hope to go into the unit next week myself.
Old 08-24-08, 08:49 AM
Russ G
Driver

How much less functional can it become if it's dead already?

My thoughts exactly. My problems were intermittent and then just dead. The big question for me is what will it take to get into the unit and then can I find a compatible drive. Please let us know what you find. I will do the same.

Last edited by Russ G; 08-24-08 at 08:50 AM. Reason: completeness
Old 08-24-08, 07:57 PM
CarguyinGa
Driver School Candidate

Well...I took it out and apart today, there were no visible issues to be found. Removing the drive is very simple, take out two screws to remove the unit along with three connectors, once it's out remove the faceplate, there are three screws behind it holding the cover and another 4 along the rear edge I think. Once the cover is off there are 4 screws holding the drive in place, one power plug, and two ribbon cables later the drive is out. I was able to remove the upper cover of the drive too for inspection...no avail really unless you're well versed in component level electronics repair. I think I'm going to get mine checked and fixed here....
http://videoservicestop.com/radiorepairs/lexus.htm
Old 08-25-08, 08:07 AM
Russ G
Driver

Hi CarguyinGa,

Great info. Sounds like a straightforward process. My question is; are the any identifying labels on the drive itself to order a replacement drive only? My thoughts are to replace the drive rather than to send it out for repair. Based on your experience in the box, does this sound like a possibility?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-08, 11:13 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CarguyinGa
Well...I took it out and apart today, there were no visible issues to be found. Removing the drive is very simple, take out two screws to remove the unit along with three connectors, once it's out remove the faceplate, there are three screws behind it holding the cover and another 4 along the rear edge I think. Once the cover is off there are 4 screws holding the drive in place, one power plug, and two ribbon cables later the drive is out. I was able to remove the upper cover of the drive too for inspection...no avail really unless you're well versed in component level electronics repair. I think I'm going to get mine checked and fixed here....
http://videoservicestop.com/radiorepairs/lexus.htm
Thanks for the info, i'm having the same problem, I just called them (videoservicestop) and they told me it would cost me $387 to repair my navi. So seems like a good deal. I'm gonna ship mine in here real soon to them. better than buying a used one for $900-1200
Old 08-26-08, 07:31 AM
CarguyinGa
Driver School Candidate

Hi CarguyinGa,

Great info. Sounds like a straightforward process. My question is; are the any identifying labels on the drive itself to order a replacement drive only?
Thanks!
It had a DVS 1000 label on the side of the drive itself I think, I did a search and it came up useless. There were no manufacturer identifications that I could see on it either. I'm going to look at maybe snagging a used later generation unit myself, If that fails it's time to spend the $387!
Old 08-26-08, 09:15 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I strongly suggest you upgrade to the 4th gen navi since they are about the same price used. It should be plug and play according to those who made the jump in the GS forums.
Old 08-27-08, 02:12 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

I just sent mine off yesterday...I will update once I recieve it back from them.
Old 08-28-08, 07:49 AM
Russ G
Driver

Good luck. Please let us know how it turns out. What parts did you send them?
Old 08-28-08, 08:14 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Good luck. Please let us know how it turns out. What parts did you send them?
lol.....what does the Good luck mean? That website is a scam?

I sent him the dvd unit located in the back of the trunk.....
Old 08-28-08, 08:54 AM
Russ G
Driver

Not at all. I have never heard of them. I just hope that it works out well. Because if yours does, I am likely to follow your lead.
Old 08-28-08, 03:28 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Not at all. I have never heard of them. I just hope that it works out well. Because if yours does, I am likely to follow your lead.
Oh...ok koo koo, yea I spoke w/ the guy on the phone said he just recieved it and it can take anywhere from 2-5 business days to repair, but I'm sure its not gonna take that long. They made it sound like they have repaired many of these (1st gen LS430 Navs). The good thing about it is, if they cannot repair it they will not charge me anything. The only thing I'm out is, the shipping.
Old 09-03-08, 12:15 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Just called to check the status of my navi, they just got done repairing it. Total came out to be $405 shipping back to me. They said it should arrive Friday, Sat, or Monday the latest. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks

Quick Reply: 2001 LS430, No Disk Detected, Nav Dead!