Service Manual: Removing Navigation Unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-08, 10:40 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Manual: Removing Navigation Unit

All,
I know there has been a few posts on how to remove the navigation unit for the ls430. But I would like to know if anyone has a pdf of the service manual that shows the step by step procedures. It would be nice to take a look at and I'm sure many people will find it useful. Thank you.

-Kenji
Old 04-07-09, 06:22 AM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know have any steps on removing the navigation. Im installing vaistech sl2vi on my 04 LS. I have everything below the navagition removed, heater controls, tape/cd deck. I need to plug one of the vaistech connectors(blue) to the back of the Nav but not sure how to remove it.
Old 04-07-09, 06:54 AM
spender
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although it's not a job you want to rush (given that it is about the most visible spot in the interior of the car), the steps are fairly easy if you take your time and are organized. Make sure you have a magnetized screwdriver and lots of towels to stuff into crevices, the biggest danger is for sure dropping something into a spot where you may never see it again (not to mention the future rattling).

Here's my post on this from a few years back: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-lockpick.html, mine is post #27; read it and the preceding posts in that thread and it'll tell you everything you need to know, seriously.
Old 04-07-09, 07:59 AM
LRoy430ul
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spender
I just replaced the plastic bezel on my navigation screen in my 04 LS430 last night, and I had three little tips I wanted to share with the Lexus community that I think will make your lives easier, if you ever need to get into the center bezel for any reason, whether to install a Lockpick, a Vaistech, or just like me, to replace a scratched bezel.

Here they are:

1. To remove the driver/passenger temperature buttons, it's easiest to use a hook tool, like the one that is second from the right below.

Just dip the point in slightly behind the top of each button, make sure you're on the "lip" (see pictures below), and give it a pull. These now come out in seconds rather than the longer time some posters have mentioned.

2. When taking out the screws behind the temperature switches, to remove them I used a magnetic probe right under my socket screwdriver to ensure that when they were out, they would get caught immediately by the magnetic. Also, to reattach, I used that blue poster putty stuff (buy it at Staples or any office store) inside the socket head to give a secure hold on the bolts.

3. Use microfibre towels to cover everything, and stuff them in various holes to prevent anything from falling too far if you drop it! Good for peace of mind.

Finally, it took me a little under an hour to get everything disassembled and reassembled. For those of you on the fence, although it feels a little scary to be taking your expensive precision toy apart, it's not as hard as it looks (assuming you have tinkered with cars before), and just do it!

Thx for the info. I looked thru this thread before but had missed your post.
1 Question: The screws to remove the nav are located behind both heater controls(drivers/passanger side)?