LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Horrible independent Lexus salesguy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-08, 11:57 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemareen
no u are wrong, just because a car is not CPO does not mean it's junk.

a lot of cars go through different channels. Some lease returns go to the bank, which in turn goes to auction.

some cars get re'poed and goes to auction.

CPO just means u get the cpo warranty.

and a 2005 to 2006 with 25K to 30K miles already have factory warranty so a CPO isn't even necessary.

Good. take your chances, then. I wouldn't touch any car on one of these rinky dink lots with a ten foot pole, though. Would you want a repo? I wouldn't. Especially not for the money this schmuck is asking. Also, plenty of issues could exist on such cars that would indeed void a factory warranty. Service intervals, modifications, cluster swaps and/or odometer fraud, heavy collision repair not done properly, the list goes on. I tend to be very risk averse when it comes to such purchases.

Your statement that CPO just means it gets the CPO warranty is an oversimplification and does not account for the condition the vehicle must be in to qualify for the warranty.
Old 08-29-08, 01:14 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
Good. take your chances, then. I wouldn't touch any car on one of these rinky dink lots with a ten foot pole, though. Would you want a repo? I wouldn't. Especially not for the money this schmuck is asking. Also, plenty of issues could exist on such cars that would indeed void a factory warranty. Service intervals, modifications, cluster swaps and/or odometer fraud, heavy collision repair not done properly, the list goes on. I tend to be very risk averse when it comes to such purchases.

Your statement that CPO just means it gets the CPO warranty is an oversimplification and does not account for the condition the vehicle must be in to qualify for the warranty.
Well, it is true that many of these rinky dink lots do have trashed cars, but you can find good non CPO Lexus cars on other dealer lots. I bought 3 Lexus's from smaller independent used car lots and had no trouble. I also bought brand new from the Lexus dealership so I do have something to compare with. There are a few CPO cars that are junk as well, so it does go both ways. Even with a CPO car you have to inspect it yourself and have it checked out by a separate independent shop if you want to be really sure.

Sometimes the car can just be a few thousand miles out of CPO specifications thus not able to receive the CPO status. Personally, I'd take a well cared for non CPO car with 20K more miles than one that barely makes the CPO grade but lower miles. With all things, you have to use common sense. You do have some peace of mind with a CPO car, but you also can save thousands for a just as good or sometimes better non CPO car. Its just a matter of how much time you want to spend on your car search.
Old 08-29-08, 02:30 PM
ChocosLS430
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate sales people like that. There job is to sell you something, not turn a customer away. Looks like he is hiding something and it was faith that he did that. You could has bought the car and later find out it was in a Hurricane flood damage but all covered up with polish. Sometimes funny things like this happens for a reason. I bet if you check out the Better Business Bureau, he has a lot of complaints filed against him. Glad you posted the info. Be patience and you will one day find the LS430 you been waiting for.

DanozLS430...
Old 08-29-08, 03:14 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

then what is it? if a CPO doesn't mean CPO warranty then what is it ? what am I oversimplifying ?

that IS exactly what it is.

Originally Posted by link13

Old 08-29-08, 03:16 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

exactly, well said.

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Well, it is true that many of these rinky dink lots do have trashed cars, but you can find good non CPO Lexus cars on other dealer lots. I bought 3 Lexus's from smaller independent used car lots and had no trouble. I also bought brand new from the Lexus dealership so I do have something to compare with. There are a few CPO cars that are junk as well, so it does go both ways. Even with a CPO car you have to inspect it yourself and have it checked out by a separate independent shop if you want to be really sure.

Sometimes the car can just be a few thousand miles out of CPO specifications thus not able to receive the CPO status. Personally, I'd take a well cared for non CPO car with 20K more miles than one that barely makes the CPO grade but lower miles. With all things, you have to use common sense. You do have some peace of mind with a CPO car, but you also can save thousands for a just as good or sometimes better non CPO car. Its just a matter of how much time you want to spend on your car search.
Old 08-29-08, 06:37 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PR and Stuff

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Exactly. Take it for what it's worth, and with a grain of salt, but this is coming from the Lexus sales guy that I've been dealing with. The CPO program only takes off-lease vehicles, or trade-ins, which are in "prime" condition and meet the CPO qualifications (years, mileage, body condition) and are then factory "certified" with their 161 point inspection. Keep in mind, most of the 161 points are visual things like "are all seat belts present" "windshield good", kind of junky stuff. If passed, either first attempt, or if they have to correct some deficiencies, then it becomes a CPO vehicle.

With a CPO vehicle, you're paying more than if it were not CPO, but that just means you're getting the 3/100K b2b warranty added on to the price. This doesn't guarantee that it's going to really be any better, but if something does break, you're covered.

I've been to this place called "Autolenders" in southern NJ and they have plenty of very good vehicles in "visual" prime condition with low miles. I'm sure in their inventory of over 100 vehicles that there are some probably better than CPO. They deal with vehicles that are off-lease through local banks and they reseal for the banks. Prices are about $4K-5K lower than a typical comparable Lexus CPO vehicle, but I just have not found the trim I want.
Old 08-29-08, 06:41 PM
gtfour43
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I updated your thread title... this is not a Lexus dealer, he's an independent used car sales lot.
Thanks Dave. After I saw the change I thought how dumb am I to call them a Lexus dealer. This guy shouldn't even be affiliated with the name Lexus
Old 08-29-08, 06:45 PM
gtfour43
Driver

Originally Posted by bigcory
There are plenty of us on here, we should all start being interested in his cars and asking if the price is firm or if he is willing to negotiate?

Try KandFauto.com
They are a pretty small dealership. The sales guy there was very low pressure. He gave me the keys to the car and let me sit in it for as long as I liked while he hung out in the office. He's come out now and then just to check and see if I had any questions or anything. When it came to wheel and deal time, he was also very pleasant to deal with. He never became irrate or tried to bully me. I dealt with several dealers that I probably would not have gone back to even if they had the right car I wanted.

I give K&F FIVE STARS

Yup I been in contact with K&F also. Omied has great customer service compared to this guy. I wish I could go down and sit in his cars for as long as I like but I'm buying off his pictures and his word only. Living in hawaii sux
Old 08-29-08, 06:47 PM
gtfour43
Driver

Originally Posted by mikemareen
a good deal for 2005 would be about 27K to 28K. He has a 6K profit margin in between there.

he must be pretty confident he will sell the car, but ya what a lame salesman.

but my question, why did u even bother calling him back when he hangs up on you ?
To b1tch at him and tell him off. Hey I'm half Korean. We dont back down when we're right

This guy totally lost out on a sale and I'm sure after all the members here are gonna stay away from him now since I'm not the only one who had a bad experience with him.
Old 08-30-08, 10:40 AM
Carmelstev
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to agree with a couple of points-
CPO from Lexus is great, but you're paying a premium. If you're willing to do your homework, you can save several thousand dollars. You just have to really put some time into it. The Lexus dealers I dealt with were very hesitant to come down on their CPO's more than a few hundred dollars from asking price. I actually saw a couple of really rough cars that were CPO's, and ended up buying from an independent and have been very happy with my LS.
And I agree that Omeid at K and F is really good to work with. As I've said in other posts, they are extremely low pressure and I found them to be honest. They have a steady stream of good quality Lexus, especially UL LS430's. These guys sure are starting to get a lot of buzz on the board. I'm starting to worry that people will think I work for them, but I think it's important to give good dealers their due.

Steve
Old 08-30-08, 11:16 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I look at it this way. I have spent SIX MONTHS researching which TIRES I wanted to put on a 2006 Honda Civic, before i finally made a choice.

I reckon if even HALF of america would put that kind of dedication into buying their used cars (cause lets face it...less than half of the US actually buys new), these boys that sell anything other than 1st rate cars would be out of business. Most people decide what kind of used car they want because of utiliarian value or even just because it looks "nice". well looks can be decieving. Whenever i purchase a late model used car i ALWAYS do MONTHS of reserach comapring every aspect and learning everything i can. I have walked away from a toyota purchase because of the tires on the car., i have also walked away from a ford purchase due to paint flaws. both were brand new cars. If america becomes as picky about what they drive as most of us CL members are, there would be MUCH better cars on the road. The bottom line is that 95% of america bases their car purchase on what they want, not what the best choice is, and the even sadder truth is an even bigger percentage do little/no research on their choices.

Just one example...I want a 2008 Ford F350 Super Duty Diesel. Can I afford the truck and the fuel? Absolutely...do i want to? not particularly. So i drive something on the opposite side of the spectrum...it still suits my needs, but for much cheaper.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 08-30-08 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-30-08, 01:21 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtfour43
Yup I been in contact with K&F also. Omied has great customer service compared to this guy. I wish I could go down and sit in his cars for as long as I like but I'm buying off his pictures and his word only. Living in hawaii sux

His cars seem to be pretty nice. He has space inside where he stores about 10 or so cars. The rest out on the lot. I will say that on his site he will list exterior/interior/tires as excellent when in reality there will be some scratches or chips in the paint. Best bet would be to have him take pictures specifically of the car your interested in and have him shoot you the pictures. Or maybe see if there is a memeber in SJ that will take a look at them for you. I'm in fremont, but occascionally head down there. If you'd like me to look, I can next time I'm out that way.