LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking to buy a LS 430. Opinions and advice appreciated : )

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-08, 02:46 PM
CocDiezel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a LS 430. Opinions and advice appreciated : )

Im looking for either a Black or Flint (Charcoal/Grey) LS 430. I think I have found a nice CPO one.

What features should I be looking for? Do they make a Sport Model?

I dont know what the optional feature are so I know what I have to choose from.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-08, 03:04 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default CPO or Not

Originally Posted by CocDiezel
Im looking for either a Black or Flint (Charcoal/Grey) LS 430. I think I have found a nice CPO one.

What features should I be looking for? Do they make a Sport Model?

I dont know what the optional feature are so I know what I have to choose from.

Thanks!
I'm in your same boat, looking for a LS430, but I'm just in "wait mode" at moment for the right one that I want. As for differences, this is what I can gather from looking through it all, but I'm sure I'm missing some things:

Almost all the packages (i.e. Modern Luxury, Custom Luxury, Ultra Luxury) all came with navigation, but the later year ones came also with bluetooth and backup camera. Then it seems that

1. 2001-2003 the LS430 came with a 5-speed transmission and 0-60 was 6.3 seconds or so. It had regular incandescent tail lights.

2. 2004-2005 the LS430 had same engine, but 6-speed transmission and 0-60 got better down to 5.9 seconds with mileage rating split of 18/25. The taillights were "upgraded" to LED. The headlights were upgraded to adaptive, where it turns with the steering.

It seems the CL package has the:

Mark Levinson radio
DVD Navigation System
Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
Laminated side glass
Intuitive Parking Assist
Front climate-comfort seats with heat/cool ****
Headlamp washers
Power door closers
Rear-seat heaters
Perforated leather seating surfaces

With the UL level adding to the CL:

Air suspension
Rear door sun shades
Smartaccess
Rear seat massage
Air purifier
Radio controllers on the arm rest
and a 'cooler box'

I am leaning towards a CL level, only because I have three kids and the goodies in the back are really not used when the arm rest is not down. Also, the UL seems to run about $5-6K more than a CL trim. Plus, the air suspension is not something I'm looking forward to to eventually replace. It may not go within 100K, but it will go at some point and they're $1000 per wheel I heard so that's overall $4000 hit eventually.

As for CPO, I'm not looking for that specifically because it adds about $2K to the price of the vehicle and most have the remaining factory warranty if you get something 2005 or newer and not much on the LS430 is going to break that will be $2000.

Anyway, good luck hunting, this seems like a good time to look for one. I have been hunting in east coast (where I am) and they're running about $28K for a nice low mileage (40K or less) with modern or custom luxury, up to like $34k for a UL. There seems to be better deal on west coast (i.e. California) and they run about $2-3K less some times, so maybe fly out there and get one if the deal is right.

As for Sport Model, there is a "European tuned" suspension option, but I'm not sure if you can get that with the UL, as it's a different air suspension, but I know you can get with "lesser" models.
Old 09-05-08, 04:09 PM
LSorBS
Driver

you're going to regret not going with either a custom or ultra luxury package. a real good way to tell is that the custom luxury packages have headlamp washers and the ultra lux packages have headlamp washers as well has side sun shades (and all the other goodies of course).

i you don't mind the air suspension, the ultra luxury models are beasts. they have reclining/cooled/heated REAR seats along with rear climate and audio controls and a fridge in the rear. if the air suspension isn't for you (like me) then go with the custom lux package, you'll get all the goodies minus the rear seats, suspension and fridge.

whatever you do, DON'T buy a base LS... you'll regret it, it's all the little things (self-closing doors, suede headliner, burnt wood etc.) that make a great car, absolutely fantastic.

trust me, my old m45 had all the techno-goodies, but none of the real luxury items...

remember the old adage:

once you go suede... you'll never go back
Old 09-05-08, 05:01 PM
CocDiezel
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! So whats the difference between the modern lux package? By that how does it differ from the custom and ultra packages...
Old 09-05-08, 05:03 PM
CocDiezel
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! So whats the difference between the modern lux package? By that how does it differ from the custom and ultra packages...

The sport has the side badging and im guessing sportier handling, is the ultra the same thing but with more gadgets?
Old 09-05-08, 08:51 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The sport has the side badging and im guessing sportier handling, is the ultra the same thing but with more gadgets?
go to lexus.com and choose preowned then models choose LS then it'll compare all the different packages... i would forgo the sport and i like ultra and custom as well.. i love saddle interior with flint exterior.
Old 09-05-08, 11:17 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE
Senior Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Have a look at the sticky on top of this forum.
Old 09-05-08, 11:20 PM
LSorBS
Driver

You're looking for the wrong car if you think you're going to find a "sporty" ls... they simply don't exist. the ultra luxury package (and some custom luxury packages) mostly come with air suspension, which is essentially the opposite of the euro-tuned sport suspension option, so watch for that. in my opinion, the sport suspension just makes the car less comfortable... pointless really. the ls (while an amazing machine) simply could never... ever... ever be described as sporty. make no mistake however, the ls is by no means a slouch. it may only have 290hp but it's fairly light (only the xj is lighter in the class) and very aerodynamic and as a result does have quite a lot of brute power- trust me, the ricers in my area don't race ls430's anymore

click here to view descriptions for the various packages

however, the exciting thing is most dealers don't have any idea what "package" their ls has, so most of the time you won't pay much more for a much nicer vehicle.

the perks of custom/ultra lux cars include:

-radar cruise
-Pre-Collision System (some models)
-Headlamp washers
-Rear-seat heaters
-Perforated leather
and on some models... the highly coveted suede headliner and burnt walnut trim

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
go to lexus.com and choose preowned then models choose LS then it'll compare all the different packages... i would forgo the sport and i like ultra and custom as well.. i love saddle interior with flint exterior.
what you forgot to mention GILLERGS4 is that some people endlessly and finally had to settle on flint on black

in the end though, i've never seen a better looking color for an ls then flint mica.
Old 09-06-08, 05:24 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How to tell if your LS430 has the Pre Collision System (PCS) is that the laser cruise control instead of being on the bumper on the bottom, has it on the grille and is covered by a glass square on the "L" emblem. Just little tidbit.
Old 09-06-08, 06:51 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
How to tell if your LS430 has the Pre Collision System (PCS) is that the laser cruise control instead of being on the bumper on the bottom, has it on the grille and is covered by a glass square on the "L" emblem. Just little tidbit.
its not glass. its plastic...
Old 09-06-08, 07:19 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

For the record I luv my Modern Lux, I also have "Perforated leather seating surfaces" but it is not listed that the ML should.

Last edited by Tee; 09-06-08 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-06-08, 07:23 PM
alfpark
Driver School Candidate

Default Just got a 2001

Its white pearl fully loaded ultra luxury package and 78k miles. I think I got a good deal at $14750!!! Needed a tire and went right through inspection. Best friend is a GM at a dealer he is hooking me up with his price to get leather touched up everything else seems good. His mechaniic is going to do the 60k service and check it head to toe.

pics to follow
Old 09-06-08, 08:12 PM
LSorBS
Driver

Originally Posted by alfpark
Its white pearl fully loaded ultra luxury package and 78k miles. I think I got a good deal at $14750!!! Needed a tire and went right through inspection. Best friend is a GM at a dealer he is hooking me up with his price to get leather touched up everything else seems good. His mechaniic is going to do the 60k service and check it head to toe.

pics to follow
sounds like you got a good deal... hopefully there wont be any problems w/ it. post some pics
Old 09-08-08, 04:02 PM
CocDiezel
Driver School Candidate

How does the LS430 compare to a BMW 745li? I know hands down its so much more dependable, but just curious if there are any experienced owners of each?
Old 09-08-08, 04:49 PM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

How does the LS430 compare to a BMW 745li? I know hands down its so much more dependable, but just curious if there are any experienced owners of each?
Here you go:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=2302489

If you're looking for a luxobarge canyon carver, the 745 it is

The LS430 is a comfy straight away cruiser

It's ALL personal preference. I love both cars, but since I want a car to last beyond the warranty without putting a hole in my pocket, LS for me

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a LS 430. Opinions and advice appreciated : )