Cold Air Intake?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-08, 10:56 AM
asdf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake?!

What up all,!

North West FL 01 LS430 owner here with stock wheels, chrome pillars (how come no one has these, they shine!) white leds and alpine dva301 touch screen dvd, backup camera, with interior matched fiberglass dash kit (**** is clean!!) Kicker L7S15. lots to come.. (rims, pipes, taillights custom sub replacement in rear deck)

Right now I am wondering about cold air intakes. I know this mod will increase hp alot on a 4.3 l v8 cause i can hear the stock intake sucking(no pun intended) when i get on it! But i cant seem to find any ?quality!! cold air intakes and was wanting some input on anyone's experiences.
NWFL owners STAND UP!!

Last edited by asdf; 09-09-08 at 10:57 AM. Reason: grammatical
Old 09-09-08, 11:15 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Intakes are just noisemakers. You'll probably gain like 5 hp. I know Fujita makes one for the LS430.
Old 09-09-08, 11:30 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by asdf
Right now I am wondering about cold air intakes. I know this mod will increase hp alot on a 4.3 l v8 cause i can hear the stock intake sucking(no pun intended) when i get on it! But i cant seem to find any ?quality!! cold air intakes and was wanting some input on anyone's experiences.
So-called CAI won't improve HP on the LS. Most likely it won't even change the temperature of the air going into the engine, and may even increase it. I've done TONS of testing and monitoring of charge air temperatures on my Supra with instant-reacting open element probes at multiple points in the intake tract. When a vehicle is stopped (such as at idle at a taffic light) the charge air temp skyrockets due to the underhood heat, heat from the rest of the engine transferring into the intake manifold, and the fact that the tiny amount of airflow through the engine simply isn't great enough to keep this heat down. Once you get under way and get some airflow going through the engine and into the intake, charge air temps will drop back down to only several degrees above ambient. A good factory intake tract made of relatively non-conducting plastic and configured/engineered to pick up fresh air when the vehicle is under way (as most vehicle intake systems are configured nowadays) will provide as low a charge air temp as most aftermarket systems, if not lower.

The facts aside, there's a tremendous placebo effect with aftermarket air cleaners and 'cold air intakes' though, so I'm sure many people will fall for the hype and marketing and continue to believe. LOL
Old 09-09-08, 11:55 AM
DanozLS430
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to CL. I use to have Injen CAI (Cold Air Intake) on one of my samller cars before and it did not do anything for the HP as stated, but did make a deeper sound when you press on the pedal. All show, no go. The risk of a CAI (type that goes into the tire fender well) is that there is a possibility of hydro lock. This is when water gets sucks into the filter and into you engine when driving over a flooded area with water half way above your tires. They sell a special bypass valve to take care of that in case you ever have to drive on a flooded street. I don't know how the CAI setup on a LS430 wiil be though.

DanozLS430...

Last edited by DanozLS430; 09-09-08 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-09-08, 12:20 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by asdf
What up all,!

North West FL 01 LS430 owner here with stock wheels, chrome pillars (how come no one has these, they shine!) white leds and alpine dva301 touch screen dvd, backup camera, with interior matched fiberglass dash kit (**** is clean!!) Kicker L7S15. lots to come.. (rims, pipes, taillights custom sub replacement in rear deck)
Welcome asdf

You gotta post some pictures of your ride for us.
Old 09-09-08, 12:29 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put CAI on many of my cars, the only one I notice the difference is SRT with control module on my GS400. SRT doesn't exist anymore.
Old 09-09-08, 12:55 PM
asdf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DanozLS430
The risk of a CAI (type that goes into the tire fender well) is that there is a possibility of hydro lock. This is when water gets sucks into the filter and into you engine when driving over a flooded area with waiter half way above your tires..
Thanks all for the welcome. I'll work on some pics this weekend. I know all about hydro locking (unfortunately) i did this to a VW GTI VR6 quite a few years ago. Luckly i knew to remove aftermarket parts before having the insurance est...
Old 09-11-08, 11:56 PM
got56ry
Rookie

I just ordered an injen short ram intake for my '01 ls430, and while injen itself does not have an actual dyno run for the specific intake model that I have, fujita did dyno their f5 intake and posted these results http://www.*****.com/images/dyno/01%20LS430.GIF (replace the ***** with f 5 air (no spaces), it replaces the letters for some reason). These are just results from a short ram intake, so I would assume a cold air intake would produce a little more power and torque.

Last edited by got56ry; 09-12-08 at 12:00 AM.