LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Any Suggestions on Vibration at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 10:48 AM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Any Suggestions on Vibration at highway speeds

2005 LS430 UL with 47K miles, purchased four weeks ago - certified. When we first test drove, we noticed a vibration on all road surfaces. The dealer replaced two tires so there were four new matched tires (the remaining tires had less than 5K miles). The vibration lessened, but was still there. The dealer then re-balanced tires (maybe rotated as well) and said the front left tire was out of balance. There is less vibration now, but it's still there - although now it feels like in the rear (making us wonder if they rotated tires). Before we go back to the dealer again, any ideas? Bad rim, etc.? Thanks!
Old 09-30-08, 11:26 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Wheel(s) or tire(s) -- damaged, defective, or they don't know how to use the balancer. Just tell them that you want it fixed (at no charge) so that there is zero vibration. It should have been perfect after they addressed it the first time.... Good luck.
Old 09-30-08, 12:46 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Have them do a road force balance. Which is balancing the wheels while its on the car. Not many places do this but you should be able to make a few calls around and find a tire dealer that does that.
Old 10-01-08, 10:01 AM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
Have them do a road force balance. Which is balancing the wheels while its on the car. Not many places do this but you should be able to make a few calls around and find a tire dealer that does that.
do what he says.
Old 10-02-08, 06:15 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by airtime
Personally, I would only do that as a last resort -- if I could not find the real problem during this period when the Dealer may correct whatever is actually at fault. If everything is RIGHT -- no problems with the wheels, tires, or vehicle rotating assemblies such a rotors or axles -- road force balancing is NOT needed. The downside with road force balancing is that it can be used to compensate for some sort of problem or issue with the vehicle that shouldn't be present in the first place. If you have no problems with the wheels, no problems with the tires, and no problems elsewhere, AND the shop knows how to properly balance the wheel/tire assembly, the car will run out perfectly at all speeds.
Old 10-02-08, 07:01 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I6turbo
Personally, I would only do that as a last resort -- if I could not find the real problem during this period when the Dealer may correct whatever is actually at fault. If everything is RIGHT -- no problems with the wheels, tires, or vehicle rotating assemblies such a rotors or axles -- road force balancing is NOT needed. The downside with road force balancing is that it can be used to compensate for some sort of problem or issue with the vehicle that shouldn't be present in the first place. If you have no problems with the wheels, no problems with the tires, and no problems elsewhere, AND the shop knows how to properly balance the wheel/tire assembly, the car will run out perfectly at all speeds.

I agree.

This car should not vibrate. Period.
If it does, there is either an issue with incorrect balance, defective tires, defective or damaged rims and as a less plausable scenario, warped rotors, poor wheel alignment or loose suspension bits, like ball joints, control arms, etc...
Dealer must check all of these things if balancing the tires does not do the trick.
You've paid a top dollar for it, it is still under warranty (I assume), so they have to make it right.

Good luck.
Old 10-02-08, 10:58 AM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks all.

I will push the dealer to fix this as I agree we paid too much for this car to settle. And it's not a Chevy... Car is under warranty until 125,000 (100K certified and 25K extended warranty on top of that) so I'm not TOO worried but want to drive the car I thought I was buying.

I LOVE everything else about it!
Old 10-06-08, 08:16 PM
mv10s
Driver School Candidate

It could be a bad air suspension. The cost to replace one is $1200. Before i had the bad air suspension replaced i got the tires balanced and rotated. It helped a little but I think it was because I drove slower. Now, the car is back to normal, smooth and quiet.
Old 10-07-08, 06:30 AM
GeorgeT
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What brand of tires? Wheels and tires can be in balance but a tire can be out-of-round. If this is the case, the wheel and tire will appear to be balanced but you will still get a vibration. Your tire dealer can easily check this. At the same time, have them check the run-out for a warped wheel.
Old 10-07-08, 07:45 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeT
What brand of tires? Wheels and tires can be in balance but a tire can be out-of-round. If this is the case, the wheel and tire will appear to be balanced but you will still get a vibration. Your tire dealer can easily check this. At the same time, have them check the run-out for a warped wheel.
I had the same problem with a brand new set of Primacy MXV4 tires! Only until I found a shop with the Hunter Road Force Balancer did the problem go away. Now it's smooth as silk.
Old 10-07-08, 04:59 PM
NYC/FL Lex
Driver School Candidate

Is the vibraton all around or is it limited to one side or one corner? I have an 05 as well and at speeds over 60, I started feeling a vibration in the right front, sort of a rrrrring sound. After continued checking, it turned out that the right front spindle the most minor damage, which they said was probably from hitting a pot hole at high speed. But at 60 plus, that minor damage could be felt. Once the spindle was replaced, the car got an alignment and was fine thereafter.
Old 10-08-08, 09:08 AM
BrianJ
Driver

Originally Posted by NYC/FL Lex
it turned out that the right front spindle the most minor damage
Can you elaborate on how the minor damage was discovered? Where there any visual cues?
Old 10-08-08, 10:07 AM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

take it to the dealership and have them go on a test drive with you in the car where the behavior could be pointed out and leave the car there and tell them to call you when its fixed.....dont indulge in doing things were the dealer could turn around and say that the problem is a result of your indulgence. Usually, if it is under warranty i let the dealer figure out what the problem is....even though i know what the problem is!!! Hold the sales survey hostage till they resolve the problem!!
Old 10-08-08, 03:18 PM
BrianJ
Driver

I am experiencing the same problems as noted by NYC/FL Lex. I, too, hear wirrling/buffering noise with wheel vibration. Took the head mechanic on a test drive and he told me it was harmonics and there's nothing he can do..... If there are visual cues, I can ask him to look for it.
Old 10-09-08, 09:34 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrianJ
... Took the head mechanic on a test drive and he told me it was harmonics and there's nothing he can do.....
Sounds like his mission is to make you go away instead of fix the problem. Probably have to stay on him or find another mechanic. If this is a Lexus dealer ask to speak with the GM and ask him if he agrees that Lexus' flagship vehicle in fact has a harmonics problem that can't be fixed? And if so, would he please put that in writing for you.