LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 headlight aim

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 10:54 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LS430 headlight aim

FINALLY !!!! Pulled the trigger and got an '04 LS430 black/black with CL and smartaccess. Love the not having to take the key out because the fob is super "battle damaged." 38K for $28K before all was said and done. Price was not great, but experience and finance terms were good, so we were comfortable with it.

Did have a question on the headlights. I've driven HID vehicles before and the horizon line of the beams create a "straight" line across, but on the LS, it's sort of a "step" where the driver's side is lower than the passenger's side. So, when you look from left to right, it goes in a line, then at one point, it goes up and continues the line. Very strange. Is this normal, or is there an alignment issue?

Also, how far is the beam suppose to cast? Mine feels very low compared to other's I've driven.

"My last gas vehicle ever !!!"

Last edited by AlexusAnja; 10-07-08 at 10:55 AM. Reason: changed ML to CL
Old 10-07-08, 11:37 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
FINALLY !!!! Pulled the trigger and got an '04 LS430 black/black with CL and smartaccess. Love the not having to take the key out because the fob is super "battle damaged." 38K for $28K before all was said and done. Price was not great, but experience and finance terms were good, so we were comfortable with it.

Did have a question on the headlights. I've driven HID vehicles before and the horizon line of the beams create a "straight" line across, but on the LS, it's sort of a "step" where the driver's side is lower than the passenger's side. So, when you look from left to right, it goes in a line, then at one point, it goes up and continues the line. Very strange. Is this normal, or is there an alignment issue?

Also, how far is the beam suppose to cast? Mine feels very low compared to other's I've driven.

"My last gas vehicle ever !!!"
Its actually a step higher. But you might want to attach a pic so we can see to what extent is the issue you are describing.
Old 10-07-08, 08:14 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea mine does the same thing
Old 10-07-08, 08:23 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by froboy272
yea mine does the same thing
I had the tech ck the headlights and he said it was fine, so i guess that is how it is.

BTW congrats on the new LS! And.....

Old 10-07-08, 08:36 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

lol

Originally Posted by Tee
I had the tech ck the headlights and he said it was fine, so i guess that is how it is.

Old 10-07-08, 09:03 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've just upgraded from only driving with nasty halogen to the best in the industry HID lighting/output. What you are seeing is the OE DOT cutoff, something that all OE HID projectors will show on the wall. Some have more color in the cutoff, and others won't. Here is a good example of a nice cutoff.

TFX Projectors and new Philips 85122+ bulbs.

The color!

The car!

Last edited by emoshun; 10-07-08 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-07-08, 09:14 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

But I think I know what you are trying to say, you're saying that instead of seeing a normal step, you are seeing a stair step, as in you see the driver side step, then a line, then the passenger side step comes up out like an additional step?

If that, then yes, you need to adjust the alignment, if no, then its normal like the pictures above.
Old 10-07-08, 09:24 PM
jman-LS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
FINALLY !!!! Pulled the trigger and got an '04 LS430 black/black with CL and smartaccess.

Did have a question on the headlights.
Hey, congrats on the new LS. You finally found something that made you bite the bullet eh? I hope that you feel you made the right decision in the long run. I think your decision to go with the '04 was a better choice than going with the '01 you were considering.

And thanks so much for posting this thread on your headlights. I had planned to post the same thing but never got around to it.
Old 10-07-08, 09:53 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by emoshun

what car is that?
Old 10-07-08, 10:00 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Scion Tc!
Old 10-07-08, 11:21 PM
Carmelstev
Rookie

Hi and congratulations on your acquisition. I had the same questions when I bought mine. I'd had HID before on my Acura's, but never such a sharp cutoff. I found mine too low without enough throw for my taste. I adjusted them higher and am much happier. One thing that's nice about that sharp cutoff is that I was able to adjust them higher without blinding anyone. I've never once been flashed in the LS while I was flashed often in the Acura's.

Steve
Old 10-08-08, 07:10 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Pictures...

Originally Posted by Tee

DOH, you're right. Sorry, but I did not have time last night to post these. Anyway, this is what I'm talking about:

See how there is a "step" and then another "step" at the further horizon. I now that one is cast off of the other, but is this normal? With TL and CTS, have not seen this "stepping" and it's bothersome of sorts. Can this be adjust higher as someone else has posted?
Attached Thumbnails LS430 headlight aim-img_9310_cutoff.jpg  
Old 10-08-08, 07:13 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Cast off

Also, this is the distance thing I was talking about. The LS430 seems to be bright up front (too close) and then trail to the yellow line. The TL seems to be having a bright cast further out, but I must admit the TL seems to just end the light at the line, with no further casting of light.

Is this also normal for the LS430?

Thanks everyone thus far, and yes... no regrets about price and LOVE LOVE LOVE the car. Dream car come true !!!!
Attached Thumbnails LS430 headlight aim-img_9311_cast_off.jpg  
Old 10-08-08, 07:46 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah you need to adjust your headlights, and i agree the 04-06 LS 430 has the best HID's i have seen far as light output.

Oh can we see pics of your new dream come true?
Old 10-08-08, 10:27 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

First off, I want you to take some wall shots like I have shown above. Park on level ground about 30' from a wall, and you should see both of your cutoff's on the wall. If you don't, do the following.

Measure the projector height from the center of your projector to the ground. That number of inches should olny decrease by like 1-2" by measuring the height of your cutoff on the wall. For example if your projector height is 35" then your cutoff height should be no less than 33" from the ground. Got it!

Your owners manual should help you adjust headlight aim, if not, then dealer if you don't feel like tackling it yourself.

Last edited by emoshun; 10-08-08 at 10:32 PM.

Quick Reply: LS430 headlight aim