LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Lexus Customer Service, I miss my Acura

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-08 | 06:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
This definitely has to do with the dealer....I know someone who got thier sunshade fixed in a Avalon Limited under warranty....from Toyota....Check with another dealer and confirm....that has to be covered under the warranty. Call the Lexus hotline and complain...If something was broken due to user error then I understand the dealer refusing to pay....but if the part is faulty then its a warranty item.
I agreed.

I can't see how the rear power sunshade are not cover by the platnium bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 10-12-08 | 07:35 PM
LEX012006
Driver

I had a "Lexus" extended warranty which cover the majority of the components on my 97, but it did not cover the rear view mirror (it had stop dimming when high beams hit it) and the heated seats stop working (the heating element "sewn" into the seat leather shorted). No extended warranty covers all repairs!!!!!

As a goodwill gesture, the dealer can repair it at no charge to you (so be careful when you complain about the coverage.....they might not be so quick to help you if you cuss them out - Lord knows there are dealers out there that need a good cussing some time!!!!!!!!!!!!!).
Old 10-13-08 | 06:15 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by usermel
Try another dealerships or two over the phone and ask if they can replace it under your warranty and if they can go to your dealer and let them know you checked on it.
And while you're at it, ask the other dealerships what they have for loaner cars. Wouldn't want you to be slumming in an ES if they have better cars available.
Old 10-13-08 | 06:46 AM
lotus
Rookie

I have a 2004 LS430 and 3 months before the factory warranty expired, JM Lexus replaced the whole sunshade as one of the plastic poles broke, they did it without question.

Maybe I missed something, but isn't your car still covered under the factory warranty? It is also important to try atleast one other Lexus dealer, sometimes I think the team at the dealer can be too conservative.
Old 10-14-08 | 05:03 AM
Kaiserseal
Driver School Candidate

The car is not a CPO, I posted in a new thread the ebay link from the sale. Sorry to confuse with the 80K price, I have no idea what this cost new, it is a number I have heard tossed around. I think ours is pretty much loaded so unless the UL can fly, I don't think there is much more that can be put in the car.

I am still waiting for customer service to get back to me on the sun shade. The only other problem with the car was one of the keys did not work unless in the ignition. The dealer told me it was a valet key, and that all was fine. I showed it to the service manager, and asked why it had all the same buttons, and he called in his lead mechanic to determine it was a master key. So perhaps this Lexus dealership is not quite up to task. Now I am waiting to find out if my key is covered.

The Warranty I purchased is the 7/100 platinum which will cover me from the original purchase date 10/06 to 10/13 if my math is right. That will give me no worries for five years. I know these cars have a great repair history, but it is used, sorry "pre-owned" and the guy on this forum Toby from Shreveport Lexus hooked me up about 40% less on from what I was quoted locally. So for a little more than $350 a year, I am covered. I don't know what the repairs cost on this car, but with so much tech, I am glad to have a warranty I should not have to use.

Unless the dealer is lying, they called in the warranty repair to Lexus, and it was refused by corporate. Dealers don't lie. Do they?

Last edited by Kaiserseal; 10-14-08 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-14-08 | 09:04 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Now that everything is clear, the $26k price make sense.
Old 10-14-08 | 09:35 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Default I agree with this man 100%!!!!

Originally Posted by JDMUSCLE
This definitely has to do with the dealer....I know someone who got thier sunshade fixed in a Avalon Limited under warranty....from Toyota....Check with another dealer and confirm....that has to be covered under the warranty. Call the Lexus hotline and complain...If something was broken due to user error then I understand the dealer refusing to pay....but if the part is faulty then its a warranty item.
Most good dealerships will replace this item. If not under warranty they may/may not but, like JDMUSCLE stated if you didnt break the item and it was faulty which I think that's what your issue is they will replace it. I dont know for sure but, I imagine your warranty was an extension of the previous one,if not I can't call it but that said, most good dealerships would replace items that were factory installed that are faulty when not broken by the owner. JD and I agree that you should make more calls to see what your told by a few other dealers.

Like here in VA Beach/Norfolk,VA Charles Barker Lexus tends to cover almost all items even after warranty if its say no more than 3,000-5,000 miles over the warranty. They do it for customer relationships more to maintain future biz. I have had my issues with Charles Barker with sales pricing being there the only dealer in the area(they also have a dealership in Newport News,VA 20 miles from the VA Beach dealership in the same metro area) they have the Lexus sales of new cars on lock. You have to go 85-90 miles to Richmond for a new car. That said, they have a excellent service department and I have no complaints with that portion of there business.

They are always helpful to concerns of care up keep and admit when cars have issues and replace those items free of charge. Your issue seems to be a known issue and should be a Service bulletin item. Cost is a factor as well with a down economy!

L.G.N.M
Old 10-14-08 | 09:51 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Wow!

Originally Posted by Kaiserseal
The car is not a CPO, I posted in a new thread the ebay link from the sale. Sorry to confuse with the 80K price, I have no idea what this cost new, it is a number I have heard tossed around. I think ours is pretty much loaded so unless the UL can fly, I don't think there is much more that can be put in the car.

I am still waiting for customer service to get back to me on the sun shade. The only other problem with the car was one of the keys did not work unless in the ignition. The dealer told me it was a valet key, and that all was fine. I showed it to the service manager, and asked why it had all the same buttons, and he called in his lead mechanic to determine it was a master key. So perhaps this Lexus dealership is not quite up to task. Now I am waiting to find out if my key is covered.

The Warranty I purchased is the 7/100 platinum which will cover me from the original purchase date 10/06 to 10/13 if my math is right. That will give me no worries for five years. I know these cars have a great repair history, but it is used, sorry "pre-owned" and the guy on this forum Toby from Shreveport Lexus hooked me up about 40% less on from what I was quoted locally. So for a little more than $350 a year, I am covered. I don't know what the repairs cost on this car, but with so much tech, I am glad to have a warranty I should not have to use.

Unless the dealer is lying, they called in the warranty repair to Lexus, and it was refused by corporate. Dealers don't lie. Do they?
I see your problems clear now. The dealer can be willing to help out and fix this item. Maybe,maybe the previous owner had an issue with the shade and didnt repair it during warranty. If your just above 55,000 miles it would seem possible the sunshade didn't just become damaged. I think it was faulty myself and not your fault or the previous owners. The thing is,the dealer may just refuse to eat the cost of the part and repair. This is my issue with the warranties that are sold. Why sell a warranty to a customer or car owner that doesnt cover all items. Warranties at times are useful but like the one in your case they become useful if you have a car that most likely wont have engine issues if kept up right.

I feel for you bro, paying for a warranty and being told it's a item not covered,WOW! Keep seeing if anyone else has info and if not I say do the repair out of pocket if it bothers you not to be able to use it. If you can drive it without using the sunshade then i say don't even replace it until you sell it to someone else. Find out the price and save a few bucks a month till you have the parts and labor saved is also an option. Just some ideas bro, all the best to you.
Old 10-14-08 | 01:28 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

The price is good. Auction price is about 25K, so 26k is very nice deal.

By the way how much is warranty from Lexus?
Old 10-14-08 | 02:58 PM
Kaiserseal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advise all, just got a call from corporate and they said they are working with the dealer. Truth, I would probably never use the shade, we tinted real dark. I took the car in for brakes, and figured as long as it is in, fix the only thing that is broken. I could probably fix it myself, but using rubber bands, tape and glue is what you expect to do with a Chevy.

As for cost, that guy on the board toby charged me $1800 and change, I don't remember the exact figure. I posted in a thread, how to buy a 06 for 26 my ebay link and pricing figures. No complaint about the kind of car for the money. My daily driver is a RAV4 V6, I drive the Lexus on weekends. I feel like I am in a Rolls after driving the RAV. Paid more for the RAV then the Lexus. My wife, the manager of a Burger King, drives the Lexus to work. The store owner thinks it cost about 50K. Makes her feel good.
Old 10-16-08 | 10:04 AM
Kaiserseal
Driver School Candidate

The Drama continues with a happy ending. Lexus customer service called me back, and told me it was a trim item, that the sunshade cost $1400, and they would split the bill with me. They also said that they would replace the bill for free. I told them that I was an attorney, and had not yet read the arbitration clause, but wanted to begin the process. She directed me to call Lexus Financial, the administrator of the warranty.

Called Lexus Financial, explained the problem with no threat of Arbitration, and was told the key and sunshade was covered. He explained that if the dealer does not document the problem correctly it could be refused, further, it may have been a new guy on his side.
Old 10-16-08 | 06:19 PM
CarguyinGa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by usermel
I see your problems clear now. The dealer can be willing to help out and fix this item. Maybe,maybe the previous owner had an issue with the shade and didnt repair it during warranty. If your just above 55,000 miles it would seem possible the sunshade didn't just become damaged. I think it was faulty myself and not your fault or the previous owners. The thing is,the dealer may just refuse to eat the cost of the part and repair. This is my issue with the warranties that are sold. Why sell a warranty to a customer or car owner that doesnt cover all items. Warranties at times are useful but like the one in your case they become useful if you have a car that most likely wont have engine issues if kept up right.

I feel for you bro, paying for a warranty and being told it's a item not covered,WOW! Keep seeing if anyone else has info and if not I say do the repair out of pocket if it bothers you not to be able to use it. If you can drive it without using the sunshade then i say don't even replace it until you sell it to someone else. Find out the price and save a few bucks a month till you have the parts and labor saved is also an option. Just some ideas bro, all the best to you.
Well I hope they are smart enough to not "EAT" it, he bought the car from someone else on eBay, that would be a financially ignorant move for a non selling dealer to absorb the cost of a repair to a car they made nothing from.
Old 10-16-08 | 06:57 PM
CarguyinGa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kaiserseal
The Drama continues with a happy ending. Lexus customer service called me back, and told me it was a trim item, that the sunshade cost $1400, and they would split the bill with me. They also said that they would replace the bill for free. I told them that I was an attorney, and had not yet read the arbitration clause, but wanted to begin the process. She directed me to call Lexus Financial, the administrator of the warranty.

Called Lexus Financial, explained the problem with no threat of Arbitration, and was told the key and sunshade was covered. He explained that if the dealer does not document the problem correctly it could be refused, further, it may have been a new guy on his side.
It's so nice to see a federal agent admit to lying.

Does the paperwork state clearly that the warranty is administered by Lexus, or was it just a warranty that a Lexus dealer sold you?

I think you want the world delivered to you on a silver platter from reading your posts so far. You got the car for almost nothing considering what it is, you showed no devotion to the dealer at all by buying it from an eBay seller (you owed them nothing, so that's your option), you also bought the warranty from a dealer in Louisiana instead of the local dealer (your option again). Suddenly it seems the dealer is supposed to jump through hoops to make you happy by fixing problems that were present when you bought an out of warranty car ( or at least it was present within 10 days of your purchase). If the warranty company denies the claim, there is nothing else I can see that the dealer needs to do. Dealers are independently owned and they have to make money to keep the doors open. I'm pretty sure they'd love to do the repair if it was a covered item, they make $$$ doing that. The typical markup that warranties pay to dealers is very big on parts. Many factory warranties pay dealers a 40% markup on warranty repairs in addition to labor and administrative allowances per claim.

You should contact the warranty company yourself and reference your list of items covered by it, specifically you need to scrutinize the "what isn't covered" in the policy. The nitwits on customer service lines are trained to appease people with complaints, not that they will solve your problem always, but they did get you chilled out with whatever they told you.

The dealer apparently is going by the guidelines of doing the things they should in administering coverages, the Roadside assistance is a 4 yr program, regardless of mileage, from the car's in service date. They performed that service without hesitation since it was within the policy limits.

The eBay listing was hopefully more detailed than what shows currently, I saw one pic and very little information other than the VIN and mileage, huge ***** to buy it if that was what was showing when you purchased it!

Keep this in mind, your extent of being a Lexus CUSTOMER so far is the brake job, you are a Lexus owner. People that do transactions that channel money back to Lexus are considered customers. Put yourself in the same position mentally as them, the only gain they have is to maybe get you to become devoted to them and make you a future customer.
Old 10-18-08 | 05:47 AM
Kaiserseal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CarguyinGa
It's so nice to see a federal agent admit to lying.

Does the paperwork state clearly that the warranty is administered by Lexus, or was it just a warranty that a Lexus dealer sold you?

I think you want the world delivered to you on a silver platter from reading your posts so far. You got the car for almost nothing considering what it is, you showed no devotion to the dealer at all by buying it from an eBay seller (you owed them nothing, so that's your option), you also bought the warranty from a dealer in Louisiana instead of the local dealer (your option again). Suddenly it seems the dealer is supposed to jump through hoops to make you happy by fixing problems that were present when you bought an out of warranty car ( or at least it was present within 10 days of your purchase). If the warranty company denies the claim, there is nothing else I can see that the dealer needs to do. Dealers are independently owned and they have to make money to keep the doors open. I'm pretty sure they'd love to do the repair if it was a covered item, they make $$$ doing that. The typical markup that warranties pay to dealers is very big on parts. Many factory warranties pay dealers a 40% markup on warranty repairs in addition to labor and administrative allowances per claim.

You should contact the warranty company yourself and reference your list of items covered by it, specifically you need to scrutinize the "what isn't covered" in the policy. The nitwits on customer service lines are trained to appease people with complaints, not that they will solve your problem always, but they did get you chilled out with whatever they told you.

The dealer apparently is going by the guidelines of doing the things they should in administering coverages, the Roadside assistance is a 4 yr program, regardless of mileage, from the car's in service date. They performed that service without hesitation since it was within the policy limits.

The eBay listing was hopefully more detailed than what shows currently, I saw one pic and very little information other than the VIN and mileage, huge ***** to buy it if that was what was showing when you purchased it!

Keep this in mind, your extent of being a Lexus CUSTOMER so far is the brake job, you are a Lexus owner. People that do transactions that channel money back to Lexus are considered customers. Put yourself in the same position mentally as them, the only gain they have is to maybe get you to become devoted to them and make you a future customer.
Wow, you obviously had some venting to do, so I assume you work for, or have experience in a car dealership. If this is the case, I understand your frustration, but...

First, a lot of Feds are lawyers, I am a grad of the LSU law center, Go Tigers, and a member of the Washington Bar. About 90% of my office holds law degrees. If you see me post that I am a Maxim photographer thats the fantasy, being a lawyer, not so much. And yes, I do lie, go ahead, ask me how good I was in High School Football.

Second, I try as spend as much as possible in Louisiana, they need and deserve it, and it is my old home. The dealer also charged me quite a bit less than my local dealer would. A fair price earns my business. My warranty is underwritten by Toyota Financial Services, and has a Lexus part number.

Third, went to Lexus of Pembroke Pines first, test drove an 05 CPO, they wanted 41K I paid 26.7K for an 06 off ebay, the dealerships are 15 miles apart, if you would have paid more for the older car, PM me, I would like to invite you to my weekly poker night.

Forth Devotion- I am devoted to my family, my local Lexus dealer, not even close. Over charging for their cars, and service, may make them feel like family, but they are not.

Fifth Jump through Hoops, Hmmm honor a contract for repair at a Lexus Dealer, on a Lexus product, underwritten by Lexus. Perhaps I am a bit unreasonable here.

The end all was my local Lexus dealer failed to properly document the defects resulting in the claim not being allowed. It took my call to the underwriter's office to get the claim approved. They could not tell the difference between a master key, and a valet key, and did not take the time to look up the proper repair codes. The person who processed my claim performed poorly. My experience with Acura, was always positive, this was my first experience with Lexus. When the tranny blew on my MDX, 5000mi out of warranty, the dealer took charge, and got Acura to pay the bill because it was a low mile SUV, and I could expect more from Acura. New or Used, regardless of where I bought my car, I purchased a car still under warranty, and extended that warranty for five more years. I am entitled to what I paid for, as much as a new car purchaser, making claims under the same contract.
Old 10-18-08 | 11:32 AM
LEX012006
Driver

I used to work for Acura and I know how American Honda Corporation work, if you are the original owner and maintain the vehicle, they have no problem assisting with repairs. Most of the time they would cover the repairs in full. Sometime they request your participation if the miles on the vehicle are very high. But Acura as well as Honda give till it hurts. I remember talking to a representative at one of the call centers and his comment was "when will these customers oen there cars". Some customers think the macufacturer should take care of issues that happen to their cars regardless of the miles "they" put on it. Unlike Lexus, Honda gives until it hurts. BMW is also like that too. But just like Honda, you have to be the original owner.
That does says something for ownership. Maybe Lexus would be more giving if you were the original owner??????

Quick Reply: Lexus Customer Service, I miss my Acura