LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

8 inch sub blew again..

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 08:27 AM
tvdias
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have to crank your system to 50 and it's still not loud enough, I think you better get your hearing checked. Thanks to the IPOD and the infatuation some people have with it and the earbud style headphones, we have a serious issue with hearing impairment in the newer generations. Many of them have lost well over 50% of their hearing before the age of 30....

Vern
Old 10-15-08, 10:47 AM
OMesh
Driver School Candidate

The system in the LS400 is definitely more durable than the one in the 430. I have been kind of dissapointed in the way the components blow out in the LS430 stereo. Regardless of what people say about ML, sure it is clear but when you pay so much for a system, it has to be durable and cranking it up with everything stock should not blow it just like that. I'm actually trying now to see if there is an alternative out there to where I preserve my factory look but gut out the system and install something that gives me what I need in terms of music and won't break when I need that bit of excitement in my music. Any suggestions??
Old 10-15-08, 11:22 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OMesh
The system in the LS400 is definitely more durable than the one in the 430. I have been kind of dissapointed in the way the components blow out in the LS430 stereo. Regardless of what people say about ML, sure it is clear but when you pay so much for a system, it has to be durable and cranking it up with everything stock should not blow it just like that. I'm actually trying now to see if there is an alternative out there to where I preserve my factory look but gut out the system and install something that gives me what I need in terms of music and won't break when I need that bit of excitement in my music. Any suggestions??

For that you'll need to change all the speakers including the sub and the apmlifier.
Old 10-16-08, 07:05 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
For that you'll need to change all the speakers including the sub and the apmlifier.
dont forget about the wiring. what good is having great speakers and amps if the power going from the amp to the speakers is insufficient or not clean due to line loss. if your gonna do something do it right. speakers, amps, wiring, and sealed enclosure woofer is the way to do a real system
Old 10-17-08, 07:19 PM
Cheesaleo
Driver School Candidate

Well here's some small advice although u dont have to follow it. Go to your local Best Buy Store and purchase a 10" Subwoofer, the "right" amp, Rockford Fosgate Amp-Kit, and lastly a 10" single subwoofer truck box for the subwoofer.

First, Have the ampkit pre-wired by Best Buy or at a local sound professional....this may cost up to $100-$120 tops to have done. Second, while your amp kit is being installed tell the installers to remove your stock-sub and then just have your truck subwoofer-box in the trunk of your car. Lastly, if the installer is an idoit they'll probably try to drill/screw your amp to the trunk of your car....tell them "do not drill" because your gas tank is under the trunk of your car, and I recommend strongly for the life of your car and you that they should not drill holes in the trunk because it will puncture the gas tank.

As far as qaulity sounds go, you should never have to replace this sub for years down the line, and also you'll have a great concert like sound....even people at gas stations will be beggin you on how you get a sub installed. I did that to my 99' GS3. WoW
Old 10-20-08, 01:35 AM
03 LS 430
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Cheesaleo
Well here's some small advice although u dont have to follow it. Go to your local Best Buy Store and purchase a 10" Subwoofer, the "right" amp, Rockford Fosgate Amp-Kit, and lastly a 10" single subwoofer truck box for the subwoofer.

First, Have the ampkit pre-wired by Best Buy or at a local sound professional....this may cost up to $100-$120 tops to have done. Second, while your amp kit is being installed tell the installers to remove your stock-sub and then just have your truck subwoofer-box in the trunk of your car. Lastly, if the installer is an idoit they'll probably try to drill/screw your amp to the trunk of your car....tell them "do not drill" because your gas tank is under the trunk of your car, and I recommend strongly for the life of your car and you that they should not drill holes in the trunk because it will puncture the gas tank.

As far as qaulity sounds go, you should never have to replace this sub for years down the line, and also you'll have a great concert like sound....even people at gas stations will be beggin you on how you get a sub installed. I did that to my 99' GS3. WoW
thanks pal your the second person that told me about the rockford. ima give it a shot
Old 10-22-08, 12:00 PM
David M
Driver

So you guys are all about volume and not quality. I would never have dreamed that, since you wanted an ML system. Ideally, you can get volume WITH quality but it ain't gonna happen in these price ranges, IMO.
Old 10-22-08, 12:27 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually levinson system is weak, nothing compares to a seperate amp and sub.

the silicon seal is a great, effective fix. the ML subs cost over 250 bucks to replace and the foam surround tears very easily. The silicon re-attaches it without any issues.

besides, once the grille on on, you don't see the silicon.

and fyi, the ML sub is not very durable, played loud or not, it will break down eventually.

Originally Posted by froboy272
im not really sure how all of you guys keep blowing out woofers and then complain about the levinson speakers. first of all levinson is one of the more highly reguarded systems to anyone who is audio enthoused. 2nd....are you guys blasting your systems to the point of distortion and just ignoring it? i have very pitch sensitive ears and can hear and pin point distortion almost instantly. to blow a woofer you must be ignoring distortion and possibly even pushing further after that point. this is your own fault for not respecting what the system was designed for. if you want chest pounding base put some crossovers in and setup a sealed enclosure in the trunk like many members have already done here.

silicon is a joke and i would never even imagine putting it on my speakers nevermind a subwoofer. these levinson speakers are made to be balanced through the onboard EQ to perform and display audio clarity at a reasonable volume. if you need to have the windows down and blast music for the whole city to hear then spend the money and replace the speakers AND wiring AND amps in the car and you will have no problems.

not to lecture or be rude or anythign especially since im new here and to the LS but my god we drive luxury sedans here and people are putting bathroom tub surround material on the speakers they blow to try and fix them....
Old 10-22-08, 02:59 PM
03 LS 430
Pit Crew

Wink

Originally Posted by mikemareen

the silicon seal is a great, effective fix. the ML subs cost over 250 bucks to replace and the foam surround tears very easily. The silicon re-attaches it without any issues.

and fyi, the ML sub is not very durable, played loud or not, it will break down eventually.
its not dat..it is call saving money
Old 10-22-08, 03:05 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

silicon?? seriously? ok, if one wants a durable "repair" of a sub, wouldn't one want to use something like superglue?
Old 10-22-08, 03:11 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

super glue, silicon...what difference does it make ?

silicon was chosen because it has "stretch" characteristics similar to that of foam. But I'm sure super glue would have worked just as good.

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
silicon?? seriously? ok, if one wants a durable "repair" of a sub, wouldn't one want to use something like superglue?
Old 10-23-08, 08:17 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I need to replace my sub but haven't even looked at the job yet. Is there any special trick to accessing and removing it?
Old 10-23-08, 08:21 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

if it's just your surrounds that starting tear, then u don't need to remove it.

pop open the grille, press the foam surround to see if they are starting to detach. If so then throw silicon glue to re-attach it.

a lot of times the surround foam starts to detach, but the sub itself is in good working condition.

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I need to replace my sub but haven't even looked at the job yet. Is there any special trick to accessing and removing it?
Old 10-23-08, 04:27 PM
03 LS 430
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by mikemareen

win u say seperate amp and sub...what u really mean..taking the navi out and running speaker wirer..y i just tap into the sub line n go from there.
Old 10-23-08, 06:26 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 03 LS 430
win u say seperate amp and sub...what u really mean..taking the navi out and running speaker wirer..y i just tap into the sub line n go from there.
you cannot do that because the amp is going to require more power from your car than the sub line to the ML provides.

do this the right way. have a professional run 2 or 0 guage cable to your drunk and mount the amp and sealed subwoofer enclosure to a piece of MDF wood. i went to my local stereo shop and got black carpet which i glued onto a 3/4 piece of MDF. This blends right into the trunk and looks clean while still providing the sound your looking for without sliding all over the trunk.

as for the repair thing and saving money....no one looks at speakers anyway thats not why i said not to use silicon. subwoofers create tons of air movement (how they work duh) and require some flexibility in the surround of the speaker to function to the best extent. please stop using tub and toilet caulk to fix your speakers its like putting a band aid on a leaky pipe...may work for a while but after a bit ur ankle deep in $h!t again.

Quick Reply: 8 inch sub blew again..