LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

8 inch sub blew again..

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-08, 02:04 PM
03 LS 430
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 8 inch sub blew again..

can n e body insturct me on how to add an amp and speaker box without messing up the stock amp...this is my second sub i replaced but this time this one is shorting out..i bought had it with the ml and just want to add a speaker with an amp in the trunk..any suggesting..step by step would be wonderful.sumthing nice and cheap but effective.
Old 10-13-08, 02:20 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default blown amp?

Originally Posted by 03 LS 430
can n e body insturct me on how to add an amp and speaker box without messing up the stock amp...this is my second sub i replaced but this time this one is shorting out..i bought had it with the ml and just want to add a speaker with an amp in the trunk..any suggesting..step by step would be wonderful.sumthing nice and cheap but effective.
Can't help you with your sub & amp issue, but did want to know how you know your sub is blown? Are you hearing static noise from the "speaker?" I just got my LS and honestly, I'm not that impressed. The bass seems kind of flat and nothing fancy to "write home to mom" about. How would you test the sub?
Old 10-13-08, 02:43 PM
03 LS 430
Pit Crew

play any jay z cd...but if u hear rat ta tat while playing ur cd,s den ur speaker izz ripped.but if nothin **** out den u got a short like i do..de ml subs are trash.i not buying no more repairing no more.just want to add a bass box
Old 10-13-08, 07:46 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not really sure how all of you guys keep blowing out woofers and then complain about the levinson speakers. first of all levinson is one of the more highly reguarded systems to anyone who is audio enthoused. 2nd....are you guys blasting your systems to the point of distortion and just ignoring it? i have very pitch sensitive ears and can hear and pin point distortion almost instantly. to blow a woofer you must be ignoring distortion and possibly even pushing further after that point. this is your own fault for not respecting what the system was designed for. if you want chest pounding base put some crossovers in and setup a sealed enclosure in the trunk like many members have already done here.

silicon is a joke and i would never even imagine putting it on my speakers nevermind a subwoofer. these levinson speakers are made to be balanced through the onboard EQ to perform and display audio clarity at a reasonable volume. if you need to have the windows down and blast music for the whole city to hear then spend the money and replace the speakers AND wiring AND amps in the car and you will have no problems.

not to lecture or be rude or anythign especially since im new here and to the LS but my god we drive luxury sedans here and people are putting bathroom tub surround material on the speakers they blow to try and fix them....
Old 10-13-08, 08:36 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^ You would be right except the subs blow even at decent volume levels of bass producing music (hip hop). Not sure what you listen to or your level of luck for that matter, but these subs are a joke and break way too easily.
Old 10-13-08, 08:50 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

house and hiphop volume at around 40
Old 10-14-08, 01:57 AM
03 LS 430
Pit Crew

thanks pal u feel my pain..now help me remdy the soulition
Old 10-14-08, 07:44 AM
froboy272
Pole Position

what volume are you guys listening to music at?
Old 10-14-08, 07:46 AM
froboy272
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 03 LS 430
thanks pal u feel my pain..now help me remdy the soulition
the solution is to purchase the sub / enclosure / amp that you want and bring it to a professional to install so you have a warranty on the work. iv always bought my own parts so i know i have the best equiptment in the car.
Old 10-14-08, 08:19 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

I actually had the my ml sub blown from the start and didn't know how the system sounds with the sub. I bought JL Audio 8W0 8"sub for direct replacement. Now it's installed and the sub is working like it should, but now a new problem: an amp is heating up when the wolume is about 56 and the whole system stops playing. I have to make it lover to about 54 for the system to play normal and somewhat loud. Oh, and if you listen to your music loud you would probably need to change your front speakers too. Mine was ripped when I bought the car, so I glued them with a silikone glue and left it to dry for 24 hours. Next day I crancked it up and my left front speaker blew again. So I just bought new Infiniti Reference 60W RMS 61/2 speakers and installed them myself. Now the system is very loud. The only thing now is to change a stock amp.
Old 10-14-08, 12:11 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

56! At low 40's that **** starts hurting my ears. Do you guys keep the treble and mid's turned all the way down or something.....? I've hit about 45 or so, but thats the most i've done. Certain songs will of course be more bass heavy and you can hear the distortion (bass sounds weird and abnormal). Easy solution, turn it down or adjust the bass level down a bit.

I doubt ML was thinking about us blasting Living Legends or Lupe Fiasco when they designed the system.
Old 10-14-08, 07:00 PM
jonrago
Driver School Candidate

Default Blown Sub

VERY COMMON! and don't let any owners tell you it is not. I have an '01 UL with the ML and have blown out two subs. I do not crank it up either. It is to the point where I am very careful with the EQ and do not add any base. It is so common, my local lexus dealer in Atlanta sends people to a shabby stereo shop to get it reconditioned verus paying $800 for the ML sub. Recon is like $150. PROBLEM; IMO, is that that the free air" sub gets very brittle (especially in hot weather) and the paper rips and needs to be "re-coned." I think the seperation of the ML is fantastic. However, I had an 01 GS430 and I thought it had a better system. Smaller cabin fuller sound.
Old 10-14-08, 10:14 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 54???

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
I actually had the my ml sub blown from the start and didn't know how the system sounds with the sub. I bought JL Audio 8W0 8"sub for direct replacement. Now it's installed and the sub is working like it should, but now a new problem: an amp is heating up when the wolume is about 56 and the whole system stops playing. I have to make it lover to about 54 for the system to play normal and somewhat loud. Oh, and if you listen to your music loud you would probably need to change your front speakers too. Mine was ripped when I bought the car, so I glued them with a silikone glue and left it to dry for 24 hours. Next day I crancked it up and my left front speaker blew again. So I just bought new Infiniti Reference 60W RMS 61/2 speakers and installed them myself. Now the system is very loud. The only thing now is to change a stock amp.
54???? man, you half deaf already then. Why you need a new sub and amp? You need new diaphrams in your ear

I listen to some radio and hip hop now and then, but I find 32 more than enough for my ears. Enjoy your LS brotha, you ain't got to share the love with every other driver around a 10 block radius. If they want to listen to Mark L, they can get their own Lexus.
Old 10-15-08, 08:03 AM
froboy272
Pole Position

no disrespect but this is my point exactly.....you must hear a whole lot of distortion at 54 as i start to in the mid 40's. ONCE YOU HEAR THAT VIBRATION NOISE THATS IT. why do further when u know its just gonna damage your expensive equipment?
Old 10-15-08, 08:08 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
54???? man, you half deaf already then. Why you need a new sub and amp? You need new diaphrams in your ear

I listen to some radio and hip hop now and then, but I find 32 more than enough for my ears. Enjoy your LS brotha, you ain't got to share the love with every other driver around a 10 block radius. If they want to listen to Mark L, they can get their own Lexus.
Do you really think that ML is Loud? The system is very clear and qality but not loud enough for my taste. ( @ home I have 5.1 surround sound 560W and I cranck it up regularly to max). So when I changed the front speakers it became twice as loud in front, so loud that I couldn't hear rear speakers. When I finally received the sub the sound became more direct and focused. Still, If I cranck it up to max the sound will get distorted in some songs but in like 10-15 sec the system will turn off because the amp heats up.
I love music and I will play it as loud as I want (day time) @ home or in the car
By the way I can only see the volume# on the rear entertaiment unit but no on the "navi" screen. Oh, and my equalizer is all middle except base which is 1 up. When the system is crancked up you can't hear it from a block away (you could wth my previous Buick Park Avenue Ultra's stock system).
Oh thanx, I am definetly enjoying my Lexus experience. This is the best car out there

Quick Reply: 8 inch sub blew again..