DO NOT READ if you own a 460

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 10:14 AM
Kaiserseal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by junjdm
so your stating she looks kinda like her? lol
Asian version. You gotta love the Phillipines, Spanish and Asian blood mix up really well. As for me, I am more the Billy Bob Thornton type, instead of Brad Pitt. Guess that why she drives the Lexus, and I drive a RAV4
Old 10-26-08, 10:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I could see that happeneing
Old 10-27-08, 09:13 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Not so easy to identify quickly.

Car by photo location

ES
ES
LS
ES
LS
ES
ES
Old 10-28-08, 08:19 AM
Kaiserseal
Driver School Candidate

Just had an ES loaner. No problem telling the difference from the inside.
Old 10-28-08, 10:07 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

They are very different, however the design language is similar. Thats how it is with many product lines. Bmw's always look alike until your eye trained to decipher the design language, and they wont look the same any longer.

usually its no big deal, as associating a cheaper car with its bigger sibling is no problem

The problem is Lexus introduced all other models before redesigning their flag ship (including the Toyota Camry) this made the LS seem like the Camry, instead of vice versa.

Sometimes its hard to time all the models with the same life cycle, and usually isn't the best idea, however, the LS should have been redesigned FIRST, then had the language trickle down to cheaper cars.
Old 10-29-08, 02:28 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Its the L-finesse.....the new design theme that Lexus is adapting that making these cars all look similar...you guys should see the NEW RX...looks very nice with this new theme!!
Old 10-29-08, 06:50 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

I agree with GRAND_LS_4

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
They are very different, however the design language is similar. Thats how it is with many product lines. Bmw's always look alike until your eye trained to decipher the design language, and they wont look the same any longer.

usually its no big deal, as associating a cheaper car with its bigger sibling is no problem

The problem is Lexus introduced all other models before redesigning their flag ship (including the Toyota Camry) this made the LS seem like the Camry, instead of vice versa.

Sometimes its hard to time all the models with the same life cycle, and usually isn't the best idea, however, the LS should have been redesigned FIRST, then had the language trickle down to cheaper cars.
Old 10-30-08, 12:36 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That's been my complaint all along with the Small, Medium, Large, X-Large approach to the lineup that many mfgrs. are taking now. I liked the way the ES, IS, GS, and LS all looked distinctive in the last generations. I'm not saying that I won't own a 460 someday (though I like driving my modified 430 just as well if not better), I do not like the way they all look the same now.
Old 10-30-08, 02:22 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are only so many different things you can do with a design of a vehicle. If you're too conservative, every magazine says "ho hum, typical boring Japanese design" but then when you try to do something different (i.e. Acura), it's "oh, what a hideous grill..." I haven't heard much of the comments for the new BMW "7" but I'm sure after time it'll be "oh, what beautiful German engineering." The new "7" looks like it could be a Hyundai (not to see the Genesis is not worthy).

But as someone previously said, they need to cycle the vehicles so that the LS is released first, with the "familiy design" and then trickle down to the lower siblings... not the other way around.
Old 11-02-08, 11:29 AM
OBI_agent
Rookie

Oppps.....I read it...haha

Anyway, before we bought it, I already knew it resembles alot to a Camry. But, we still got it because it's alot more then a car design. My dad had such a maintainance free time in his old LS430(close to 7 years) that it was almost impossible not to go with the new LS460L. I'm emphasizing on maintainance alot because he had a horrid time with his previous S class(&*^%$$*....that's what I thought about it).

There is just no car in this class(S class, 7 series, A8) that has such a low maintainance and gives all the comfort together.

Last edited by OBI_agent; 11-02-08 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-02-08, 06:00 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Zoom without the gloom

Originally Posted by OBI_agent
... My dad had such a maintainance free time in his old LS430(close to 7 years) that it was almost impossible not to go with the new LS460L. I'm emphasizing on maintainance alot because he had a horrid time with his previous S class(&*^%$$*....that's what I thought about it).

There is just no car in this class(S class, 7 series, A8) that has such a low maintainance and gives all the comfort together.
Exactly !!! There is no total better package than the LS. Is it the flashiest (no, the A8 takes that now), is it the best handling (no, the 7 or A8 probably takes that), is it the best marque or luxury (no, I give it to MB SLIGHTLY) ??? It doesn't beat everyone in every category, but neither does any of the others. The LS does match each of them very very closely, and the "bulletproof" history is a HUGE plus over all three other marques.

I've had the LS now almost a month, and I am so positive already that I made the perfect choice. It's so luxurious, handles so nicely the "Lexus" way, and it can handle aggressively if called upon to. I'm a DIY'r on most maintenance items and the oil change was probably the easiest of any cars I've had thus far.
Old 11-05-08, 12:29 PM
BLING-EFX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by farquad
i'm sure the ls600hL looks nothing like an ES/camry or anything else from the front
Sorry farquad, but the LS600hL looks the same as the LS460. I went to the dealer with the intent of buying a 07 LS460 and I left with my LS430. My wife drives a 09 Camry and the LS460 I was looking at was her car in a different color and had park assist. I didn't want any other car but the 460 until that dreaded Monday evening when the light got a little brighter!!!
Old 11-13-08, 12:25 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've made the same mistake many times - concerning the Lexus LS and Toyota Camry (latest models). The Camry is too Lexified in my opinion...
Old 11-14-08, 02:41 PM
LSorBS
Driver

I often mistake ES's for LS460s. Its not that the styling isn't elegant enough, it's just that Lexus' lineup has become so uniform that they all look very similar. I agree that this is far superior to the previous mismatched lineup- but at-least you could tell the difference. Would you rather have a 750li? It's very distinct... just maybe not in a good way
Old 11-15-08, 10:16 AM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LSorBS
Would you rather have a 750li? It's very distinct... just maybe not in a good way
I do, and I love it (chose it over an LS460). And your LS would need mods to beat it (noting your signature). I owned an 05 LS430.

Quick Reply: DO NOT READ if you own a 460