LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Hello to everyone (Looking to purchase an LS430 online)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 09:53 AM
jayrey300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello to everyone (Looking to purchase an LS430 online)

Hello everyone.

I have finally signed up here at CL. I am also a member at is300.net/my.is since Oct 2001

Well. I am in the market into getting a GS430 or LS430 since my 01 IS300 (1st owner) I have outgrown and now with 3 little ones, the IS doesnt have the room for it as it just sits in the garage and only driven maybe once every two weeks as we use our odyssey to go around for family trips/etc and my 07' 675 for work.

there is an individual who is selling his/her's 01' LS430 on Craigslist for 6k shipped:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/891621208.html

And it turns out the car is currently in Utah but the license plate frame says McGrath (turns out that it is a lexus dealer somewhere in the Chicago area).

Im kinda skeptical about purchasing this LS430. As this person says he/she is moving to canada and needs to sell it asap. hmm makes you wonder and at a low low price.

On the other hand, ive been searching on the differences between the 01 and 04 and now im leaning towards the 04+ LS ultra.

Im also interested in the GS430 (the last year they have the eshift) but im not sure if i want to pursue the GS family.

For some reason, my wife wants me to look for chrome door handles (exterior). Some reason, she likes chrome door handles. not too sure why. do they make such a thing for the LS? i know that some company out there manufactures a 'chrome -plastic inserts/covers' over the existing door handle. If i can find an LS that already has such a thing, then I will look into purchasing that LS.

Any comment or concern is appreciated! Thank you in advance.
- jay

sfbayarea
Old 10-24-08, 10:22 AM
scottmcc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should run as fast as you can and buy it..!!!! But it is a SCAM.. They have been popping up on EBAY and Craigs list for a while now..

You will find that they want you to send money to a third party and they are in the military or something..

But if it is real that is a steal.. Don't get your hopes up...
Old 10-24-08, 10:29 AM
jayrey300
Driver School Candidate

I still am skeptical about it. I even saw an 02 is300 manual for under 6k with less that 40kmiles. later on the post disappeared. hmm.
Anyway, Im leaning toward an 04'+LS430Ultra because of some of the refinements that are added.

-jason
Old 10-24-08, 10:40 AM
kayotik
Lead Lap

you will love the LS430.. i got one last month and it's amazing....
Old 10-24-08, 10:40 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

The only way to weed through these scams is to ask for the address to "come by and take a look". Watch the emails disappear through thin air
They probably stole the picture anyways.
With that price, mileage should be 300k+

As for chrome door handles, they're mostly the caps that go over them.
I was going to get them for the sienna but some members say that you'll feel the edge of the chrome caps since they don't completely cover the handle.

If there is set that will completely cover it, then it's your call.

I'd rather save that money for better mods.
Old 10-24-08, 11:22 AM
jayrey300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks kayotik. Im looking towards getting one soon or by January09

Thanks GS3tek. For the ls that was posted. I tried to get an address so that i can see it in person. honestly i found the post in the lasvegas section of craigslist (im from the sfbayarea) and noticed that the pictures he sent me we of course the ls430 but the background was different. the house, landscaping and weather didnt look like las vegas. grass in lv is rare not unless you pay the waterdistrict $$ and the patch of grass cannot exceed certain sq footage. so i looked at other signs and found the lic frame.
I really wanted to see it and touch it and not just a picture of it. I will definitely not purchase this LS430.

As far as the chrome door handles. For me I personally dont like it, esp if or when i move to vegas, i wouldnt want to touch a HOT door handle in the summer. not a good thing. Ouch!

My setup will be subtle. nothing to flashy or outrageous. though i will change the grill, put jdm side markers (maybe) and rear deck lip and maybe a staggered setup. i really dont want to loose gas mileage so im going to keep the car within a camber/height. window tint that is the recommend % in las vegas.

The person (chriss locher: crosschrslonc@gmail.com) says that he will ship the car anywhere and i have 3 days. attached is the email:

<Mod: please feel free to verify if this okay to post>

```````````````````````````````````````
Hello,

The sale will be managed by eBay for our own protection as they act as a neutral third part.
eBay will keep the money until you inspect/drive the vehicle. The title is clear.

This is how the Vehicle Purchase Protection Program works:

1. I will contact eBay and give all the info about this deal.
2. They will email us the forms which are needed for our deal.
3. You will send the payment ($6000) to eBay and they will notify me to ship the vehicle to your location.
4. After you will inspect/drive the vehicle and decide to keep it, eBay will forward me the funds and the deal is done.

Remember you have 3 days to test it. If by any reason the vehicle is not as described or if you find any problems with it I will pay for the returning fees. I'm sure it won't be the case because it's a state of art looking and working vehicle. I apologize if it seems like I'm pushing on this deal but I really want to be sure everything is clarified before any further steps.

If you wish to purchase it please provide me your full name, address so I can initiate the deal through eBay.

The car is being shipped from Utah on my expense.

VIN: JTHBN30F210011873

Thank you
Chriss Locher
```````````````````````````````````````
Old 10-24-08, 11:23 AM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's fake bro, c'mon this is an easy one
Old 10-24-08, 11:32 AM
jayrey300
Driver School Candidate

Oh definitely, I will not fall victim to this. thanks for looking out mikemareen.

I will focus on an 04+ LS430 and not settle for anything less. The LS will be for my wife as i will either sell my IS300 or my 07 Triumph Daytona 675 or both to get the car for her. I guess that leave me either taking the bus or walking or taking the odyssey to work.

Last edited by jayrey300; 10-24-08 at 11:33 AM. Reason: wrung werds
Old 10-24-08, 12:06 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Family Man... with Family Car

Originally Posted by jayrey300
Hello everyone.

I have finally signed up here at CL. I am also a member at is300.net/my.is since Oct 2001

Well. I am in the market into getting a GS430 or LS430 since my 01 IS300 (1st owner) I have outgrown and now with 3 little ones, the IS doesnt have the room for it as it just sits in the garage and only driven maybe once every two weeks as we use our odyssey to go around for family trips/etc and my 07' 675 for work.

there is an individual who is selling his/her's 01' LS430 on Craigslist for 6k shipped:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/891621208.html

And it turns out the car is currently in Utah but the license plate frame says McGrath (turns out that it is a lexus dealer somewhere in the Chicago area).

Im kinda skeptical about purchasing this LS430. As this person says he/she is moving to canada and needs to sell it asap. hmm makes you wonder and at a low low price.

On the other hand, ive been searching on the differences between the 01 and 04 and now im leaning towards the 04+ LS ultra.

Im also interested in the GS430 (the last year they have the eshift) but im not sure if i want to pursue the GS family.

For some reason, my wife wants me to look for chrome door handles (exterior). Some reason, she likes chrome door handles. not too sure why. do they make such a thing for the LS? i know that some company out there manufactures a 'chrome -plastic inserts/covers' over the existing door handle. If i can find an LS that already has such a thing, then I will look into purchasing that LS.

Any comment or concern is appreciated! Thank you in advance.
- jay

sfbayarea
1. Definitely get the LS430, preferably '04+ if you can afford it.

2. If we're talking '04+, I was leaning towards the UL also, until I gave it some thought. I have two little ones, still in car seats or boosters, with a third on the way. Once the third one comes, that middle seat is taken and all that "fancy electronics" for the back is DONE ! No one will use it again for the next 15 years, when one of them finally goes off to college or something.

3. The air suspension I did not particularly like from the aspect of, at some point, during the LS430's life, they will need to be changed and at $1K a pop... that's rich.

4. I did like the rear sunshades for the kids... but didn't like that much to up to UL. Tint, 5% is probably better anyway.

So, I chose the CL, heated/cool front seat, heated rear seats, headlamp washers, door closers, smartaccess... what else could you ask for? (yeah yeah, air suspension).

Anyway, good luck with your search. Forget the $6K LS. It's a scam and even if not, a $6K LS would be in crap condition.
Old 10-24-08, 12:23 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hahahahahahaahhaha
Old 10-24-08, 01:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

An easy way to look at it, any car listed for sell with a lower then Carmax trade in price, is a scam.

For anyone that don't care about how much they get for it and just want to get rid of a car, nothing is easier then dropping it off at the Carmax.
Old 10-24-08, 02:21 PM
jayrey300
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone.

AlexusAnja: Thank you for sharing. I totally agree with you. My kids are 5,2, and 7months. There's no way i can fit 1 booster, 1 regular child carseat and a infant carrier in my IS all at once. just no room. i can only put two carseats but the middle is just no room for my wife to be in the middle because the space is about same size of the center armrest that pulls down.

I havent really seen the option packages on an LS but rather on the IS since i own one since day1. the heated seats are a must. Im not too sure if the air suspension is good to have (cost of maintenance wise?). I think that 1k shouldnt be that bad of a cost of repair vs. a repair on a 7 series bmw or E350/550. my other choice is an 06/07 E350 sport but cost on that is a little bit over my budget. esp now-a-days.

congrats and safe delivery for your third one. lemme tell you. it is a challenge for have a 2yr old and a 7mo old so close to each other. each needs special attention where as my 5yr old girl she's self sufficient and now in k-5. anyway..

I guess i will look at the two different packages that the LS430 offers (how many variant/packages did they offer?) and compare cost of vehicle, cost of maintenance, and cost or repair/parts and availbility).

So much thanks.
-Jason
Old 10-24-08, 02:51 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I havent really seen the option packages on an LS but rather on the IS since i own one since day1. the heated seats are a must.
ALL LS430 come with heated seats, so that's not a concern Cooling seat is what you need to pay attention to, some have it, some don't.

Im not too sure if the air suspension is good to have (cost of maintenance wise?). I think that 1k shouldnt be that bad of a cost of repair vs. a repair on a 7 series bmw or E350/550.
That $1k is for EACH airbag/strut assembly, so $4k for the entire suspension, parts only.

Worth it or not, is entirely personal preferences.

I guess i will look at the two different packages that the LS430 offers (how many variant/packages did they offer?) and compare cost of vehicle, cost of maintenance, and cost or repair/parts and availbility).
In a nut shell, the LS430 comes in 5 different variants:

Base
Sport
Modern Luxury
Custom Luxury
Ultra Luxury

Do a search to find more details infos.

Last edited by BNR34; 10-24-08 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-24-08, 06:37 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Drop an EGG

Thank you everyone.

AlexusAnja: Thank you for sharing. I totally agree with you. My kids are 5,2, and 7months. There's no way i can fit 1 booster, 1 regular child carseat and a infant carrier in my IS all at once. just no room. i can only put two carseats but the middle is just no room for my wife to be in the middle because the space is about same size of the center armrest that pulls down.

I havent really seen the option packages on an LS but rather on the IS since i own one since day1. the heated seats are a must. Im not too sure if the air suspension is good to have (cost of maintenance wise?). I think that 1k shouldnt be that bad of a cost of repair vs. a repair on a 7 series bmw or E350/550. my other choice is an 06/07 E350 sport but cost on that is a little bit over my budget. esp now-a-days.

congrats and safe delivery for your third one. lemme tell you. it is a challenge for have a 2yr old and a 7mo old so close to each other. each needs special attention where as my 5yr old girl she's self sufficient and now in k-5. anyway..

So much thanks.
-Jason
That's $1000+ PER WHEEL... not all four. So let's say if your car runs to 170K and by some fluke chance the four air suspensions go on you... that's a $4000+ hit, on a vehicle that's 170K, but you would probably fix it because once it's fixed, it'll run another 170K.

As for trims, like BNR34 said, it's basically:

Base
Modern
Custom
Ultra

Sport was a "sport tuned" suspension that was offered with I believe everything minus the Ultra, because you have the air suspension there.

I only considered the Custom and Ultra luxury levels because Modern is more your "basic" vehicle with Navigation. Nothing special per say, but nice. Base was your "BASE" LS. No Nav, no anything. Just basic works. I believe the base did not even have the rear sunshade.

Once you go Custom, it's NAV, bluetooth, backup camera, along with:

1. Power headlamp washers
2. Power rear sunshade
3. Power door closers

and the Ultra adds upon this the

1. Air suspension
2. Rear door sunshade
3. Mini fridge behind the middle seat
4. Rear audio control
5. Reclining and massaging rear seats.

Real nice the Ultra package... guess that's why they call it the ULTRA package. can't be ultra if your defficient in something.
Old 10-24-08, 06:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Sport was a "sport tuned" suspension that was offered with I believe everything minus the Ultra, because you have the air suspension there.
The sport is a Modern Luxury with a "sport tuned" suspension.

Quick Reply: Hello to everyone (Looking to purchase an LS430 online)