LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2001 Navigation Disk Update 8.1 [still allowing override?]

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-08, 11:02 AM
jabo75
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Navigation Disk Update 8.1 [still allowing override?]

I searched the threads and could not find an answer here.

Does anyone have the latest (as of 10/08) nav dvd installed in a 2001 LS430?

If in fact you do, does it allow you to do the override to be able to program it while moving?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=override
Old 11-01-08, 08:50 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jabo75
I searched the threads and could not find an answer here.

Does anyone have the latest (as of 10/08) nav dvd installed in a 2001 LS430?

If in fact you do, does it allow you to do the override to be able to program it while moving?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=override
For version 7.1 (newest), no override.
Old 11-01-08, 04:05 PM
big_blzr94
Rookie

7.1 still has override in my 02
Old 11-02-08, 01:05 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
Gen 2/3 never had the over ride issue... still can over ride with my gen3 GS 7.1 maps. Still cant on the LS (gen4).
Old 11-02-08, 08:45 AM
Shilly
Driver School Candidate

-see my next message for more info -

I have a 2001 LS with the 8.1 Software that I purchased from the Sewell GB and just tried these instructions posted by OkieState from the thread in your first post:

Originally Posted by OkieState
..... The correct way to do this is:

press Menu [NOT OPTIONS] then select System Options.....when you get to that screen, press upper left, lower left, upper left, lower left then lower right....you will get the tech screen. There you select the options you want.

All this can be found at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...14&postcount=8
and I was able to pull up the tech screen and selected "Override Drive ". When I restarted the car, though, the warning screen still appeared.

What else am I supposed to be able to do? Enter directions while driving?

Last edited by Shilly; 11-11-08 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-02-08, 11:44 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by airtime
My bad
Old 11-02-08, 08:43 PM
jabo75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shilly
What else am I supposed to be able to do? Enter directions while driving?
Yea, That's excatly what you are supposed to be able to do.

Once you hold down the "override" button for 5 or more seconds, you should be able to enter an address while moving.

Could you please confirm that you are able to do that?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-08, 08:04 AM
Shilly
Driver School Candidate

Update to my original post.

It does NOT appear that this override works with the 8.1 software and the 2001 (Gen 2/3) LS430 Hardware. After my original post, it would still not let me enter addresses while driving. I went back this morning (off for Veteran's Day) and re-entered the tech screen. The override Drive button was not darkened from my previous hack. This time I followed jabo75's instructions (2 separate times) and held the Override Drive button for 10 seconds - with no difference. The warning screen still pops up when the car is started and the other items are locked when traveling.

I tried, but it looks like this hack does not override the safety features anymore on the 8.1 software. I do find it odd that the "Override Drive" button is still in the menu though. Maybe they added some new button pushing sequence (other than holding for 5+ seconds) to activate this override. We will have to wait for the hackers or a Lexus Tech to figure it out. I am still happy with the 8.1 maps because a LOT of new roads and businesses have opens up around south Denver since the 2001 map set (that was in my car when I bought it) was made.

"shilly"

Last edited by Shilly; 11-11-08 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-12-08, 07:46 AM
jabo75
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shilly
Update to my original post.

It does NOT appear that this override works with the 8.1 software and the 2001 (Gen 2/3) LS430 Hardware. After my original post, it would still not let me enter addresses while driving. I went back this morning (off for Veteran's Day) and re-entered the tech screen. The override Drive button was not darkened from my previous hack. This time I followed jabo75's instructions (2 separate times) and held the Override Drive button for 10 seconds - with no difference. The warning screen still pops up when the car is started and the other items are locked when traveling.

I tried, but it looks like this hack does not override the safety features anymore on the 8.1 software. I do find it odd that the "Override Drive" button is still in the menu though. Maybe they added some new button pushing sequence (other than holding for 5+ seconds) to activate this override. We will have to wait for the hackers or a Lexus Tech to figure it out. I am still happy with the 8.1 maps because a LOT of new roads and businesses have opens up around south Denver since the 2001 map set (that was in my car when I bought it) was made.

"shilly"
Shilly, The override works only as long as the ingition is on. Once the car is turned off, you have to do the override all over again the next time you turn the ignition on. Also, after holding down the override button, I always hit the "back" button at the top right of the screen before I hit any other buttons.

This override does nothing to eliminate the warning screen.

Lastly, you can't get to the override screen while moving. The "options" button is grayed out until you stop.

Obviously this solution is not as slick as something like the LockPick (had one on my Escalade, it worked great - I assume it would work well on the LS too), which allows acccess to virtually all functions while moving and elimination of the warning screen. But, this work-around doesn't cost 300 bucks either.

Let me know if any of this helps.
Old 11-18-08, 10:56 PM
yehls430
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, but I am a new owner of a used 2003 LS430. With the new 8.1 software, will the look (as in GUI) and functionality change and upgrade? Or is this 8.1 software simply adding new streets to the maps? Any pictures of the original software version (that came with the 2003 LS430) and the new 8.1 software would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Oh, I also found the 8.1 software DVD on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Would this be the correct DVD to purchase?

Last edited by yehls430; 11-18-08 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 06:21 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by yehls430
Hi Everyone,

Sorry, but I am a new owner of a used 2003 LS430. With the new 8.1 software, will the look (as in GUI) and functionality change and upgrade? Or is this 8.1 software simply adding new streets to the maps? Any pictures of the original software version (that came with the 2003 LS430) and the new 8.1 software would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Wondering the same thing.
Old 11-20-08, 02:36 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by yehls430
Hi Everyone,

No, functionality will not change, just more POI's and updates maps.
Yes it is. I wouldn't buy it from that guy though, as he sells them for more then the dealer.
Old 11-20-08, 12:37 PM
yehls430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
No, functionality will not change, just more POI's and updates maps.
Yes it is. I wouldn't buy it from that guy though, as he sells them for more then the dealer.
Thanks for responding. I was hoping it would update the GUI and functionality to match that of the newer cars. Oh well.
Old 11-22-08, 09:20 PM
David M
Driver

Which one do I need for an 06 LS 430? What is a reasonable price to pay? What is dealer list (usually way too high?)

Thanks,
David
Old 11-22-08, 11:28 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Originally Posted by David M
Which one do I need for an 06 LS 430? What is a reasonable price to pay? What is dealer list (usually way too high?)

Thanks,
David
http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=90141&nbc=Y

Use Clublexus discount code: "CL911m"

You need gen 4 navi.

Quick Reply: 2001 Navigation Disk Update 8.1 [still allowing override?]