LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Navigation trim paint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08 | 07:10 PM
TPSTulane
Driver School Candidate

Default Navigation trim paint?

Just picked up a 2002 LS430, The only problem area I have is that the previous owner must have worn a watch because he wore the paint right off the trim. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on where to get some trim paint? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Navigation trim paint?-117_1724xx.jpg  
Old 11-25-08 | 08:45 PM
airtime
Racer
CL Folding 1M

I bet the previous owner had something clip in the right air vent, and whatever it was, it keeps rubbing

This topic has been discussed before. Some opted to get it professionally painted while others decided to take the trim off and do it themselves.

Any way, welcome to CL.
Old 11-25-08 | 09:48 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

I've seen issues like the before but i'm guessing its due to massive rings/long finger nails some people wear.

I would just look for the part on ebay first, that part is small bezel that shouldn't be hard to source.
Old 11-26-08 | 03:28 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

I've read there is "touchup paint" for that part which matches the color, but with that much damage, that would require a lot of paint. I doubt it was a watch, probably rings on finger and pressing the damn "I agree" button every single time scratching the bottom right.

Removing that bezel requires the removal of the bottom piece first, then the CD door, then the radio piece, then the NAV piece... just a long sequence of pieces.
Old 11-28-08 | 12:20 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile You can by an aftermarket woodkit!

Originally Posted by TPSTulane
Just picked up a 2002 LS430, The only problem area I have is that the previous owner must have worn a watch because he wore the paint right off the trim. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on where to get some trim paint? Thanks.
An aftermarket woodkit can cover up most of the outside marks and make any other marks look less obvious if not at all obvious! Woodkits do cost a few bucks but, the touch up paint may not match well with that many scratches! I dont know the cost to buy and install a new part either but, the woodkit is a thought. I have once(birds eye maple woodkit) and they do add to the interior look as well.

All the best when you decide what direction you want to go in. The other option is leaving it as is. May not like that idea but, I think a few marks hear and there add character to a car, it looks driven and not perfect. I have a few marks on the interior myself(2001 LS 430)!
Old 11-28-08 | 12:27 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile WoodDash.com is were some woodkits are sold!

Originally Posted by TPSTulane
Hey, my woodkit is Golden Birdseye, not birdseye maple. Also the kits run about $220 and up at wooddash.com and may find a cheaper price at other companies but, thats wooddash.com's price! All the best!

L.G.N.M
Old 11-29-08 | 09:36 AM
spender
Driver

I had exactly this same problem, and long story short, because it is arguably the most visible/noticeable spot in the whole car, touch-up paint won't do it - it's still too noticeable, and you'll never get a perfect match. Might be okay for a Ford, but not a Lexus. In my case, I ordered a new nav surround assembly (it comes with the vents), was around $200 from Sewell, and then took my car apart to replace it (wasn't that hard - I have a thread here with pictures if anyone wants to find it).
Old 12-24-08 | 01:39 PM
patmall
Driver School Candidate

Hi;I would like to have the thread about the Surround Assembly Thanks and Happy Holidays. Pat.
Old 01-03-09 | 05:12 PM
spender
Driver

Originally Posted by patmall
Hi;I would like to have the thread about the Surround Assembly Thanks and Happy Holidays. Pat.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3127937-post27.html
Old 04-23-12 | 08:01 PM
10scjoejaw
Driver School Candidate

Had the same situation with the trim around my '04 LS430 Navi-screen when purchased from ATL dealer as a CPO... It was on my short punch list prior to purchase. Appears that previous owner would rest the fingers ( middle,ring and pinkie) on the base surface while using the touch screen. This is a normal gesture that allows the right hand to remain steady while touching the screen however the oversight of the "high traffic activity" to the interior cabin engineers responsible for fit and finish resulted in worn paint and a unsightly trim piece. The piece was restored by the the dealer via spraying the identical metallic paint and was no big deal. I say that because it was done fast and appeared to be somewhat of a routine procedure. That said, I hope it helps and it would behoove future design to consider this poor or lack of planning to utilize a glossy piano black or conversely a friction surface that is impervious to daily repeated contact... Maybe even a glass-type base? I need input touching up the stock alloy wheels ...little nicks and such. If anyone's had success with duplo or any brand of touch up paint for the 2004 LS430 wheels (no nail polish suggestions pullleeze...)