LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Now I'm a "full member!" Yay!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-08, 09:02 AM
David M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now I'm a "full member!" Yay!

Finally found the car of my dreams, guys! As you can tell I'm still excited by it. It's a 2006 (and I was anticipating an 04) that is the midnight blue with the Ecru (beige) interior. This blue is really close to black, but I was really tired of waiting for the perfect car, so the wife accepted it, too. It is an Ultra model with the XM radio and the laser/radar cruise control option. The broker made out like that was a $4,000 option when new.
We paid $28,650 for the car and $2,000,000 in Alabama taxes. Well, the title hasn't arrived yet but I expect their extortions will be close to that.
Don't have any pics for ya, but it's just a standard car so far.

Now for a couple questions.
On all my other vehicles, just a touch on the starter and they crank right up, even the diesel. This car usually takes two tries of a couple seconds each. Does that mean it needs a tuneup rather badly? The previous owner maintained it, taking it to Lexus every 3 months so I doubt it's a tuneup issue. What could be needed or is this normal?
Also, I can actually hear this engine while it is running; no other LS has done this -- maybe I'm just being hypersensitive because it's new.
There is a very soft thump that seems to be a tire but the tires look in ok shape, just need replacing soon. They have wear indicating the front end needs alignment but the broker said they have already done that, and checked brake pads, etc. I don't know whether to believe them on that or not. I intend to get it checked over anyway. It has 18" wheels, too. Every body piece I can see has a vin number on it so I take him at his word that there is no damage history on this vehicle. The carfax is clear but when I asked the broker about the lexus records he went mute. I was so excited I didn't care at the time. This might have been a mistake.
Unfortunately, there was only one key fob and the wallet key. Can you open the doors and start the car with the wallet key in your pocket? We really need two keys, one for each of us.
I'm looking for a way to get an external mp3 player input and get that "I agree" to automagically get bypassed. Is that $300 option from um, Vais? the only vendor who has those? Who do you guys recommend.
The GPS database is 05.1 and apparently this is a gen 4 unit. How do you recommend I update it to the latest and greatest?
Now, my 1994 Mitsubishi 3000 VR-4 is up for sale to help pay for this beast. Gas mileage appears to be close to the same between those two cars, with the LS430 getting about 21 mpg highway which is about the same for the VR-4 (I keep detailed records.)
This post is already too long so thanks for listening! Yeehaw.
Old 11-28-08, 09:31 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on your new car.

Yes you can get either a Vaistech or CoastalTech Lockpick for your car. If you want to use the maps while driving using either one of these, you may want to your version at v5.1. Updating to the newest maps will negate the usage of the inputting while moving.
Old 11-28-08, 10:42 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dang 2 million for taxes in alabama...sucks to live there lol.
Old 11-28-08, 10:49 AM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David M
We paid $28,650 for the car and $2,000,000 in Alabama taxes
i hope you typed that wrong lol.... not a bad price for the car though...

about the i agree part.. im not sure if you can bypass that i think you just have to live with pressing i agree
Old 11-28-08, 10:50 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, you paid 2,000,000 for your LS!
Old 11-28-08, 10:57 AM
David M
Driver

dang high taxes
Old 11-28-08, 11:08 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dang... all this time I thought you southern folks didn't pay taxes... ha ha. I'm thinking you were being sarcastic with the $2M in taxes.

Anyway, as for cranking, it shouldn't take more than one crank to start up. Mine is an '04 and it takes about 1-2 seconds to crank over, but it cranks every time. If you need to do it twice most of the time, then I would say something is wrong.

Of, and btw, $28K for an '06 UL is EXCELLENT price, unless the mileage is 180K.

With all the noise you've noted, I would take your baby to a Lexus dealer and have them give it a once-over (about $250) and see if they find anything abnormal. I don't hear or feel my engine, nor do I feel any thumping, so I'm thinking what you have it NOT normal.

As for keys, do you have SmartAccess? The "key card" which has the transponder and the little key on there, the key will open your doors, while the transponder will fit into the ignition and crank the car. I would get another key. It's about $116 shipped from Sewill Lexus and will be cut already to your VIN number. Then when you recieve it, bring to a Lexus dealer and get it programmed for about $50-75.

Welcome to Fantasy Island... enjoy your "new" LS.
Old 11-28-08, 08:14 PM
Carmelstev
Rookie

[QUOTE=David M;4041143]On all my other vehicles, just a touch on the starter and they crank right up, even the diesel. This car usually takes two tries of a couple seconds each. Does that mean it needs a tuneup rather badly? The previous owner maintained it, taking it to Lexus every 3 months so I doubt it's a tuneup issue. What could be needed or is this normal?
Also, I can actually hear this engine while it is running; no other LS has done this -- maybe I'm just being hypersensitive because it's new.

David-Now that you mention it, I have noticed that both my Lexus and my wife's '06 Acura crank for about 2 seconds before starting, whereas my 2000 Acura TL and Chevy truck pretty much start instantly. I wonder if this is programmed into the ECU? If you kept cranking it for 3 or 4 seconds would it start, or do you actually need to give it 2 tries?

As far as hearing the engine, I can just barely hear mine. Kind of distant, like there's a tiny sewing machine in there

Enjoy your new LS!

Steve
Old 11-28-08, 08:25 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant remeber if i would hear my engine or not but i rarely ever hear mine because my exhaust ....
Old 11-28-08, 09:09 PM
David M
Driver

I suppose I need 2 tries. I never use a starter for more than a very few seconds, then stop and let it cool down.
Old 11-29-08, 12:22 AM
Carmelstev
Rookie

I suppose I need 2 tries. I never use a starter for more than a very few seconds, then stop and let it cool down.
David-You can crank it for at least 5 seconds without damaging it. You could actually do this several times without heating the starter motor substantially. Is your LS still under warranty? If so, I'd take it in for a look. Couldn't hurt

Steve
Old 11-29-08, 08:10 AM
David M
Driver

Thank you, Carmelstev. I believe there is some warranty left on it but I'm not sure. I'll take it in next week and find out.
Old 11-29-08, 09:30 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Congrats on the LS

That was my 3rd color choice, after flint mica if I couldn't find black.

Not quite sure if a weak battery in the smart key is involved in the long cranking.

Have you tried putting the key IN the ignition and start to see the difference?
Old 11-29-08, 09:38 AM
Carmelstev
Rookie

Thank you, Carmelstev. I believe there is some warranty left on it but I'm not sure. I'll take it in next week and find out.
David-As long as you have less than 50K miles, you should still be under warranty.
Old 11-29-08, 05:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

David M, congrats on your new Ultra!

May I ask the mileage on it?

Quick Reply: Now I'm a "full member!" Yay!