LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How do you adjust 04+ headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 03:38 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you adjust 04+ headlights

Did some searching but couldn't find anything for the LS. LOTS of info for GS's and other cars though.

After installing new bulbs, the are visibly lower than they should be. Does anyone know how to adjust the vertical and horizontal direction of the headlights. They have auto levelers and AFS but still need adjustment

Last edited by bigcory; 12-01-08 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 07:48 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

ttt.......
Old 12-02-08, 10:29 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
Question

If you don't have the manual, I'll scan that page for you.

There's an adjustment screw under the rubber grommet that you lift up.
I tried it once and failed-no luck. It's no damn rocket science either

It was alot easier in my GS.

My left one could go a little higher.
Old 12-02-08, 11:50 AM
bigcory
Lead Lap

yeah if you dont mind. Or give me the page number and which manual it is in. I searched throught he whole thing and couldn't find any info.

Or give me some directions or a picture as to which grommet? there are a butt load of them around there.
Old 12-02-08, 12:03 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i thought 04 plus....was auto-leveling?

Unless you mean...just to set the height....
Old 12-02-08, 12:06 PM
bigcory
Lead Lap

lol...see first post and read thoroughly....

Yes 04+ does auto level and it is working just fine, but they are still to low. When I installed my new 6500k bulbs, the height of the cut off dropped. When i'm behind a car by a few car lengths it doesn't even touch their bumpers......

Last edited by bigcory; 12-02-08 at 12:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-04-08, 04:35 PM
GS3Tek

I thought I had the manual stored on the right side in the trunk but it wasn't there
While I was there, didn't realize how thick the manual for the nav was

I'll look for it again and will scan you that page.
Old 12-04-08, 07:01 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bigcory
Did some searching but couldn't find anything for the LS. LOTS of info for GS's and other cars though.

After installing new bulbs, the are visibly lower than they should be. Does anyone know how to adjust the vertical and horizontal direction of the headlights. They have auto levelers and AFS but still need adjustment
If this happened right after installing bulbs then you must have installed them improperly.
Old 12-05-08, 08:13 PM
Carmelstev
Rookie

Cory-
When I got my 2005 a few months ago, the first thing I noticed was that the headlights were set way too low, with an extremely sharp cutoff. It was so bad, I didn't feel comfortable going more than about 40 MPH due to outrunning my low beams. Adjusting the headlights is really kind of a pain, but it has made a huge difference. The good news is that the LS has such incredible lights, once you get them right, they are superior to anything else out there.

OK, above and behind the headlights there is a a gray plastic housing. This houses the adjusting gears. You will see an access hole with what looks like a gear inside. The theory is you stick a flat screwdriver inside and move the gear to go up or down. The gear is linked to the high beam with another gear, so as you move it, they are both adjusted. I do not believe there is a sideways adjustment. I unfortunately found this gear to be too stiff to move with any effectiveness. What I ended up doing was removing the plastic housing which is secured with I believe 4 screws and adjusting them separately. Getting the screws out and then back in was a pain, but once the housing is off, it's so much easier. I aimed the headlights onto my garage door at dusk and then drove around to check them. There are several web sights which will show you what properly adjusted lights should look like. My advice is to be pretty aggressive with how far you aim the low-beams. The LS has such a sharp cut-off that I've never once had anyone flash me, and I have them aimed down the road pretty far. Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 12-06-08, 10:53 AM
GS3Tek

Red face

^^^ pretty much what Steve said, but here are the pictures finally.
I had such hard time/scanning/resizing/logging in to photobucket, but it's done

page 503 in the manual

Old 12-06-08, 01:13 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the image GS3Tek.

Does it show a step before that to remove the housing to reach the gears?

When I peeked in, I can see gears for bolt 1, and tries using a screw drive to move the gears but as Carmelstev mentioned, it's really tough. I can see how the white plastic housing can be removed but don't see how to get to bolt 2?

My driver side seems to be aimed bit low too. About 2 cars ahead and it drops to the ground. The passenger side seems to be close to the right height though.
Old 12-06-08, 01:31 PM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by airtime

When I peeked in, I can see gears for bolt 1, and tries using a screw drive to move the gears but as Carmelstev mentioned, it's really tough. I can see how the white plastic housing can be removed but don't see how to get to bolt 2?

My driver side seems to be aimed bit low too. About 2 cars ahead and it drops to the ground. The passenger side seems to be close to the right height though.
No problem.

Page before that shows how to ADD WASHER FLUID-no one better need that

My driver is alittle lower than the right side too. I also tried before but gave up b/c it was a little hard. I'm going to try it again.
Old 12-06-08, 02:42 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
No problem.

Page before that shows how to ADD WASHER FLUID-no one better need that

My driver is alittle lower than the right side too. I also tried before but gave up b/c it was a little hard. I'm going to try it again.
If you try again, take some pictures
Old 12-06-08, 08:15 PM
Carmelstev
Rookie

Originally Posted by airtime

Airtime-
If you remove the housing, you will be able to access both adjusters easily. There is actually a worm gear connecting the two gears when the housing is on. I think that's why it's so hard to move the single accessible gear, because you're actually moving both lights. With the housing off and only moving one at a time, you can turn them by hand. The only down side to removing the housing is that it's a pain to get the screws out and even harder to get them back in. I used a #2 phillips bit in a socket and was able to get into the tight areas, but it was tough. Good luck.

Steve