LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Everyone who has a UL, please read this

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08, 09:39 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sojah
so i'm about to buy an 05 ul ls430 hopefully on monday mainly to slap on an air data systems controller thing to make it sit all pretty like, now i'm curious if the asus controller thing is actually bad for the car since its pretty much a 100% aftermarket part and all. i really wanted to keep this lexus close to stock except for like the grill, tint, lights, sub + amp n what not. what kinds of negative issues would i possibly be looking at because i can ill afford to replace the struts at 1000/ a piece in the near term???
From what I read on the forum regarding the air data systems controller, most people don't have problem with it, but some people do, the car go up and down and act all funny on them, but it could be a set up issue. My feeling with that controller is, it is a quality and proven piece, but it is an aftermarket component, so it is going to be less reliable them OEM.

The good thing is, if it does act funny, you can always unplug it to go back to stock, no one said it actually did any damage to the car.

Unless you want to put the car on the ground or move it up and down to an extreme level in a regular basis, you don't need the controller. Sounds like you just want to lower it and leave it, like I am. All I did was adjusted the height sensor rod and call it a day. It sit low enough to look good and it is 100% stock reliable. You can actually slam it down pretty low if you cut the rod.
Old 12-12-08, 10:15 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well i think that for less than a grand (hopefully half of a grand), and the ability to just put it back to normal with the press of a button or return to stock by just unplugging is well worth the cost.

Ideally I would like to be able to put the car on the wheels (L) whenever i turn it off and raise it up to a nice low but still drivable setting (maybe like 6 or 7) when ever i start the car up and try to drive. Not sure how feasible this is but from what i can tell the data systems controller (asc680 thing) seems to be what most people go with.
Old 12-12-08, 11:50 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

not really doable everytime you park the car, it takes 5-8 min to lower the car on wheels, and takes at least 5 min to raise it back.
I don't have the patient.
Old 12-12-08, 01:30 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

this is what i thought too, but i read that someone on here says that its safe to have it be going up or down while driving...? is this true and what if you hit a bump while it is going up or down???
Old 12-12-08, 01:53 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

For the datacontroller speed. If you are driving mid height, say 5, the time it takes to drop all the way is faster, like 2min or so. Same goes if you are dropped to L, then to a 5 driving height.

Now, if you are talking normal height to "L", yes, it does take 5 minutes for the full drop. Note: I've heard that you should not turn off your engine while the datasystem controller is adjusting your height. I followed this rule and never had any issues with it adjusting on its own or lobsided settings.
Old 12-12-08, 02:49 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea I always have my car on, while the suspension is adjusting....I really didn't know it could still adjust w/ the car being off?
Old 12-13-08, 07:44 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

thanks for the tips, is it also safe to adjust the height while driving???
Old 12-13-08, 09:25 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

In most cases, I've adjusted while driving. No issues yet (knock on wood )

The car does not adjust with engine turned off but it would make sense not to turn car off whiles its doing the adjustment as its sending a command to the car and if you cut power off while its in that operation, it may not remember when you turn the car back on.
Old 01-29-09, 06:25 PM
AirZenith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus onboard air compressor

Originally Posted by junjdm
hmm....thats pretty scary.....I def. would rather pay $400 each...than $1000 each. How can you tell if your bags went bad?
Can anyone post up pictures of his Lexus Original Equipped air compressor? Many thanks!
Old 01-29-09, 06:58 PM
mikepae
Pole Position

not a good idea. sometimes the car lowers past the set low ride height (must be the downforce or the auto-lowering-at-high-speeds function) and the wheels will tuck so much that the inner tire will rub against the strut causing sidewall separation of the tires. and im defiantly fastbagging once the shocks expire if i have to dump 4 dimes anyway
Old 01-30-09, 04:51 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

since i am having a hard time finding a decent priced datasystem controller i am reconsidering using the instructions (i think airtime put them up) to just lower the car by the sensors to a nice lowered driving stance like say the equivalent of like a 5-7 (not sure which would be a nice safe lowered setting) and then when i need it up higher just hitting the high switch on the inside of the car. any idea if this is a smart idea or not??

if i lower the sensors to a low driving height that is still functional for most roads and then if i hit the high button on the inside of the car what will happen exactly? how high will the car go??
Old 01-30-09, 09:49 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It should raise up close to or slightly above normal ride height. I have adjusted the rods on mine and love the look.
Old 01-30-09, 10:36 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i saw a diy from airtime on the faq page here but airtime didn't know if the fronts should be lifted up when adjusting or pulled down (when trying to lower it)? i really want to do mines like this weekend, but i am scared that it won't be even on all 4 corners. how easy and fool proof was this process?? should i just put a little notch for where they were positioned stock then just loosen the nut and slide the things down a little?? what did you do??
Old 01-30-09, 11:04 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

alright so i just studied airtimes instructions and feel like it makes pretty good sense, but i have a question still. if i crawl underneath the back and make the adjustments, turn the car on and see it lower, can i then crawl back underneath the car to make smaller adjustments if it is all the way dropped by lowering the sensor bar or will the car be to low to get underneath it at this point.

by lowering the rear sensor bars all the way down, and by turning the front bars all the way to the lowering side, how low will this make the car, and can you still drive easily like this?? can you still crawl under the car at this height in the rear or do you have to get it up in the air??
Old 01-30-09, 11:57 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I am planning to go aftermarket.

Either cheap way is to get Tein CS and say "bye-bye" to Air.

Or I will get some from this company. www.air-zenith.com
I talked to the president in person, and he can get a whole set for me for cheap.
Please clarify cheap How much for one and how much for all four?

Quick Reply: Everyone who has a UL, please read this